Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

CC for Award booking & Penalty in CASH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

CC was asked for booking a GoH reservation. It was suggested as Hyatt general policy for (any type) point booking. In case of cancellation within cancellation period or no show, point would be returned, but CC was charged for CASH rack rate. I found this was weird, cumbersome, and sort of unjust, and totally not in line with past experience. What happened if I missed checkin at PH Syndey because flight was delayed or cancelled, are they gonna return 30K points, and charge rack rate of the day around $1,000 in summer, which was not PREdetermined

Last edited by benitovacation; Mar 30, 2017 at 10:16 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
You already got your answer. If you want an official reply why aren't you DMing a message to them instead of posting a random thread.

This isn't property specific. This has been the policy for a couple years.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It unfortunately isn't just Hyatt's policy.

And yes, it seems utterly unfair as it exposes you to the risk of a presumably unspecified/unknown charge.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:40 pm

SPG has the same, but you can contact CS afterwards and request the cancellation charges to be taken in points instead of cash.

As far as I know, this is not possible at Hyatt.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Thank you all.

Good to know than missing a point stay and having a "uh-oh moment"
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens if you miss a cash and points reservation? Do they return the points and charge the rack rate for the first night?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

OP, there are quite a few people marveling about the legality of this practice. "You're booking a free stay, but if you don't show up we'll charge you an undisclosed rate that's likely to be higher than what you'd book if you'd made a revenue reservation today." Here are some existing threads:

Hyatt 1
Hyatt 2
Other chains do this, too, e.g., Marriott. IMO, SPG does the best job at disclosing it -- when you reserve, a specific dollar amount is given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.