ORD-MAD flight nearly empty?

Subscribe
I just viewed the seat availability map for our ORD-MAD IB flight on Mar 21. It appears nearly 90% empty. Can this be right? We are currently in row 12 at window on this A340-600. I am thinking that we would be more comfortable in the center 4 seats near back. Should I call IB and change? Have ORD gate agent reseat us? Should we just go back there when we board? I know the word is out that IB isn't so great, but I find it hard to believe that the flight is really so empty. This will be our first ever IB flight.
Strange. They're not striking on 21/22 MAR, so this flight has a good chance of going out (and filling up from the strike on the 19th). Call and reseat ASAP.
Since the questions revolve around one specific airline, we'll move this to the Iberia forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Don't use the seat map as a reference because it might be misleading. I had a talk with an IB rep recently and she informed me that since IB instituted a charge to pre-reserve seats in Y until 24 hrs before dept (except for top elite members with Emerald and Sapphire status), a lot of passengers wait until the day before to get their seats in order to avoid the charges.
Thanks aw. That makes sense
Exactamente. A seat map only shows assigned seats - you could have a tour group, any number of people, with tickets for that flight with as yet unassigned seats. A GDS connected tool will reveal the actual situation - how many seats (often up to a maximum of seven) are available in each fare class.

Change for your four in the back seats and you might find yourselves crowded; if the flight departs with lots of available seats you can generally move once the hatch is ready to close / closed.