Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia Special (Medical) Assistance Contact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: American, Delta

Does anybody have a number or name of anybody at Iberia to contact regarding “special (medical) assistance” for a flight, something similar to American’s Special Assistance office. My wife and I are departing for a two month trip (Boston-Rome) in about ten days. We are flying Iberia business class using American miles so we booked through American.

We started calling Iberia about two weeks ago to arrange some details for our flight. My wife has a number of medical problems. In addition to needing wheel chair assistance, which we were able to arrange, we asked about bringing a C-PAP machine (about the size of a large purse) and medication on board. We also asked about the C-PAP not counting toward our carry-on allotment, something every airline we have ever taken has approved, including American, Delta, EasyJet, British Air etc. Finally because my wife has two months worth of prescription medicine, which is quite a bit, and more than she can to put in a carry on, we pack some of her medication in one bag and check it. However, if this bag was lost it would be impossible to replace and dangerous for her, so we asked if Iberia could make arrangements to hand load this particular suitcase with the medicine to make sure it got on the plane. This is something American Special Assistance suggested to us when we went to the U.K for six months and something American has done for us a number of times.

The bottom line is that the folks answering the 800 number for Iberia (in the U.S.) besides not seeming to understand what we are requesting said they have no authority to do anything. They said they just take reservations and there was no department or person at Iberia they could direct us to. A wonderful supervisor from American even called for us and she said at the end of the call that she had no confidence that anything we requested would be noted or followed.

Hence my request. Does anybody have any suggestions who to contact at Iberia. We are willing to call Spain if necessary. I could find nothing on the WEB site.

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by eagle2
Does anybody have a number or name of anybody at Iberia to contact regarding “special (medical) assistance” for a flight, something similar to American’s Special Assistance office. My wife and I are departing for a two month trip (Boston-Rome) in about ten days. We are flying Iberia business class using American miles so we booked through American.

We started calling Iberia about two weeks ago to arrange some details for our flight. My wife has a number of medical problems. In addition to needing wheel chair assistance, which we were able to arrange, we asked about bringing a C-PAP machine (about the size of a large purse) and medication on board. We also asked about the C-PAP not counting toward our carry-on allotment, something every airline we have ever taken has approved, including American, Delta, EasyJet, British Air etc. Finally because my wife has two months worth of prescription medicine, which is quite a bit, and more than she can to put in a carry on, we pack some of her medication in one bag and check it. However, if this bag was lost it would be impossible to replace and dangerous for her, so we asked if Iberia could make arrangements to hand load this particular suitcase with the medicine to make sure it got on the plane. This is something American Special Assistance suggested to us when we went to the U.K for six months and something American has done for us a number of times.

The bottom line is that the folks answering the 800 number for Iberia (in the U.S.) besides not seeming to understand what we are requesting said they have no authority to do anything. They said they just take reservations and there was no department or person at Iberia they could direct us to. A wonderful supervisor from American even called for us and she said at the end of the call that she had no confidence that anything we requested would be noted or followed.

Hence my request. Does anybody have any suggestions who to contact at Iberia. We are willing to call Spain if necessary. I could find nothing on the WEB site.

Thanks
Hola Eagle2:

Well, first of all, this is the first time I read a similar story. Step by step:

- Wheel chair assistance: you have to ask for it when you book. As long as it seems that you already solved this, there is no need to comment it more. Just ask for it again at the time of the check-in. (Sometimes the check-in agents go too fast and they don't see particular requests.)

- C-PAP machine: in principle, and considering that the machine is more or less small (purse size), you shouldn't have problems to carry it with you on board. As far as I know, you don't need to ask for any permission or whatever.
Sometimes I saw people carrying oxygen or something, and in this case you can ask Iberia to provide (some) particular medical device if they have it. However, as you are bringing your own one, in principle you can take it with you. Maybe he/she will tell you to visit Iberia's doctor to make a certificate that the crew could ask you, but I'm not sure about it. I know that in Spain, they have their own doctors at the airports that deal with this kind of issues. I guess that in the US these services will be outsourced to a handling company. In think that in Boston it's Swissport that manages everything related to passenger assistance. However, just explain to the check-in agent the problem, and in my opinion he/she will tell you "OK, go ahead". Once on board, I'd tell the purser about the machine (if he is a man, he will wear the plain blue tie, if she is a woman, a red blouse) just for safety reasons (maybe he will ask you to put in somewhere).

- Extra bag with medicines: Again, being a particular case, I'm sure they will allow you to board the bag with you. You alsohave two alternatives:

1) The easy one is that there is a special compartment to store particular personal belongings that cannot be checked-in, as personal computers, chairs for babies, etc. They normally ask you to leave them at the end of the finger, before boarding the aircraft, and then at MAD they put them again next to the door. Like this, for sure you won't loose them. (However, don't worry... you won't loose them if you check them.)

2) I also know that there is an option to "secure" your baggage. You have to pay an extra amount, and it's not very frequent, but think about it. However, I'd prefer the 1st option or even take the bag with you on board.

However... are you sure that you will be able to enter the medecines in the European Union? I don't know if the authorities allow to import medicines.

To sum up: I don't think you need to send a particular request. Telling the problem the day you leave should be OK.

However, just to be sure about it, I'll ask a friend that works at Iberia. Let's say what he says. Go back in some days, and I'll tell you the answer.

See you and enjoy Rome!

Last edited by GatoVolador; Mar 20, 2008 at 11:05 am
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:02 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by GatoVolador
...However... are you sure that you will be able to enter the medecines in the European Union? I don't know if the authorities allow to import medecines. ...
The previous post gave some great advice; just to follow up on the medicine question, most countries allow importing a 30 day supply of medication for personal use. More than that requires an import license (which is tightly controlled and difficult to get unless you are a pharmaceutical company). So you can either lie to customs and say that your 60 day supply is only a 30 day supply (and that is probably plausible), or make arrangements to get medication in Europe after your 30 day supply runs out. Also some medications are banned, so you might want to check the specific items. If you are caught with proscribed medicine, your trip through customs will not be pleasant and will take a day or 2. Technically you are required to have a valid prescription for each item (correct date, name, doctor signature, etc.) and a notarized translation into Spanish of each one (but this requirement is only enforced if they want to throw the book at you for some other reason).

Does your C-PAP machine need electrical power? If it does it won't be available on the IB plane (not the same type as AA) and you might need a specific seat (or not be able to use the machine inflight). The power situation on airplanes is complex and there are a lot of differences between airlines, so you might need to investigate that if you are counting on electrical for anything.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by number_6
The previous post gave some great advice; just to follow up on the medicine question, most countries allow importing a 30 day supply of medication for personal use. More than that requires an import license (which is tightly controlled and difficult to get unless you are a pharmaceutical company). So you can either lie to customs and say that your 60 day supply is only a 30 day supply (and that is probably plausible), or make arrangements to get medication in Europe after your 30 day supply runs out. Also some medications are banned, so you might want to check the specific items. If you are caught with proscribed medicine, your trip through customs will not be pleasant and will take a day or 2. Technically you are required to have a valid prescription for each item (correct date, name, doctor signature, etc.) and a notarized translation into Spanish of each one (but this requirement is only enforced if they want to throw the book at you for some other reason).

Does your C-PAP machine need electrical power? If it does it won't be available on the IB plane (not the same type as AA) and you might need a specific seat (or not be able to use the machine inflight). The power situation on airplanes is complex and there are a lot of differences between airlines, so you might need to investigate that if you are counting on electrical for anything.
I'm not sure, but I'd say they have plugs that can switch to the US standards to use electrical devices. Otherwise, you can buy an adapter for a few $$ at Boston.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, Delta
Thanks Gatovaldor. I look forward to hearing whether you can get additional information or a contact. My wife is very nervous about sdhowing up at the airport without this being settled.

Re: the CPAP does not use it on the plane, but takes it on the plane because it is fragile and she needs it once we arrive at our destination.

On the bringing in of medicine in the past we have not had a problem in EU countries as long as we have documentation that is for personal use. Buying it while we are away involves getting a local doctor to write prescriptions and is pretty complicated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.