Search

Cardholder Not Present issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Silver, Monarch Gold
Cardholder Not Present issue

I need a bit of advice/ have a rant

I booked a flight for my partner to come from Panama to the UK.

I have done this many times before with no issue. This time he could not check in onlinea. We called the contact centre and they said that I would need to present my card at an airport in the UK. Given the time frame this was not possible.

After about three hours and separate phone calls and almost everyone giving us different information we rebooked for what was supposed to be the same price minus a fee

Due to personal circumstances this is the most upset I've been with a company.

They said it's in the T&C's but I did a dummy booking and found this info hidden in after three clicks and a lot of scrolling.

Do I have recourse? I am about £200 down with charges and they have uplifted the cost of the ticket. Not to mention the utter stress of trying to deal with this.

I had something similar with BA years ago, they simply took the money from a different card and refunded the original - painless and did not cost me.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The information is there, so you don't really have any legal recourse.

And it's not really all that hidden. Quite recently I booked a flight for my partner using my Avios, and it was rather obvious that they might ask for the payment card, so I gave it to her to take to the airport.

It isn't really a clear-cut "court of public opinion" thing either that the press would pick up on, since I suspect that quite a few people would be thrilled that people can't just buy plane tickets using hacked/skimmed/whatever credit card details...

Could Iberia handle it better? Naturally... but it's Iberia and the bureaucratic Spanish culture of "can't bend the rules for you or I'll lose my job"

I know people find it easier and often more sensible to just pay for travel for their partner, but generally it works out better to have them pay themselves and just transfer the money to their bank account. Saves hassle from online fraud checks and situations such as this one.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hi,

normally with an extract from the credit card where the charge is reflected and a photocopy from the passport, should be OK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.