Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Life time diamond questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Talking Life time diamond questions

So i have been a member for 5 years already, been traveling alot and this year just announced that I will basically live at a Hyatt for the rest of the year. What happens if I hit the 1 million base point before the 10 year mark? Will I be granted that status or they will make me wait till I hit the 10 year mark?

Anyone has experienced this?

I'm very curious.

Side question (if I hit the 1 million mark and they make me wait till I hit 10years, within the period of waiting, what if i change hotel brand? Do you think they will still grant me the lifetime status?)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
What do you mean by changing your hotel brand? If you mean you hit 1M points (and note it's BASE points, not total points) and then stop staying at Hyatt, then you won't accumulate any more years towards the 10. Or do you mean something else?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
I think it's.... you wait the 10 years :/
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
My understanding is that it is 10 years of GP membership (not Diamond status), so the OP would indeed continue to accumulate years towards lifetime Diamond as long as he keeps his account open.

I am about to hit 1M base points after 5 years of GP membership and don't expect to be granted Lifetime Diamond... actually, I am hoping I won't anytime soon as I enjoy my current status a bit better.

Originally Posted by JackE
What do you mean by changing your hotel brand? If you mean you hit 1M points (and note it's BASE points, not total points) and then stop staying at Hyatt, then you won't accumulate any more years towards the 10. Or do you mean something else?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
It is indeed 10 years in GP, at any level including general member.

To the OP, once you achieve 1M base points, I would sugget you contact the Diamond line and or your private line rep and make a request. If you don't have a private line rep, you can request one by calling the Diamond line. It may be wise to start building a long term relationship now such that when it comes time to make your request, you have an ally or at least a named contact on the inside.

One more note. While I have never checked the rules myself, I was told at one point by someone I trust at Hyatt that stays longer than 30 nights do NOT continue to accrue GP points. This was a quiet change made to the program years back. You may want to look into this and ensure your long term stay contract does indeed include base point accumulation. I would suggest getting this in writing.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

For some other things as well it might be a good idea to checkout before you reach the 30day limit....
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Starwood has a 30 day limit for stays earning points, but Hyatt has no such rule. Depending on how long your stay is and where you are staying, your stay may become exempt from hotel taxes.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
I can say that as recent as 2013 no such extended stay rule existed. I had a room at the HR Washington for 3 months straight because the heavily discounted extended stay rate was cheaper than booking Mon-Thurs each week for 3 months. It did feel funny leaving an empty room checked into to go home for the weekend though and come back to the same room
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by VA1379
Starwood has a 30 day limit for stays earning points, but Hyatt has no such rule. Depending on how long your stay is and where you are staying, your stay may become exempt from hotel taxes.
In VA, MD and DC at least you are exempted from the occupancy tax on stays over 30 consecutive days.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Thx yall for the input, so i guess i could either try calling or just wait.

But why not chase for lifetime status, lifetime diamonds gets more suite upgrades.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by coolmaster
lifetime diamonds gets more suite upgrades.
Curious if this is indeed the case. Do you or anyone else have practical experience to support the notion?

And agreed, OP should call and ask. Please report back so we can all learn.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ainternational
Curious if this is indeed the case. Do you or anyone else have practical experience to support the notion?

And agreed, OP should call and ask. Please report back so we can all learn.
yeah, I do travel with my boss and he is lifetime diamond. I would not say 99% but he does get it pretty often. Of course that depends on the availability. From what I heard the priority of upgrading to suites starts from courtesy card>>>Lifetime Diamond>>>Diamond(rarely).

Will take a while till I could get back to yall, still got some time till I hit that 1M base point mark.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by coolmaster
yeah, I do travel with my boss and he is lifetime diamond. I would not say 99% but he does get it pretty often. Of course that depends on the availability. From what I heard the priority of upgrading to suites starts from courtesy card>>>Lifetime Diamond>>>Diamond(rarely).
I suppose that makes general sense. While I am very close to the lifetime milestone at this point, I am not looking forward to the distinct possibility of being downgraded from CC to Lifetime Diamond this year given my declining travel spend. We'll see how the rest of the year shapes up.

As CC, upgrades do happen almost 100% of the time. And not just to basic suites. All depends on the property though. There are notably exceptions which is somewhat frustrating. On the flip side, there are amazing upgrades to massive presidential suites to help balance things out.

The variation from property to property is significant, and not just in room upgrades, but other amenities and benefits provided in some cases which are extensive.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VA1379
Just to set the record straight the comment about 30 day limit for Starwood is incorrect. That changed several years ago. As per Section 2.8 its 90 days.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ainternational
I suppose that makes general sense. While I am very close to the lifetime milestone at this point, I am not looking forward to the distinct possibility of being downgraded from CC to Lifetime Diamond this year given my declining travel spend. We'll see how the rest of the year shapes up.

As CC, upgrades do happen almost 100% of the time. And not just to basic suites. All depends on the property though. There are notably exceptions which is somewhat frustrating. On the flip side, there are amazing upgrades to massive presidential suites to help balance things out.

The variation from property to property is significant, and not just in room upgrades, but other amenities and benefits provided in some cases which are extensive.
Courtesy cards per year based? Hyatt has the ability to take it back anytime right? Havent heard much about courtesy cards besides the premiers and presidential suites upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.