Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia invites customers to bid for upgrades to Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia invites customers to bid for upgrades to Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Crunch the Numbers

Purchased lowest price economy ticket today MAD - BOS - MAD for travel May 3rd and return 8th. Lowest price Business Class ticket was just over or just under €3000, depending on routing (about €3200 on the MAD-BOS nonstop).

I paid €584 for my cheepo ticket, and got the offer to bid for the upgrade. Lowest price (one way) showing six green gavels (good chance of getting the upgrade) was €555.

Not bad savings.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, MP, UA, Hawaiian
When is the good time to bid? Closer to travel date?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Purchased lowest price economy ticket today MAD - BOS - MAD for travel May 3rd and return 8th. Lowest price Business Class ticket was just over or just under €3000, depending on routing (about €3200 on the MAD-BOS nonstop).

I paid €584 for my cheepo ticket, and got the offer to bid for the upgrade. Lowest price (one way) showing six green gavels (good chance of getting the upgrade) was €555.

Not bad savings.
555 euros one way, I assume?
Old May 10, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by heramato
555 euros one way, I assume?
Yes. Alas.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honors Gold.
I'm booked on Iberia LOS-MAD-GRU return but the option to bid for upgrade is only available on the LOS-MAD return legs. I can stay in Economy for those flights but the real bummer is the 10 hour flights from MAD-GRU return where the option to bid is unavailable. Is there a reason for this?
Old May 14, 2014, 10:45 am

I'm booked on Iberia LOS-MAD-GRU return but the option to bid for upgrade is only available on the LOS-MAD return legs. I can stay in Economy for those flights but the real bummer is the 10 hour flights from MAD-GRU return where the option to bid is unavailable. Is there a reason for this?

Yes, I suspect they are close to capacity with paid tickets on that leg. When I checked in at Logan for my BOS-MAD flight on May 8th and asked about purchasing an upgrade, I was told they had only three seats open in Business, and this was at 14:30 for a 17:30 flight!
Old May 14, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honors Gold.
Originally Posted by spainflyer

Yes, I suspect they are close to capacity with paid tickets on that leg. When I checked in at Logan for my BOS-MAD flight on May 8th and asked about purchasing an upgrade, I was told they had only three seats open in Business, and this was at 14:30 for a 17:30 flight!
For $360 per flight it appears that I can guarantee a business class seat on LOS-MAD which at $720 in total is still cheaper than what I would have paid on the LOS-MAD return if I originally booked in business. The only question I have is whether you get additional avios and tier points since it is a 'paid' upgrade.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by ahonohai
For $360 per flight it appears that I can guarantee a business class seat on LOS-MAD
Is this a guarantee or the auction system described in #9, above?
Old May 16, 2014, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by ahonohai
For $360 per flight it appears that I can guarantee a business class seat on LOS-MAD which at $720 in total is still cheaper than what I would have paid on the LOS-MAD return if I originally booked in business. The only question I have is whether you get additional avios and tier points since it is a 'paid' upgrade.
Nope, you don't get extra Avios when using a paid upgrade unlike BA.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does it have to offer you the bid, I got the chance to flat out pay 471$ for an upgrade. Can I use Avios points at the ticket counter for JFK to Madrid? I would rather do that than pay.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:34 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
If you are Iberia Platino you can, if holding Y,B,H fare, otherwise no.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does it have to offer you the bid, I got the chance to flat out pay 471$ for an upgrade. Can I use Avios points at the ticket counter for JFK to Madrid? I would rather do that than pay.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:15 am

What is a good bid for MAD-FRA...short flight but prefer J if the chance arises...

thanks
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by llbean
What is a good bid for MAD-FRA...short flight but prefer J if the chance arises...
If it is worth the minimum bid to you, that might actually be sufficient.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:20 pm

I def would for the minimum bid...might even pay a bit more...
Just wondering what a competititve bid might be
I have never flown Iberia to date.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:30 am

How many days before departure does that offer show up?
I'm booked on MAD-SCL-MAD and would like to pay for an upgrade instead of just getting infinetissimally more leg room in Economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.