Wiki Posts
Search

Partner Phantom Availability

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Partner Phantom Availability

Let me preface my post by saying I'm aware of the occasional phantom availability when using the QF site to search for awards. When I find a date that has availability on QF, I'll generally search BA to confirm that it actually exists.

However, in searching for availability on a date next summer I found something odd: availability is shown on both QF and BA (and therefore EF, as expected), but not on IB's website. I'm in a position where I'd prefer to use Avios to book this ticket instead of AA miles, and would therefore prefer to book with IB directly instead of BA to reduce the cost of YQ.

Is this a known problem when trying to use IB's site? I may give them a call after work to verify that they do not show any availability on their end, but was wondering if anyone had insight into the problem.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
It may not be phantom but I believe partner rewards are a different bucket so it may be a period with a high demand from Spain but maybe not so much from elsewhere.

Just speculating so don't bank on anything I say.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
IB+ is occasionally buggy. Sometimes it will only show Full Fare awards when there should be "Blue" or "Business Class".

You can also try searching for each leg as one ways, etc. Another good idea is to change your IB+ website location from the US to Spain.

Of course it might just be phantom availability. I seem to recall having seen that before with Business Class on Iberia. Before, a few years ago when BA Gold members could cancel for free, I occasionally would book an award to hold the seat, then cancel and rebook via IB+ when my plans were firm. But occasionally BA would error out as phantom availability...
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

FWIW, I called the IB+ service center, and they also showed no availability. I ticketed on AA.

An example of this that I can still see is ORD-MAD on 5/24.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:36 pm

What did Expertflyer show for the dates you were looking at?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

EF matched the partner sites. As I mentioned in my previous post, try searching ORD-MAD on 5/24/15 on EF/BA/QF, and then try directly on the Iberia site searching Avios availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.