Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB NewB Question- Award Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
IB NewB Question- Award Booking

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to Iberia. When I go to the website to book award tickets using Avios, why does it not allow me to select SFO (San Francisco) in the OneWorld Award Booking tab?

Secondly - does IB require that Oneworld award bookings be roundtrip? The website doesn't seem to allow one-ways...

Struggling with the IB website...:-(

Thanks for any help / pointers you can provide...

-G
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
IB avios are great for flights on IB metal or a few other partners. Any other oneworld redemption should just have the avios transferred to BA and done from BA avios.

If going to SFO, AA protects oneworld connections, so it shouldn't matter that it's two bookings.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
IB avios are great for flights on IB metal or a few other partners. Any other oneworld redemption should just have the avios transferred to BA and done from BA avios.

If going to SFO, AA protects oneworld connections, so it shouldn't matter that it's two bookings.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand you. Perhaps I should've provided more info earlier.

I'd like to book SFO-->LAX-->MAD as one Oneworld ticket. Not as two separate tickets. SFO to LAX on AA; LAX to MAD as IB.

On some other days, I can put in SJC to MAD and the system(IB website) gives me SJC-->ORD-->MAD as an AA/IB combination.

For whatever reason though, the IB website won't let me put SFO in as the starting point.

What am I missing?

-G
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:45 am

The IB website is terrible for anything but IB flights. You should do it as two separate tickets with the AA portion from BA avios. IB won't let you do a one way flight with a oneworld partner.

Also AA has a policy to give you protection for your onward flight if it's from a oneworld airline, even if it's a separate ticket so there is no reason why you need to keep it as one ticket.

Just make sure you're there a bit early for the outbound, but the oneworld search on IB's website and their terms are absolutely terrible.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Agree with what's been said.

The award booking tool is adequate for IB operated flights but when it comes to partner awards it's severely lacking. The rules and rates for partner awards rarely make them worth pursuing anyway.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hi,

I have read in FT the possibility of transferring Avios from an IB Plus account to a BA Executive Club account and vice versa.

Currently I have an IB Plus account. Do I have to open a BA EC account with the same details and the system will recognize that belongs to the me?

This can be done unlimited times per year? Are there some costs involved?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by more4less
Currently I have an IB Plus account. Do I have to open a BA EC account with the same details and the system will recognize that belongs to the me?
It depends... If you are Spanish (two surnames) it's not going to work, the system returns a name mismatch (you can still transfer the points, but only through the phone).

This can be done unlimited times per year? Are there some costs involved?
It is free and instantaneous. You need to have some previous activity in the account, though (a points transfer from a credit card or hotel program is enough) and I believe the accounts have to be three months old.

Last edited by Yllanes; Jan 25, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by gya007
For whatever reason though, the IB website won't let me put SFO in as the starting point.
You can do it. You have to select "Fly with Oneworld" instead of "Fly with Iberia". If you start typing "San Francisco" or type "SFO" it should appear. The cheapest option, I believe, is something like 82500 avios + 300 € for a return ticket. However, this is economy and without changes or refunds. Even if you pay for business the ticket will be heavily restricted if it contains flights with non-IB metal (and it has to, since there is no direct MAD-SFO service).

As others have said, it is much better to book the transatlantic part of the trip on Iberia and the domestic ticket with BA.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Yllanes
It depends... If you are Spanish (two surnames) it's not going to work, the system returns a name mismatch (you can still transfer the points, but only through the phone).
Thanks very much Yllanes!

This is exactly what I though as soon as I opened a BA EC account. I will use it for a couple of promos and later I will see how smooth, or not, is the transfer process.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yllanes
You can do it. You have to select "Fly with Oneworld" instead of "Fly with Iberia". If you start typing "San Francisco" or type "SFO" it should appear.
I will take feedback from the others who responded and book SFO to LAX separately using BA. However just to close on this topic: in IE or in Chrome - I'm not able to select SFO. It's just not there in the list. doesn't matter if I type 'San Francisco' or SFO.

Can someone try this and let me know if there's something goofy with my browsers?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by gya007
Can someone try this and let me know if there's something goofy with my browsers?
Its the IB website. Works OK with IB metal. Not so good with partners.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:11 am

It appears fine for me in Chrome for Mac. That said, I am using the Spanish version of the site. The English version can be wonkier sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.