Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt lifetime Diamond, BA Gold, Amex ?
Hyatt Thessaloniki gets better and better

This hotel just gets better, the staff have always been nice, but over the last eighteen months have got better and better, the food and Beveridge dept has noticeably improved beyond measure. This has been the number one hotel in the area for some time. The new manager has obviously set his sights on being number one in the country, and he could do it, if he had been here 8 years ago when the Greek economy was at its height it would already be number 1.
Next time your near thessaloniki give it a go.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just made another reservation last night! This will be my third year in a row I leave out of SKG on purpose so I can take a day off and relax in this gem of a hotel. Both times super happy. And I am not even a Hyatt guy
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
This hotel is so good I am shocked it is Greek :-)

Fantastic service from every single staff member, super clean, you get breakfast for a stay with points, all rooms are large, spa/fitness/pool/outdoors is grand. They have a habit of parking nice cars outside, saw and touched a real Ferrari last night. Loved being picked up and driven to the hotel in a Mercedes, take that Lufthansa FCT

I always went to Greece by burning United miles and flying Lufthansa and Aegean through SKG. With the UA devaluation coming up....I am distraught
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Thessaloniki Greece REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

With all these great reviews I'm considering adding this hotel to our Greek vacation schedule I'm trying to plan for May 2014. (Burning UA miles prior to the devaluation.)

Website makes it look like it's a nice hotel but basically a resort with no real ocean appeal and more of an inland resort that can be found just about anywhere. Is this correct?

Had planned on:
- flying into ATH spending 2 nights there at the SPG Grande Bretagne
- flying to Crete to spend 5 nights there at the SPG Blue Palace
- taking ferry to Santorini to spend 3 nights there either at the SPG Mystique or paying for the nights at the Katikies
- taking ferry or flying back to ATH to spend one night there and flying back to US from there the next morning

Question: Would it make sense to fly from Santorini to Thessaloniki and spending 2 nights at the Hyatt and flying back to US from there? Would even 1 night be worth it?

Since it's a Cat. 4 I could burn my Chase free night and either pay for the second night or use points. I'm only a Platinum so I won't get all the great upgrades mentioned by Diamond members in this thread.

Last edited by christianj; Dec 30, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:13 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
IMHO, do not go to Thessaloniki simply for this hotel. Been there; not much going on. To me, the places you mention go something like this: Greek islands >>>>> Athens >> Thessaloniki.

My suggestion is that you spend one day in Athens, basically to see the Parthenon etc., and the rest in the islands. Athens is dirty, and you can see the top sites in a day.

Also, we thought Grande Bretagne was fine for the location, but we were not blown away. Mystique had recently opened when we visited and we thought it was beautiful. I can close my eyes and picture the view of the caldera even though it has been six or so years.

Again, all IMHO.

Last edited by nnn; Dec 31, 2013 at 12:18 am
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
... you get breakfast for a stay with points...(
Are you a diamond member? The hotel told me that award stays do not receive breakfast, it would be great if that weren't true.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:35 am

Smile

Will definitely NOT go to Thessaloniki just to stay in this hotel!

Yes, inland resort with definitely no real ocean appeal. But some great beaches are less than two hours south.

>>>>>>Would it make sense to fly from Santorini to Thessaloniki and spending 2 nights at the Hyatt and flying back to US from there?

If you already did Athens, I would say yes! Aegean flies out of SKG with plenty of flights! I LOVE flying out of SKG than Athens. Small airport with small lines. And the hotel is 5 mins away w/ shuttle (or a Mercedes ride if you get lucky). Email conscierge and u will get the Benz ride most likely. And small great Aegean lounge with bus that drives you to the plane.
I found the Grand Bretagne over rated, I prefer the Hilton (it was just 20k HH points years ago...oh those were the days!)

I am Platinum and shocked I got the free breakfast. I shut up and did not clarify

That smiley on top was a mistake and do not see a way to delete it, fyi!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Thanks for the comments. We couldn't get a return flight on the dates we wanted out of SKG so ATH it is with no Hyatt visit.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Has anybody used a DSU here recently?

When I look at the hotel website, they offer a "Regency Suite King" at 80 sqm and a "Regency Executive Suite" at 100 sqm.

However, the room description for "Deluxe King" also refers to a 80 sqm suite.

As a Diamond, I would expect to end up in a "deluxe" room, but either a) it isn't really a suite and the description is wrong or b) the suites are actually just deluxe rooms and there's no point wasting a DSU.

Wondering if anybody can shed some light...
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Stayed there twice, without using any DSU.

We were given the Regency Suite both times.

We had one-night stays then, maybe that's why.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:57 pm

Looks like the hotel manager got a promotion and now is working in Geneva in early 2015. Hope the quality does not go down!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
FWIW, I just started a stay here <5 minutes ago. My companion went to the bathroom and saw an ant moving around; I investigated and saw a dead ant on the floor and a live one hanging out by the shower. I informed the FD and they moved me quickly.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I am a Hyatt Gold member only. Planning to arrive at the property about 630pm. We are 3, and have a 640am flight the next day to ATH & CDG. Does the airport shuttle have a specific time when it starts? Will we have time for breakfast ?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
We recently completed a 2 night C&P stay. As a Diamond we were upgraded to a business suite, but when we walked in and found it was a smoking room they moved us up to one of their best suites with a pool view; unlucky and then very lucky. Michael the Concierge was one of the best in the business, outstanding! We enjoyed their indoor pool and the breakfast spread as well. They offer a free shuttle into town and that was very handy for taking in a dinner and the sights. This is a great place from which to explore northern Greece.^^^

We rented a car in Athens and totaly enjoyed a week exploring the the rural areas and the ancient and historic sites.

Last edited by 236Dakota; Apr 25, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:50 am

This is THE property to stay in Northern Greece in my opinion. I have stayed here several times and will be returning in late June again with the whole family. Previous manager got promoted so not sure if the new one will be up to par. If every hotel in Greece was as well managed as this one #dreaming

I wrote about it here:
http://travelbloggerbuzz.com/hyatt-r...gem-sea-chaos/

To Moderator: If this does not comply with FT link policy please delete the the previous sentence!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.