Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios redemption on Vueling: extra seat?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Amex Plat (UK)
Avios redemption on Vueling: extra seat?

Hi all,

I'm considering using Avios on a Vueling flight. If I were booking directly with VY for cash I would tick the "extra seat" box to get an empty middle between me and my partner, but since I'll be using Avios is it possible to redeem a third seat and have it designated as an EXST?

I'll call IB to discuss it but would like to know what to expect first.

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
IB+ are probably not going to understand what you want.

I believe that VY don't really do overbooking, however, in which case your no-show seat would almost certainly still go out empty.

That said, most people just pay to reserve an aisle and window seat in one of the more expensive forward rows. If the flight is truly full, then you offer the window or the aisle to the unlucky person stuck in the middle. The computer fills seats from the back to the front, so the flight would have to be really quite full for a 3B, say, to be allocated to somebody. (but in that case you probably won't find 3 award seats)
Old May 20, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Amex Plat (UK)
It's really not that uncommon to buy an extra seat if the passenger is larger than average or they're travelling with a large valuable piece of hand luggage like a musical instrument. On most airlines, the extra seat costs the same as the fare paid but without the taxes and fees added. On vueling.com for a cash booking, you just tick the "extra seat" box and it charges you 2x the fare but you only fill in one passenger's details.

So I suspect they'll know what I'm on about, whether or not they know how to do it for a redemption.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, but you're not booking directly with Vueling, you're asking Iberia to book an unnamed "extra seat" on a partner airline.

Which makes me wonder whether it's legal to charge departure taxes and airport charges on empty seats, but that's another discussion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.