Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

My View Hyatt Plat V SPG Gold V Hhonors Diamond...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

So I am a Hyatt Diamond and I have to say I love it, I am a HH Diamond as well but Hyatt definitely outshines Hilton in all aspects...

I have some international travel coming up and the areas I am travelling to don't have a great Hyatt presence so I was forced to stay in SPG properties. Since I had so much SPG travel coming up I figured I would sign up for the Platinum Trial and confirmed with SPG in writing that I would have Platinum status for all of 2016 and all of 2017 if I completed my trial in Jan of 2016 (which I plan on doing). All of this occurred literally one day before the announcement of the merger....

So I have started my challenge (am currently SPG Gold) and have to rack up 18 nights by Jan. So far I think that SPG gold trumps Hyatt plat, probably even HHonors Diamond.

-Here's why, at every property I was given 4pm late checkout or even later with zero hassle.
-Since I have the Amex Open card I get access to the lounge at all Sheraton properties, something that Hyatt Plat doesn't get even with their cobrand card and something Hilton Diamond gets

Now to be fair I have found that Hyatt Regency/Hyatt/Grand Hyatt have all been better than the Wesin's/Sheraton's that I have stayed at in terms on the hard product.

Will have to see how much "better" or worse (with Marriott devaluation) gets my treatment gets with Platinum but I have to say I am nicely surprised with how well I have been treated as a lowly SPG Gold. I can't say i would have been treated that well as a Hyatt Plat or a HHonors Diamond.

Your thoughts?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
You have to be careful comparing domestic vs international, but I agree that Hyatt Plat isn't much of an improvement over a basic HGP member. And both HH Gold (and obviously Diamond) and SPG Plat beat Hyatt Plat hands down.

Where I find the SPG program weak compared to Hyatt are brand standardization and breakfast/lounge offerings.

Brand standardization- there are some Sheratons that shouldn't even be Four Points. There are other Sheratons that are extremely nice. I've also noticed some worn out Westins. Those two brands are my personal sweet spot with the occasional stay at Four Points/Aloft. I hate Aloft (feels like a college dorm room) but the hotels are so new/newly renovated that there's no brand standard problems with them yet (same goes for Element).

Breakfast/lounge offerings - domestically, most of the food served is pretty bad. Domestic Hyatt lounges/Diamond breakfasts put domestic SPGs to shame.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The comparison should be between Hyatt Daimond and SPG PlatMinus or Plat50. Hyatt Plat requires far fewer stays/nights than the same metal in Starwood. It's like comparing AA Gold (the lowest elite level at 25,000 status mile sper year) to UA Gold or DL Gold, both of which are the second elite tier and require 50,000 status miles per year (and also each have a spend requirement that AA has yet to implement).
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The comparison should be between Hyatt Daimond and SPG PlatMinus or Plat50. Hyatt Plat requires far fewer stays/nights than the same metal in Starwood. It's like comparing AA Gold (the lowest elite level at 25,000 status mile sper year) to UA Gold or DL Gold, both of which are the second elite tier and require 50,000 status miles per year (and also each have a spend requirement that AA has yet to implement).
The reason I compare Hyatt Plat to SPG Gold is that both can be achieved with a credit card (can be achieved with two different Amex cards).
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
There is very little difference between SPG Gold and Hyatt Plat. As far as lounge access with certain AmEx cards, there's been reports of a high rate of denial of that obscure benefit.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
There is very little difference between SPG Gold and Hyatt Plat. As far as lounge access with certain AmEx cards, there's been reports of a high rate of denial of that obscure benefit.
Disagree on this per my original post, I get lounge access (with the card) and late check out 4pm on all my stays (last three days). I am Hyatt diamond now but as a Hyatt plat i maybe got a 1pm late checkout and never lounge access.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
4Pm late check out guaranteed as SPG gold. This is useful for me.

Having the OPEN SPG Amex card does guarantee lounge benefits, but this is not a SPG Gold benefit.

To me, SPG Gold wins if you need late checkout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.