Wiki Posts
Search

Should I interline or not?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Should I interline or not?

I'm traveling on one ticket JFK to MAD (DL) and then on another ticket from MAD to AGP (IB or actually Air Nostrum). I think I can most likely interline my luggage from Atlanta to AGP and I have done similar baggage transfer between DL and LH. However, I have found that when I check in for the European flight, they can be confused about how to handle my checked bag (yes, I have a checked bag but it's being interlined).
My question is: should I interline the bags or is it safer (more probability of not losing bags) to pick the bags up in MAD and recheck at the ticket counter of IB? I have nearly 3 hours in MAD between flights.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: MUCCI
I'd through check the bags.

That way if something goes wrong and your inbound is delayed, you don't need to worry about reclaiming bags, getting around to checkin before the onward flight.

If it became a tight connection, they may stand a far better chance of making the flight without the scenic route via checkin.

You would also be able to at least get to your destination, plenty of IB flights MAD-AGP, so they would be with you quickly.

But I don't expect them to get lost.

"However, I have found that when I check in for the European flight, they can be confused about how to handle my checked bag (yes, I have a checked bag but it's being interlined)."

Where is this? Sounds like a problem with that origin airport and the staff not knowing some very basic things.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Bags can be very slow getting to the belt at MAD. I've waited around an hour for that flight. The T1-T4 transfer process is a 15 minute bus ride as well. I would do the interline and have a few days worth of essentials. It's much easier to fix the bag not making the flight than you not making the flight.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Anytime you through check across two airlines, particularly if not in the same alliance, you should go to a transfer desk and ask them to scan your luggage tag so that the second airline system "expects" your bag. This massively reduces the risk of luggage loss.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duluthDL
I'm traveling on one ticket JFK to MAD (DL) and then on another ticket from MAD to AGP (IB or actually Air Nostrum).
As MAD is your entry into Spain will you not have to go through customs & immigration at MAD? They usually want the opportunity to check bags. MAD-AGP will be a domestic flight.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As MAD is your entry into Spain will you not have to go through customs & immigration at MAD? They usually want the opportunity to check bags. MAD-AGP will be a domestic flight.
Within Europe you declare customs at your final destination. OP will have to go through immigration at MAD, though but I don't believe there's an airside T1-T4 transfer anyway.

Edit: Apparently there is an airside connection between the non-Schengen parts of the airport.

Last edited by LupineChemist; Aug 25, 2015 at 2:29 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A

"However, I have found that when I check in for the European flight, they can be confused about how to handle my checked bag (yes, I have a checked bag but it's being interlined)."

Where is this? Sounds like a problem with that origin airport and the staff not knowing some very basic things.
I was flying US to FRA to LEJ. I was checking in at the kiosk at FRA and one of the questions was: are you checking a bag? I and a roaming staff member were not sure how to answer. If yes, the machine wants to print a luggage tag. If no, the airline doesn't know to expect a bag. Hence I had to go to the counter for help.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Within Europe you declare customs at your final destination. OP will have to go through immigration at MAD, though but I don't believe there's an airside T1-T4 transfer anyway.

Edit: Apparently there is an airside connection between the non-Schengen parts of the airport.
Yes, in all my previous experience of flying into Europe and then onward to another Schengen airport, customs is at the final airport.
I see now that there is apparently an airside bus between T1 and T4S. I'll try to look for that. I don't know if immigration would take place in T1 or T4S.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by duluthDL
Yes, in all my previous experience of flying into Europe and then onward to another Schengen airport, customs is at the final airport.
I see now that there is apparently an airside bus between T1 and T4S. I'll try to look for that. I don't know if immigration would take place in T1 or T4S.
I don't think you would be able to use that bus, and I would recommend the normal green bus to T4 as you will have to enter Schengen and pass through security in T4 no matter what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.