Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2002, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Planning a golf trip to AZ. Deciding between Hyatt Regency Scottsdale - Gainey Ranch or Sheraton El Conquistador Resort in Tucson. Any opinions?
Old Mar 5, 2002, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
I agree. I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch at least 20 times. Its my favorite Hyatt. You will not be disappointed.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 6:42 pm

My wife has overseen programs at the Hyatt for several years and all her customers love it. The public rooms are wonderful. The halls and guest rooms less so but nice and well maintained. Service flawless.

Due to a change in hotel sales staff, her dates weren't held for next year so I went out last weekend to "preview" "The Boulders" and was overwhelmed. It was fantastic. Nature envelopes you and the staff is as good or better. The rooms are all casitas with beamed wood ceilings and fireplaces with aromatic wood, an amazing smell upon arrival. I could go on. Not a golfer but I hear that it is well known.

No point system though....

Think about it!!!

[This message has been edited by ckinsey (edited 03-05-2002).]
Old Mar 6, 2002, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Fantastic property. Very nice pool and facilities and free bicycle use while staying at resort. Don't miss the excellent margaritas in the main patio and live shows at night.

I have some pics from my stay. I definitely would recommend the property. Great food in RC also.
http://community.webshots.com/album/17178035whTwcVWqwH

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Mar 7, 2002, 9:23 am

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Did you receive an upgrade to the casita or did you book it? I love this property... When in the summer did you go? I love it there!!!
Old Mar 7, 2002, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
We received what was called a demi-suite or a mini-suite. The room was like a triangular figure 8 (use your imaginatin) and the bathroom rather small. Cactus in room was a nice touch and well appointed decorations, but the beauty of the hotel lies outside the room definitely. Casitas were $1000 a night so maybe another time.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Mar 10, 2002, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We have stayed at this resort numerous times and have stayed in the casitas several times (paid full rate). The resort is stunning. However I cannot remember one single time when I haven't had some problem there, and in most cases the problem was not quickly resolved. While the public areas are beautiful, most guest rooms face non-descript areas such as a parking lot or the very busy front entrance. Many rooms also face very noisy areas. The resort caters to large conventions/meetings. After numerous poor experiences and very high rates, we have decided to stay elsewhere in the future.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
The search funtion if filled with experience on this property, one of the very best domestic Hyatt's.

It is very expensive in the good weather, and moderately expensive in the summer (HOT). Food prices are none too cheap either.

Ignoring the budget and the heat...the property is wonderful and everyone should enjoy it.

The pools are some of the best offered anywhere. Shade is always available somewhere for those, like I, who want to avoid the potential skin damages of exposure. Other areas are full of sun for the others. A sandy "beach" is also available. Good food and drink service. Cold water and spritzing are sometime on and sometimes not.

If still available eat at the Italian Rest. and get the free gondola ride. Great "chick" ride at sunset, with opera sung by some of the dondoliers.

The RC is great. Rooms vary considerably.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
A spectacular resort- at least the public areas are. The rooms are average and a vast majority face a parking lot, the very busy and noisy front entrance, or the very noisy courtyard. Probably less than 20 face the beauitiful pools.

The service is very spotty. We have stayed there probably 12-15 times and have had some problem every time we have stayed.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 5:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trd:
I will be there Friday night on a free nights faster room -- will report.</font>
It is a truly beautiful property, but also has a questionable reputation with regards to service levels. It will be good to hear your views and in particular how you’re treated as a Diamond on an award stay. Let us know if they give you RC access.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 3:29 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Stayed last Friday night -- I arrived somewhat late (7:30) due to delayed flight. I was not offered a RC room and I did not ask. When I got to my room (a healthy hike) it was quite nice with a view overlooking a large lagoon and condos on the opposite side. I then realized that I had not been asked about an amenity choice. When I went down to the front desk to ask about it (I had called, was on hold for a couple of minutes, then decided to walk and check things out). I was told that Diamonds got an amenity on the second night of the stay, I said "I'm only staying tonight", and was told that it would then be sent up that night. I offered to give her my room number but she said was not needed -- would happen automatically. I was somewhat skepical, but when I got back from dinner it was there. No beverages, but a selection of cheese, fruits and meats -- pretty good. One of the other posts on this hotel complained that many rooms overlooked the parking lot -- I walked completely around and this is not true -- only 8 rooms overlook parking lot, another bank of 40 or so are quite high with a good view of mountains, but are immediately over a parking garage. All of the other rooms overlook lovely courtyards. A very nice set up. The meal in the Golden Swan, their best restaurant was tasty enough, but service was spotty -- friendly enough but not terribly prompt. I had to send back the lobster bisque as it was barely warm -- it returned hot and I was not charged for it. Very good selection of wines by the glass. They certainly do not have a dress code -- Two guys came in to join a group already eating -- with cutoffs and sleeveless shirts (looked like they had just finished jogging). This was at 8:30 on Friday night -- a bit to casual for this kind of restuarant. Several weeks ago I had dinner at Mary Elaine's in the Phoenician (also in Scottsdale). I was well dressed (all in black) but was asked to put a jacket on (they supplied). Now that was a great meal in a truly good restaurant.

[This message has been edited by trd (edited 06-09-2002).]
Old Jun 10, 2002, 9:44 am

Thanks for your reply. How was Scottsdale given the 100+ degree heat? ALso, many have quipped about the actual interior of the rooms. Were they up to par for such a pricey Hyatt?
Old Jun 10, 2002, 1:48 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
bathroom was fine; the room itself was roomy, but no desk, just a glass topped round table; a nice "easy" chair, balcony with chairs and cactus. All in all, perfectly OK room, but nothing special. As they say "it's a dry heat" (yah!)
Old Jun 10, 2002, 7:25 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
One of my first trips there was July 4th 1991 and the temp was 132! It was GREAT. Luckily our plane landed, because they had to stop flights in for a little while due to tires exploding. (oops!)

As for the amenity, it has ALWAYS been that way. If you stay multiple days, you are supposed to get one on day 2, day 5, day 7, something like that. Always the same, pretty good. Remember due to the indian reservation, no alcohol can be given free. If you go over to the strip mall across Pima, there is no liquor served due to the indian reservation.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 2:32 pm

Gainey Ranch Scottsdale

Due to stay here from the 28th Nov to 15th Dec, as a Diamond member how can I expect to be treated, are Fountain court suites worth the points upgrade? should we go for a casita or would two rooms be better for a family?
Thanks for any help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.