Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Frustrating! Where is the detailed airline earning table?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It has been very frustrating to try to figure if one particular sub-class would earn Iberia Plus points or not when flying oneworld airlines.

I have a ticket coming up with Malaysia Airlines. Booked in the lowest O class, I would not get any miles with AA, BA or CX.

So I wonder if I can get any thing at all with Iberia. But, there is not a detailed earning table on Iberia.com

Could I make an assumption that all revenue ticket would earn Iberia Points at 30% rate in discounted economy class?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The earnings table for Malaysia Airlines can be found here;

http://www.iberia.com/web/webPartner...6&idSector=641

It looks like for a discount economy ticket you would get 0.30 avios per mile plus the elite points in the elite points table.

It is not 100% clear though.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Last time I was in Malaysia (can't remember the exact fare code), I knew I wouldn't get credit in AA or BA for my flight and I tried Iberia Plus. Nothing ever posted...

Since you know you'll get zero with everybody else, it can't hurt to try Iberia Plus but don't hold your breath...
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The earnings table for Malaysia Airlines can be found here;

http://www.iberia.com/web/webPartner...6&idSector=641

It looks like for a discount economy ticket you would get 0.30 avios per mile plus the elite points in the elite points table.

It is not 100% clear though.

Regards

TBS
Yes I saw this one. But this earning table is not a detailed earning table. Here you have to make the same assumption as me.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Thanks for starting this thread! I have an upcoming trip on MH in O and Q classes, which earn nothing in BA. It never even occurred to me to consider earning in Iberia - at least there is a chance that they might earn!

My trip isn't for another 6 weeks, but I will report back! Good luck!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Thanks for starting this thread! I have an upcoming trip on MH in O and Q classes, which earn nothing in BA. It never even occurred to me to consider earning in Iberia - at least there is a chance that they might earn!

Yes please do report back! Your trip is very much ahead of mine.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:07 pm

Why don't you just ask them?

If it turns out Iberia awards no miles then open an account with Malaysian. You may not earn enough to get anything decent but surely it's better than just losing them all?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
Yes I saw this one. But this earning table is not a detailed earning table. Here you have to make the same assumption as me.

For IB Plus, the same fare buckets as BAEC and AAdvantage.
FA - JCDZ - YBH - KMLVS

The only difference is the earning percentage of KM and LVS across programmes.

Last edited by Travellair; Jul 14, 2014 at 3:03 am
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
You may not earn enough to get anything decent but surely it's better than just losing them all?
That might be worthwhile if future MH flights in similar fare classes are planned. But if you end up with a few hundred/thousand miles with which you can do nothing, and if you are not prepared to switch your "main" oneworld account over to MH (i.e. you are still chasing status in your existing BAEC account) then it may not be worthwhile.

I don't know if MH miles expire after a period of inactivity...

I have some orphaned Asiana miles after a single trip with OZ over 10 years ago. They still email me frequently reminding me of my balance!!!

Originally Posted by Travellair
For IB Plus, the same fare buckets as BAEC and AAdvantage.
FA - JCDZ - YBH - KMLVS

The only difference is the earning percentage of KM and LVS across programmes.
I kind of expected that.

Another difference, though, is in the earning rates for hotel stays (Iberia is often more generous than BA), and for flights on Vueling.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:02 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
That might be worthwhile if future MH flights in similar fare classes are planned. But if you end up with a few hundred/thousand miles with which you can do nothing, and if you are not prepared to switch your "main" oneworld account over to MH (i.e. you are still chasing status in your existing BAEC account) then it may not be worthwhile.

I don't know if MH miles expire after a period of inactivity...

I have some orphaned Asiana miles after a single trip with OZ over 10 years ago. They still email me frequently reminding me of my balance!!!

I kind of expected that.

Another difference, though, is in the earning rates for hotel stays (Iberia is often more generous than BA), and for flights on Vueling.
Scenario 1:
If your "main" OW-carrier gives you absolutely nothing for the fare classes you have booked I would opt to open a new account with another carrier that does offer some miles. FF accounts are free so you have nothing to loose. If your miles expire, at least you have tried...

Just don't start doing crazy stuff to keep those miles alive if they would go and expire and it hasn't cost you a dime.

Scenario 2:
If your "main" OW-carrier gives you less miles than the operating carrier gives you. (ex. fare-class offers 50% miles on "main" carrier and 100% on operating carrier) It's still better to post the miles to your main carrier except if you have lot's of travel coming up on that operating carrier. And even then I would have a good look at their program to see if it's attractive enough (eg. redemption levels, expiration, ...)
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:01 am

MH flights credited to IB

here is what I found today on the IB Website:

Earning Avios on direct flights operated with AB, AY, CX, JL, JJ, LA, MH, QF, QR, RJ, S7 and US code and operated by a company of oneworld is related to these criteria:

- Real distance flown based on miles and flight class (cabin bonus).

Wouldn't that mean that all fare classes in Y earn 100%, even O?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
oneworld
Earning Avios and Elite Points

For each flight flown with airberlin, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, JAL, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airways, Qantas, Royal Jordanian, S7, TAM Líneas Aéreas, US Airways and Sri Lankan you will be able to obtain:

- Avios, currency that you accumulate in your Iberia Plus balance which allows you to redeem for flights and other opportunities offered by Iberia Plus programme.

Earning Avios and Elite Points

For each flight flown with airberlin, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, JAL, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airways, Qantas, Royal Jordanian, S7, TAM Líneas Aéreas, US Airways and Sri Lankan you will be able to obtain:

- Avios, currency that you accumulate in your Iberia Plus balance which allows you to redeem for flights and other opportunities offered by Iberia Plus programme.

CABIN BONUS Avios
1 mile flown in Discount Economy 0,25*/ 0,30/ 0,50** Avios
1 mile flown in Full Economy 1 Avios
1 mile flown in Business 1,25 Avios
1 mile flown in First 1,50 Avios

*Qatar Airways flights issued in Q or O class.
**airberlin flights issued in H, K or M class.
Qatar Airways flights issued in H, K, M, G, L, V, S, N or T class.
US Airways flights issued in B, E, U, S, H, M and K class.
TAM flights issued in B, E, U, S, H, M and K class. For Sri Lankan flights issued in V, S and N class.

Earning Avios on direct flights operated with AB, AY, CX, JL, JJ, LA, MH, QF, QR, RJ, S7 and US code and operated by a company of oneworld is related to these criteria:

- Real distance flown based on miles and flight class (cabin bonus).

So no, they don't all earn 100%, far from it. That said, I believe this table is more detailed than before as it includes US, QR, AB, and JJ fare codes for discount economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.