Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia+ Qualifying flights for status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Iberia+ Qualifying flights for status

Hi

On BA, you need a minimum number of BA flights to attain status. I don't see any reference on IB's website to a similar requirement for a minimum number of IB coded flights to achieve IB status.

An anyone tell me if I am missing something, or if indeed there is no minimum requirement on IB?

Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:22 pm

To get Plata (Ruby) or Oro (Sapphire) you need one flight operated by IB, VY or BA (or IB Express or Air Nostrum). Curiously enough (and I hadn't noticed this before, since it's beyond my reach) to get Platino (Emerald) it seems that you do not need any IB flights, just the Puntos Elite.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that info. So this means that if you are just interested in getting to OW sapphire status but have a problem with qualifying flights on BA, it's better to credit your flights to IB.....good to know!^^
Old May 1, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by djkjam
Thanks for that info. So this means that if you are just interested in getting to OW sapphire status but have a problem with qualifying flights on BA, it's better to credit your flights to IB.....good to know!^^
I'd caution on such a simple approach to deciding where to credit. There is a lot more to consider regarding which status you would prefer to have, and the cost of obtaining it.

Also for BA status note that the qualifying flights can be:
- marketed by British Airways (you have a BA flight number)
- operated by British Airways (even if other flight number, BA or franchise/subsidiary aircraft)
- marketed and operated by British Airways (BA number and BA/franchise/subsid aircraft
- marketed and operated by Iberia (IB number and IB/franchise aircraft)
Old May 1, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A
I'd caution on such a simple approach to deciding where to credit. There is a lot more to consider regarding which status you would prefer to have, and the cost of obtaining it.

Also for BA status note that the qualifying flights can be:
- marketed by British Airways (you have a BA flight number)
- operated by British Airways (even if other flight number, BA or franchise/subsidiary aircraft)
- marketed and operated by British Airways (BA number and BA/franchise/subsid aircraft
- marketed and operated by Iberia (IB number and IB/franchise aircraft)
Thanks taking the time to for point this out David-A. It spurred me to analyse my situation a bit more closely. Based on my travel pattern between now and Mar 31 next year, which is based purely on cost/schedule convenience (a few short haul domestic AA in Y, four long haul sectors in QR in J, 2 long haul sectors in BA in J) the maths suggests that crediting to IB or BA is the only way to get the 'status points' (in whatever form) needed to get to OW Sapphire equivalent. However I would not meet the four sector requirement to get to Silver/Sapphire that BA has, so that leaves IB.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by djkjam
Hi

On BA, you need a minimum number of BA flights to attain status. I don't see any reference on IB's website to a similar requirement for a minimum number of IB coded flights to achieve IB status.

An anyone tell me if I am missing something, or if indeed there is no minimum requirement on IB?

Thanks.
25 flights per year (01/04-31/03Y+1) for Plata/Silver
50 flight per year (01/04 -31/03 Y+1) for Oro/Gold
Old May 3, 2016, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ites81
25 flights per year (01/04-31/03Y+1) for Plata/Silver
50 flight per year (01/04 -31/03 Y+1) for Oro/Gold
That's to gain status just with number of flights, regardless of points (and it's the same with BAEC, but with different criteria for what's a qualifying flight). If you earn status with Puntos Elite you only need one flight with IB, BA or VY.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Yllanes
To get Plata (Ruby) or Oro (Sapphire) you need one flight operated by IB, VY or BA (or IB Express or Air Nostrum). Curiously enough (and I hadn't noticed this before, since it's beyond my reach) to get Platino (Emerald) it seems that you do not need any IB flights, just the Puntos Elite.
Hi Yllanes,

I am back to Silver but I have two long haul bookings with QR and AA that will be sufficient to go back to Gold. Do I still need one flight with IB/VY or BA? if I google IB+ Gold it mentions the 2250 elite points but not the need of the one IAG group flight.

Thanks,
Old May 20, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I just looked while using the Spanish version and see this condition:

Efectuando al menos 1 vuelo con código IB, operado por Iberia o por otra compañía partner asociada del programa Iberia Plus, Vueling o British Airways en aquellas tarifas que computen para la obtención de Puntos Elite o si alternativamente realizas 50 vuelos en las condiciones anteriormente descritas.
So yes...you need the IB/VY/BA flight
Old May 20, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by LupineChemist

Thanks LupineChemist!
Old May 28, 2016, 11:01 am

How long to upgrade to new status?

I'm all done with the points needed to upgraded to Gold, but lacking that one IB-flight. After taking that flight, how long would it take for my new status to take effect? Is it immediately or could it take weeeeeeks? Thanks!
Old May 28, 2016, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
I'm all done with the points needed to upgraded to Gold, but lacking that one IB-flight. After taking that flight, how long would it take for my new status to take effect? Is it immediately or could it take weeeeeeks? Thanks!
It should only take a couple of days at the most to update on the IB website and on the app to get, for instance, the electronic card.

However, if you have reservations with other OW airlines, they will probably take at least a couple of weeks to recognise your status automatically (for seat selection, etc.). Sometimes removing your FF number and adding it again helps, sometimes it doesn't.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:56 am

Thanks for answering! I got 3 weeks till arriving in HKG with CX - should work then
Old May 31, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist

My Spanish isn't that good...does this mean that for gold you have to do one qualifying flight with an IB code, or can the one qualifying flight be on a BA code?

thanks!
Old May 31, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
It can be a BA code so long as it's operated by BA/IB/VY as I read it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.