Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gold Passport Statistics - 9 million+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club

I was wandering around the Hyatt development website and came across this - lots of food for thought:

"The Gold Passport program has grown to over 9 million members as of June 2009. During the first half of 2009, these members represented 23% of total room nights. On average, Gold Passport members spend 16% more than nonmembers per stay. Gold tier members generate average annual revenue of $900 per member. Platinum tier members generate average annual revenue of $6,000 per member. Diamond tier members generate average annual revenue of $16,000 per member."
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Did they mention what the numbers were for each of the 3 membership tiers? I have always wondered.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
There is no way that Hyatt (or any other hotel or airline company) will offer a breakdown of their membership by elite levels in public. That is proprietary information and would give too much info to their competitors.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
lOl, I don't think this diamond has come close to 16K for my lifetime
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I bet a lot of FT Hyatt diamond members living in the United States spend a lot less than $16,000/year with Hyatt. On the other hand, those living in Europe or Asia could easily spend more than that for diamond status if they do not travel in North America at all.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Interesting information. I think business travelers doing at least some international travel may get over 16k, if in the States, you may be able to reach diamond for a lot less.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:29 pm
YYC

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
I'm at a little over 17K as of last week. Had a one month vacation planned before the end of the year without hotel stays, but should easily reach 20K for this year. 100% of my hotel stays are domestic.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:38 pm

Average spending for the levels is interesting, but it's not particularly informative, unless we know how it is distributed. If we knew the median for each level, that would be more helpful.

All Golds stay fewer than 15 nights, which is a pretty small range, so you would think that an average might be informative, but a significant number of Gold members spend zero in a given year, which skews the average downward to $900.

Platinum members spend, theoretically, between 15 and 50 nights, but it's my understanding that quite a few members are given platinum without really earning it, so they probably drag that average down (by spending little or no money in a given year). I would also guess that there are many more platinums in the 15-20 night range than in the 45-50 night range.

Diamond is what we have been talking about, and it is probably the level that is most skewed. Diamond members can stay anywhere between 50 and 365 nights per year, which is a huge range. I would imagine that there are a meaningful number of Diamond members that are in Hyatts for 250+ nights per year and spend something like $100k. That'll skew the average upwards a great deal.

Those are the averages, but I would bet that the typical Gold and Platinum members spend more than the average for their respective level and the typical Diamond spends less. I'm no statistics expert, so if someone sees a flaw in my logic, feel free to correct.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by YYC
I'm at a little over 17K as of last week.
If you don't mind, how many nights did it take to get to the $17k.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by tvetter01
.... Platinum members spend, theoretically, between 15 and 50 nights ......
Diamond members can stay anywhere between 50 and 365 nights per year.....
Don't forget qualification is based on stays or nights. You can become Platinum with 5 1-night stays: so the range for Platinum is actually 5 to 49. Similarly, you can become a Diamond with 25 1-night stays, so the range for that is 25 - 365 nights.

I have been Diamond for the past 5 years based on stays, and never have come close to 50 nights.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by richee
... You can become Platinum with 5 1-night stays [...]. Similarly, you can become a Diamond with 25 1-night stays.
If you add double stay promotions, status matches and comps, figures go down significantly.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by YYC
I'm at a little over 17K as of last week. Had a one month vacation planned before the end of the year without hotel stays, but should easily reach 20K for this year. 100% of my hotel stays are domestic.
my personal guesstimate is about $2500 which would included double stay credits..
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I think they're talking total revenue per member, not just revenue from the rooms.

I doubt I come close to $16k per year, but I would think it's about half that for all charges I make when staying at a hotel.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by richee
Don't forget qualification is based on stays or nights. You can become Platinum with 5 1-night stays: so the range for Platinum is actually 5 to 49. Similarly, you can become a Diamond with 25 1-night stays, so the range for that is 25 - 365 nights.

I have been Diamond for the past 5 years based on stays, and never have come close to 50 nights.
Good point. Completely slipped my mind.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:18 am
YYC

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tvetter01
If you don't mind, how many nights did it take to get to the $17k.
88 nts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.