Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Siem Reap - 2013

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Sent an email to the property and got a reply saying it will open in mid July and was offered a special opening rate of $365++. I think this price is a bit of a joke considering I am staying like 2 weeks after opening and given the price of competing properties such as the residence d'angkor.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pogonation
saying it will open in mid July and was offered a special opening rate of $365++. I think this price is a bit of a joke considering I am staying like 2 weeks after opening and given the price of competing properties such as the residence d'angkor.
Are you sure that wasn't the rate for your entire stay?

On a more serious note--I frequently see newly-opened branded hotels charging exorbitant amounts in resort or exotic locations.

Marriott is especially guilty of this--even with their boring CY brand.

Try booking CY Santa Barbara or Kauai--the rate is around $250+ for very bland accommodations in far-from-optimal locations.

Do they actually get those rates?

Certainly not from me.

The good news is these properties often require significantly less points per night than one would expect given the revenue rates...
Old May 2, 2013, 6:39 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I think if they expect to get $400 a night in Cambodia they are sorely mistaken regardless of how nice the hotel is.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I was quoted $325++ per night. Bear in mind, the property will have Virtuoso benefits with the property specific benefit of a complimentary dinner. Prices seem a little high but are in line with Raffles, Sofitel etc.
Old May 3, 2013, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by antonius66
I think if they expect to get $400 a night in Cambodia they are sorely mistaken regardless of how nice the hotel is.

I think it might be you who are mistaken.
http://www.amanresorts.com/amansara/home.aspx
Old May 3, 2013, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by price123
I was quoted $325++ per night. Bear in mind, the property will have Virtuoso benefits with the property specific benefit of a complimentary dinner. Prices seem a little high but are in line with Raffles, Sofitel etc.
Raffles is $220 and sofitel is $120 for my dates so I wouldn't exactly say they are in line. I could understand charging rates like this in a years time, but trying to charge those rates at opening when there are bound to be teething problems is a bit much.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I think it might be you who are mistaken.
http://www.amanresorts.com/amansara/home.aspx
I think Aman resorts are an exception. Even if there was an Aman resort set up in a sewage pit, they could still manage to get customers paying $1000/night

Last edited by pogonation; May 3, 2013 at 4:12 am
Old May 3, 2013, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I don't think they will have problems with the rate. There are a lot of customers who will pay this- my problem in Siem Reap has been to get a room at a good hotel regardless of price.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:21 am

I think Aman resorts are an exception. Even if there was an Aman resort set up in a sewage pit, they could still manage to get customers paying $1000/night
This is a hypothetical question, as Aman would never build in a subpar location. Amanresorts are able to command the rates they do because of their locations and the unparalleled overall experience they offer. In most Aman locations there is also very high demand for other high-end properties at lower price points from brands like Four Seasons, GHM, Park Hyatt, etc..

A nearby example would be Luang Prabang, where in addition to Amantaka there are R&C and Orient Express properties have rates similar to PH Siem Reap.

Hotel de la Paix is a great fit for the Park Hyatt brand.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:34 am

This is a hypothetical question, as Aman would never build in a subpar location. Amanresorts are able to command the rates they do because of their locations and the unparalleled overall experience they offer. In most Aman locations there is also very high demand for other high-end properties at lower price points from brands like Four Seasons, GHM, Park Hyatt, etc..

A nearby example would be Luang Prabang, where in addition to Amantaka there are R&C and Orient Express properties have rates similar to PH Siem Reap.

Hotel de la Paix is a great fit for the Park Hyatt brand.
Agreed, however I think the opening rates they are offering are the rates we can expect constantly so there is nothing "special" about them. Guests are always taking a risk staying in the first weeks after opening.. They are effectively the Guinea-pigs for refining service and F&B offerings so usually there are pretty decent opening rates.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:09 am

Agreed, however I think the opening rates they are offering are the rates we can expect constantly so there is nothing "special" about them. Guests are always taking a risk staying in the first weeks after opening.. They are effectively the Guinea-pigs for refining service and F&B offerings so usually there are pretty decent opening rates.
Of course actual daily rate will fluctuate depending on occupancy.

I agree staying at a new property is risky. Opening rates can be low or very high. I often find that there is room for substantial negotiation when properties open with exorbitant rates.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course actual daily rate will fluctuate depending on occupancy.

I agree staying at a new property is risky. Opening rates can be low or very high. I often find that there is room for substantial negotiation when properties open with exorbitant rates.
I stayed there a few years ago in its former incarnation and this was before Siem Reap became as popular as it is now and the entry level rooms were $330 and suites were around $600 USD and the hotel was sold out- I couldn't even stay the days I wanted to in a row (had to move from one room type to another)- booking 30 days out.

By the way- if all the luxury hotels are sold out in Siem Reap or you don't want to spend that much money- the Hotel Victoria is a very nice 3.5* alternative with a great breakfast- not luxury but then again the price is usually less than $200 all in.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Raffles is $220 and sofitel is $120 for my dates so I wouldn't exactly say they are in line.
Guess it depends on your dates. For me, PH is $325, Raffles is $385 and the Sofitel is cheaper.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:46 am

Well I guess I stand partly corrected. Still seems high to me. I mean, I remember seeing the PH Saigon for $130 a night before.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I guess I stand partly corrected. Still seems high to me. I mean, I remember seeing the PH Saigon for $130 a night before.
Saigon is not even in the same country as Siem Reap.
Old May 3, 2013, 4:59 pm

sigh...i know. never mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.