Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

When does Iberia release space to partners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

I have been calling American Airlines daily to check if Iberia has released any award space on a flight from Madrid to Chicago late this August.

Each time I call they don't see any availability.

When would they typically release this Award Space? Has it already happened possibly? How long would you wait before going a different route?

I have AA miles that I would love to use for this route and that fit our itinerary perfectly.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:19 am

Award space is released 11 months before the flights and (unlike BA) IB don't make a habit of releasing more seats close to the day. The one possibility you could have is to try adding an extra leg to the flight (start somewhere other than MAD), because they have married segment availability. Sometimes there are seats for BCN-MAD-ORD but not for MAD-ORD. Of course, this probably won't work for you if you have a specific itinerary in mind.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
August is peak summer holiday season in Spain. Award space will have been booked a long time ago.

It might be worth keeping in mind that AA now flies between Chicago and Barcelona with a new 787. You might have better luck with award availability on that route.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for the quick responses, and I was afraid we were a little to late to the party.

Spain is the end of our trip so we can really end in either Barcelona or Madrid.

Currently working with about 90k American Airlines miles (and unrelated to this thread 60k United miles).

I'll keep looking, would hate to drop Spain from the itinerary!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.