Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade I2 Y>J with Avios or cash?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
Upgrade I2 Y>J with Avios or cash?

Can one upgrade a Y seat on Iberia Express with either Avios or cash, and if so for how much?

Or some say that the best seat on I2 A320 is actually the Y exit row -- in that case, can one pay extra cash to get these seats in advance?

thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:24 am

I can only say something to the case when booking an I2 operated flight through Iberia.
When you booked the fare incl. baggage and seat reservation ("classic") than you are able to bid for an cash upgrade in advance (go to mange my booking on iberia homepage). the same applies to exit-seats. you can book them during the booking process or late through manage my booking (only for cash).
in some cases you can also pay for a cash upgrade during online check-in.

i have the experience for MAD-DUS and MAD-TXL and return.
the bid starts at 60 to 80€ one way.

exit seats start at 22€ I guess.

i guess upgrade via avios is only possible on long haul and only when booking in the high/flexible fare classes.

and yes you are right: at I2 the seats in J are the same like in Y with same pitch of 28" !!! in dear guru they write business has 30" but my personal feeling is that it's not!
so if space is important overall, take the exit row!

Last edited by Paet; Jan 18, 2017 at 2:37 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Is depending on the flight length for me. Do you prefer the elbow room or leg room. I sacrafice leg room for elbow room all day long. What is it worth to you? Leg spacing more important, so then grab an exit. Need the shoulder room? Get up front. Decide how much it is worth to you. Only you can answer that question.

Also, Paet is correct here. Legroom is terrible but for the exit. Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I don't agree that the business class seats have the same pitch as Y. They are 30 inches, it's just that 30 inches is not a lot (but no worse than BA). I do agree that for legroom it's better to take the exit row in Y, though the space is generally a bit better on the aircraft with the new slim seats. Not sure if you can pay to book exit rows, I'm able to select for free as OWE (though I've found making advance seat reservations stick when you book via IB to be an unpredictable experience, I often have to do it again at check-in).

Don't know about upgrading with Avios or in advance with cash, I have been offered the cash upgrade at online check-in, about EUR 60 for a 2 hour flight if I recall correctly. With these, you only get the miles and status points for the Y ticket you bought, if that matters to you. Also bear in mind that I2 flights can have as few as 6 business class seats, depending on aircraft, so availability is sometimes an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.