Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalists - Pay for upgrades in advance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:10 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

I'm interested to understand, how other Globalist deal with the "request upgrades against a fee" - e-mails.

Got a stay coming up at the Pier 66 location. I booked the cheapest rate (Marina or Pool area - not the tower). Received an e-mail that I can upgrade to a Tower Room for 25$, which is still cheaper than booking a Tower Room directly

So I am interested to understand what other Globalist do with these offers... Do you ignore them, do you request the upgrades? I anyway should receive an upgrade to the Tower Rooms (if available at check-in obviously)... at the moment, availability for all room types including suites are available... so actually there is no need to book the upgrade.

thoughts?

Last edited by 59Impala; Mar 26, 2017 at 12:11 pm Reason: typos
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's all about whether you want to move to the front of the queue or take your chances (I'm assuming the paid upgrades have priority). Remember that you're not the only person receiving this email, so if others think it's a good deal, all that inventory cound vanish in a puff of greasy black smoke.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Are these the upgrades you agree to pay for if they're available at check-in or something confirmed in advance?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:28 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by cmglobal
Are these the upgrades you agree to pay for if they're available at check-in or something confirmed in advance?
no, these are not those requests "if available at check-in".
My understanding is I will be upgraded immediately when paying now in advance.

it's the first time I have seen this type of upgrade. It was visible in the mobile app as well, but not on the website.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Then it's even more a case of a bird in the hand.

it's the first time I have seen this type of upgrade.
I see them all the time with Fairmont, and sometimes with SPG.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
no, these are not those requests "if available at check-in".

it's the first time I have seen this type of upgrade. It was visible in the mobile app as well, but not on the website.
Are they the NOR1 upgrades? If so, not a new thing.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2011/10/09/h...-hyatt-hotels/

Don't recall if I have ever seen them at Hyatt, but I usually get them at Hilton and promptly ignore them.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I see them all the time with Fairmont, and sometimes with SPG.
Very common at Hilton too.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I'm interested to understand, how other Globalist deal with the "request upgrades against a fee" - e-mails.

Got a stay coming up at the Pier 66 location. I booked the cheapest rate (Marina or Pool area - not the tower). Received an e-mail that I can upgrade to a Tower Room for 25$, which is still cheaper than booking a Tower Room directly

So I am interested to understand what other Globalist do with these offers... Do you ignore them, do you request the upgrades? I anyway should receive an upgrade to the Tower Rooms (if available at check-in obviously)... at the moment, availability for all room types including suites are available... so actually there is no need to book the upgrade.

thoughts?
These are common with SPG and Hilton, and heretofore have been rare with Hyatt. However, in the case where a property wouldn't let me use a DSU recently, I took the cash upgrade offer to a suite because it was a good deal.

YMMV
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
It's the World of Hope. Hope you luck into an upgrade. Hope they accept a TSU. The key to Hyatt happiness now is to drop your expectations lower than a plumber's pants.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:53 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JackE
It's the World of Hope.
Comment of the year.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
NOR1 upgrades are shown in the booking page, e-mails from the hotel are their very own revenue management measures.

I was 'invited' once at PH Sydney to secure a higher room by paying the difference as they were expecting full occupancy and wanted to avoid disappointment.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Don't recall if I have ever seen them at Hyatt, but I usually get them at Hilton and promptly ignore them.
I typically ignore them with Hilton as well.

Though I will just book the room I want if (a) the price is right, and/or (b) I'm concerned they will book full.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:44 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster

So I did not pay for the upgrade in the end and took my chances. We are also here for just a night.

Upon checkin auto upgraded to the best room. Tower Junior Suite. Room rate 90$ above my corp rate for "limited view Marina room", which would not have been in the tower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.