Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVIOS for EK flights?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

AVIOS for EK flights?!

I have an Iberia Plus frequent Flyer card. I booked a ticket Europe-Australia by Qantas and flights have QF codes but all of them are operated by Emirates. On Iberia web side, there is an info that I will get avios for Qantas flights. But how about Emirates flights with QF codes? Will I get some Avios?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:33 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this to the Iberia board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: MUCCI
I'm affriad not.

What you have is a flight marketed (codeshare) by a oneworld partner, but not operated by an Iberia Plus partner.

"As an Iberia Plus cardholder you can earn Elite Points and Avios whenever you travel on a oneworld alliance flight, both have to be operated and marketed by one of our 15 oneworld partner airlines"

https://www.iberia.com/web/webPartne...&idPartner=711

And if you expand the earning table: "- Codeshare flights booked under the code of an Iberia partner airline but operated by an airline who is not an Iberia partner are not eligible for Avios and Elite Points."

British Airways adopts a special policy with these flights. Because they are not operated by a BA partner and do not have a BA code, it should be no Avios and no Tier Points (status). However there is an exemption for these Qantas flights that gives Avios but not Tier Points - see the footer at the bottom of the table on this page: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights
I don't know if Iberia Plus has a similar exemption. Iberia might well NOT have this exemption and not credit avios. So you could credit to BAEC.

So credit them to a scheme that will accept a QF coded Emirates operated flight. That will certainly include Qantas programme and also Emirates programme. It might well include other airlines who have them both as partners, but you would need to check.
If you don't plan to have long term ties to the scheme, look for one that offers a low value redemption option that you can make use of.

Last edited by David-A; Aug 12, 2014 at 2:38 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Alaska Airlines partners with both QF and EK, so you might want to look there.

It's a great programme because you also have BA, AF, AA, DL, etc. as partners, plus the chance to buy miles at a decent price to top up to a redemption...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:39 pm

I forgot about BA's Qantas special exemption. Have edited my post above.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info. I think I will credit the point for BAEC because I found an info that there i a possibility to move points between Iberia's and BA's programmes without loosing them.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jbrawo
Thank you for all the info. I think I will credit the point for BAEC because I found an info that there i a possibility to move points between Iberia's and BA's programmes without loosing them.
Yes. You can move the Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.