Search

Status Bump Mid Stay (Benefits?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Status Bump Mid Stay (Benefits?)

Hey All,

Quick question for you guys - hoping somebody has been in a similar situation before.

I am 1 night short of Diamond status and have a 2 week stay for business coming up. Usually I would just book the 14 nights straight, however, I'm pretty eager to utilize the lounge & diamond benefits (e.g. 30% bonus) for the remaining 13 nights.

Does anybody know if diamond status would kick in retroactively if I spent the first night at another Hyatt in the area but the stay has NOT posted before I check into the next hotel? Or would I need to do a few hotel hops, waiting for the last night before diamond to post, in order to get the status benefits?

There are a few Hyatt's in the area so I wouldn't mind hopping around but would like to limit the inconvenience of packing every night if possible.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:25 pm

I'd book the one night at the "other" hyatt... and then just keep pushing HGP to make sure your stay posts. They usually post quite quickly.. especially if you'd like to get the perks during your long stay.
Good luck
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:27 pm

I just reread your post... and now I'm confused....
are you only ONE night short... after your long stay
or are you one STAY short/one night...
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
I just reread your post... and now I'm confused....
are you only ONE night short... after your long stay
or are you one STAY short/one night...
I'm one night short right now, prior to my long stay
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
I'd book the one night at the "other" hyatt... and then just keep pushing HGP to make sure your stay posts. They usually post quite quickly.. especially if you'd like to get the perks during your long stay.
Good luck
Also, once you hit Diamond and it is reflected on Hyatt.com, you should be able to print out an ID card reflecting your new status, which you can present to the front desk.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most hotels consider your status during your entire stay to be the same as the status they see at check in. OP needs to do a one night stay a few days before checking in for the long reservation.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:56 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I clearly remember when I first made it to Diamond, years ago. I eagerly looked forward to receiving my Diamond benefits at the very next stay. Alas, it takes a few days for the system to catch up with reality. You can expect it to take two or three days, AFTER you actually qualify, until you receive your Diamond benefits.

For example, let's say that Tuesday is your final qualifying night. It will post on Thursday or Friday at the earliest. You will have one or more nights where you're actually Diamond but the system doesn't recognize you as such.

You might "try" bringing a printout from hyatt.com to the front desk. Show them that tonight's stay qualifies you for Diamond. Therefore you want to stay tonight as a Platinum then check back in tomorrow as a Diamond.

Let's suppose that you're in night 4 of a 14-night stay. When you checked in, you were Platinum but today it shows Diamond. I'm sure the hotel will grant lounge access from the very minute that the system shows you as a Diamond.

The point bonuses can be awarded retroactively: just contact Gold Passport.

Welcome to Diamond status!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:56 am

I'm not sure of what extra hard benefits (waters, robes, upgrade levels, lounge access, comp food, etc.) come with the Diamond status.

If you want to try and split bookings into 3-4 nights and a longer stay, it's up to you. What I would recommend is if you can print proof that you're 1 night short at the beginning of your stay. Show this to the desk clerk (or ask for a manager) and ask if you could be extended any hard benefits for your entire stay. If it were me, I would.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just splitting the booking into two reservations won't help because of the time it takes nights/stays to post and the time for the HGP system then to recognize the new status.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 6, 2015 at 5:20 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:46 am

If OP did 1+3+10 and did the check-out-and-in routine at each break, it should be possible to get the Diamond benefits for the 10 nights.

I'd say definitely worth the hassle if it's a decent international Hyatt - probably not so much for a beat-up Hyatt Place
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Do you have a local Cat 1 hotel by you.....maybe do a 1 night C + P stay... then by the time you leave for your 2 week trip it will have converted.....
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by elg26
Do you have a local Cat 1 hotel by you.....maybe do a 1 night C + P stay... then by the time you leave for your 2 week trip it will have converted.....
Amen. If it is important to you do this and avoid the issue.

Your account will update in a 2-3 days. Call GP and ask to have your new status added to the reservation. But as backup take a printout and ask for it if hotel does not offer you Diamond benefits at arrival. Paper can still be your friend.

The best feature of the hotel club is it is a different set of walls usually with a friendly person running it (and they have free cookies).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:23 am
Original Poster

So I spoke with the FD manager at the hotel I'm planning to stay at for the 14 days and they said they would grant me diamond benefits for the entire stay since I'll be earning status.

They mentioned that they'd split it into two stays so that I can retroactively reach out to HGP to get the bonus points and they'd grant me the welcome amenity as well.

Overall, seems like it worked out exactly as I hoped, without the inconvenience of hotel hopping.

Thanks for your input everybody!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.