Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How does Hyatt handle being walked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does Hyatt handle being walked?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I spend 8 years working at 2 Hyatts. Although that was 25 years ago, I think it's probably still the same.

For the most part, you're not "selected" for walking. It's first-come, first-served. But it's true that if there were regular guests we were sure were coming, we would walk a "transient" room first. Gold Passport was less of a deal then, but I don't recall that it was a consideration. Only Courtesy Card counted (personal friends of the Pritzkers or of Hyatt executives). If one of those people showed up with no reservation, you were supposed to boot somebody out of a room for them. In reality, all the Courtesy Card holders I ever encountered were super-nice people who wouldn't dream of throwing their weight around (and always made reservations).

Anyhow, when walking we'd send you to a comparable hotel at our expense, bring you back the next day to upgraded accommodations (usually Regency Club, sometimes a suite) and cram your room full of room service. You'd also get an apology letter from the GM or rooms exec in your room. I think being walked is a pretty good deal--I'd love to have it happen to me.

Much worse than walking, in my opinion, is being crammed into a parlor. We used to have awful fold-out sofas in those that people hated. Sometimes they have Murphy beds. But they're never ideal. They'll often lower the rate, but you won't get it free. I was the master of persuading people to take a parlor voluntarily.

Walking could get out of control at some properties. A former co-worker became front office manager at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, and walked over 200 people in one night. I expect a reservations manager lost a job over that.

I do remember a co-worker once telling me that one night she was walking and the whole city was sold out. She ended up sending people to a cheap roach motel that was something like 20 miles away. When she called them to arrange for the walk and told them how much the Hyatt would pay, the motel manager laughed hysterically.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Walking could get out of control at some properties. A former co-worker became front office manager at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, and walked over 200 people in one night. I expect a reservations manager lost a job over that.
What caused that? I know there were some conventions that historically had about 2-3% no-shows, when hotels expected conventions to have more like 20-30%. Generally, we tried to warn them. Sometimes they believed us.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
I agree, but at the same time it is no different than Marriott. The limited service properties, in most cases, are slow to recognize my Plat status. But at the same time, what can they reasonably offer me? They already offer free breakfast, upgrades in a CY, especially to a suite can be nice, but otherwise the rooms are all the same.
I've been offered free drink certs in the NYC area.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I do remember a co-worker once telling me that one night she was walking and the whole city was sold out. She ended up sending people to a cheap roach motel that was something like 20 miles away. When she called them to arrange for the walk and told them how much the Hyatt would pay, the motel manager laughed hysterically.
This is going to turn out real well!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
The hard part was choosing the latest related thread since it looks like it has been a while since someone posted about this. As a Globalist/Diamond for the last 8 years, I had my first walk tonight from the HR Rochester. I arrived at 9 PM and found the valet entrance under construction. The valet went in to get a parking slip and came back out with a front desk manager. She handed me a piece of paper and informed me I was being walked. I had a 5 night stay and she implied I should just pack up and come back tomorrow from the other hotel. For those of us that travel for long business trips, packing up is not an easy matter and is an inconvenience.

There was no mention to specifics for points being offered or any other specifics on compensation, just generalities. It seems like they were somewhat surprised they were walking a Diamond yet had my paperwork ready to go. I am most disappointed that they didn't just contact me as they were aware I was coming due to the paperwork being filled out and ready to go when I arrived. We were tired when we arrived and not being surprised and having to relocate would have been nice to know in advance.

They are supposed to call me tomorrow to work out the details so I will follow up when that happens.

P.S. - does anyone know what the policy for walking Globalists is for WoH or is it vague as it was under HGP?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There is no policy as far as I know....
Old May 21, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Ronbo, any update on your compensation? I got a call more or less asking if the Hyatt Dulles could walk me, at first I said no, but the agent relented and said she'd try to find a room, because I wasn't coming in until 5 a.m. Then I called back, agreed to a walk for points compensation but agent said manager who won't be in until 7 has final say on the points. Will update with details after full resolution. Alternate hotel is 25 miles away of extra driving at 5 a.m. after a long night, agent knew that, and agent said she was fairly certain the compensation would be no problem... we shall see...
Old May 21, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What is 'being walked?'
It's when the hotel sells what belongs to you to someone else because it might get paid twice for the same thing.

When this happens in certain other similar contexts, it's a criminal act.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Ronbo, any update on your compensation? I got a call more or less asking if the Hyatt Dulles could walk me, at first I said no, but the agent relented and said she'd try to find a room, because I wasn't coming in until 5 a.m. Then I called back, agreed to a walk for points compensation but agent said manager who won't be in until 7 has final say on the points. Will update with details after full resolution. Alternate hotel is 25 miles away of extra driving at 5 a.m. after a long night, agent knew that, and agent said she was fairly certain the compensation would be no problem... we shall see...
The resolution is still ongoing but I have received most of what was promised which consisted of a significant amount of points (PM me for details if you are interested) and my entire stay being comped at the hotel they sent me to for the week. They did want me to come back after the first night but after unpacking all of our stuff at the other hotel, I asked and they agreed to keep us there for the rest of the booking for free. I was charged for the stay at the other hotel 3 weeks later but after a week the GM confirmed they will reverse the charges (still waiting). I am also still waiting on getting credit for the stay which they said they would give me for the 5 nights I booked. The hotel did the right thing at the end of the day but the resolution is dragging on now for the 4th week which seems unnecessary.

I did get WoH involved via my PL rep and they confirmed there is no policy for this occasion. I would think adding one would be smart, especially since everyone I have spoken to from Hyatt on this matter says it is practically impossible and that it should never occur.

I believe I received a fair amount of compensation and the matter will be closed for me soon once those outstanding items are taken care of. My fear is that other hotels may not take this very seriously and offer minimal compensation for this type of event. I was lucky that the HR Rochester took it seriously and tried to make it right. I will return to this property based on their response and how they handled the situation.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You were lucky, but I agree that part of the hassle of a walk is being required to move after the first night, typically without late checkout privileges so that it must often be done at a very inconvenient time such as before an early meeting after the walk has already caused you to lose sleep.

OTOH, if you try to stay at the place to which you were sent, I would fear that the hotel would charge you the rack rate (as well as typically not offering any elite benefits that you had been expecting at the hotel you reserved, such as lounge access or even free internet).
Old May 25, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Alternate hotel is 25 miles away of extra driving at 5 a.m. after a long night,
Should've asked for a different alternate. There are dozens of hotels within 5 miles of Dulles, most of them quite decent.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aradisc
Should've asked for a different alternate. There are dozens of hotels within 5 miles of Dulles, most of them quite decent.
Oh, sure, but lots of them are ratty, and I did have to be in DC the next morning anyhow, so not a huge deal; having them send me to a property of their choice + points compensation wasn't a bad deal in my opinion at the time.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on the points to post... will give it another week (it has been 6 days).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.