Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

How do the dining programs work behind the scenes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Just curious - How do the airline / hotel dining programs (Ex. AAdvantage dining, HHonors dining) work behind the scenes? Under any of the programs, you register a specific credit card and then receive air / hotel points when you use that card at a restaurant that participates in the program. How does the purchase information get routed back to the dining program for credit? Do the programs work directly with the Amex, Mastercard, and Visa networks? If you were to register one card to two different programs, would each program give you credit for a single purchase transaction?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Just curious - How do the airline / hotel dining programs (Ex. AAdvantage dining, HHonors dining) work behind the scenes? Under any of the programs, you register a specific credit card and then receive air / hotel points when you use that card at a restaurant that participates in the program. How does the purchase information get routed back to the dining program for credit? Do the programs work directly with the Amex, Mastercard, and Visa networks? If you were to register one card to two different programs, would each program give you credit for a single purchase transaction?
I can only answer the last question. The system will not allow you to register one card for more than one program. If you try you will get a message saying this card has already been registered, something along that line. You can delete a card from one program and then re-register it in another if you want.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Notenut
I can only answer the last question. The system will not allow you to register one card for more than one program. If you try you will get a message saying this card has already been registered, something along that line. You can delete a card from one program and then re-register it in another if you want.
In my experience, there is no need to delete the card from one program and then re-register it in another for Rewards Network affiliated dining programs - I have simply registered the card with a second program and it automatically removed it from the current program (while keeping it registered in the new program) and sent me emails to that effect.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Originally Posted by FindAWay
In my experience, there is no need to delete the card from one program and then re-register it in another for Rewards Network affiliated dining programs - I have simply registered the card with a second program and it automatically removed it from the current program (while keeping it registered in the new program) and sent me emails to that effect.
I had the opposite experience recently. I tried registering a card and received the card has already been registered message. I had to go unregister it from the other program first.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by patrickATX
Originally Posted by FindAWay
I had the opposite experience recently. I tried registering a card and received the card has already been registered message. I had to go unregister it from the other program first.
Interesting - I wonder if it matters between which one is switching a card.

When I register a card with a different program, I first get an email related to the old program like the following:

You recently registered a credit or debit card you had previously registered with XXXXXXXXXXX DiningSM in another dining program operated by Rewards NetworkSM. Credit and debit cards can only be registered in one dining program run by Rewards Network at a time. As a result, you will no longer earn rewards through XXXXXXXXXXX DiningSM when you dine and pay with this card. Instead, you will earn rewards through the new program you moved the card to.
followed by an email related to the new program like the following:

Thank you for updating your YYYYYYYYYYYYY Dining credit / debit card information. The changes you made are effective immediately.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patrickATX
I wonder if it might work differently depending on how long the card had been registered, and/or how many cards you'll have left (after auto-deleting).

The RN system won't easily let you delete (unregister) the last card from a particular RN program. You always need to leave one card there. (It doesn't have to be a current card, it can be an expired card, since they only check the number, not the expiration date, when you register.)

In all the cases where I've moved cards just by registering at the "new" program (without manually unregistering at the old program), it's been at least a couple months since I'd registered that card in the other program. (And I'm leaving a few cards in the old program in most cases.)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I wonder if it might work differently depending on how long the card had been registered, and/or how many cards you'll have left (after auto-deleting).

The RN system won't easily let you delete (unregister) the last card from a particular RN program. You always need to leave one card there. (It doesn't have to be a current card, it can be an expired card, since they only check the number, not the expiration date, when you register.)

In all the cases where I've moved cards just by registering at the "new" program (without manually unregistering at the old program), it's been at least a couple months since I'd registered that card in the other program. (And I'm leaving a few cards in the old program in most cases.)
I went back and looked. The card I was registering on the new program was the only card on the other program so that may have been the reason for why it did it that way. I forgot I had to add a different card and then remove the one I wanted to change.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
The dining program works with the credit card networks. When you register your card on the dining program website, that card information is stored in a special file that is reconciled against all credit cards used at a Dining restaurant participant. A 'script' if you will is ran automatically at the end of each business day that will reconcile any 'registered dining credit card' to what is listed in the Dining database this information is then fed to the Dining Rewards network who will then credit the appropriate FF or Rewards account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.