Wiki Posts
Search

Using points to book suite rooms

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Using points to book suite rooms

Hi,

I only booked standard rooms so far using my Hyatt GP points, but this time I'm considering booking a suite room using points.
I'm having a hard time finding information regarding booking suites with points, so I was hoping to get some of my questions clarified in this thread.

1) Is there are limit on the inventory of suites for point redemption, or if a standard entry-level suite is available for cash booking, can I assume it is available to book with points as well, just like the stand room awards?

2) Is there a minimum night requirement for suite redemption?
I read somewhere that suites can be booked with points only with a minimum of 3-night stay, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

3) As a Diamond member, can I gift suite room awards to others as GOH bookings?

Thank you-!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:24 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
Hi,

I only booked standard rooms so far using my Hyatt GP points, but this time I'm considering booking a suite room using points.
I'm having a hard time finding information regarding booking suites with points, so I was hoping to get some of my questions clarified in this thread.

1) Is there are limit on the inventory of suites for point redemption, or if a standard entry-level suite is available for cash booking, can I assume it is available to book with points as well, just like the stand room awards?

2) Is there a minimum night requirement for suite redemption?
I read somewhere that suites can be booked with points only with a minimum of 3-night stay, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

3) As a Diamond member, can I gift suite room awards to others as GOH bookings?

Thank you-!
Just trying to answer as many questions as possible. As a customer I have no hindsight into the company itself, can only report based on personal experience:

1.) You can check availability of the 3,000 points upselling for Grand/Regency Club online, for suites only by phoning. My personal experience: The inventory for Grand/Regency Club is seems to be generous.

It is the perfect reward both for the customers and the hotel. Due to the fact that this doesn't work with extremely discounted rates the revenue for the hotel is the "price difference between the rates" and the adjusted amount between the hotel and Hyatt.

My suite upselling experience is not vast enough to give an overview. But I have the impression that the inventory is not so generous and that in some hotels the entry-level suites is nothing to write home about (if you travel with 2 people and don't really need the space).

So the first step is to read the hotel description thoroughly.

2.) Minimum stay-period: I am not aware of this requirement. If I remember correctly I have seen that some years ago in the terms and conditions. Some kind of differentiation between leisure destinations/resorts and non-resorts.
I think it is not valid at the moment.

What you may refer to is that the 3,000 points/6,000 points for many years was valid for up to four consecutive nights. Which was a real bargain. Sometime ago this was changed for 3,000 points/6,000 points per night.

Therefore I personally used the Club Upgrades for more than one night but only based on my personal preference not to "throw away" points. So i had the "internal minimum stay requirement" of two nights.

More info can be found on the official website:
https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/customer...conditions.jsp

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by gum; Feb 21, 2017 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Apart from the upsell, you can use points to book suites. I believe it runs from 8K per night for a category 1 up to 48K per night for a category 7. You need to book a minimum of 3 nights and it can only be done by calling Hyatt.

There's a whole lot of theory that doesn't necessarily translate into practice when booking suites. But in theory you can grab any entry-level suite that is for sale to the public.

I assume you can GoH suites just as you can any other room booked with points, but I couldn't say 100% for sure.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Gold Passport: https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/customer...conditions.jsp

7. Hyatt Gold Passport Free Night Awards indicating accommodations in a suite for Hyatt hotels and resorts are only valid for standard suites defined as each participating properties introductory suite category. At Hyatt House hotels and Hyatt Residence Club resorts, Free Night Awards indicating accommodations in a suite are valid for accommodations in the room type category immediately above standard room. Suite upgrade awards are not valid at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort, Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, Park Hyatt Sydney, Andaz Tokyo, Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Phuket Resort, Hyatt Regency Tulsa, Hyatt Regency Wichita, Hyatt Paris Madeleine, Hyatt Herald Square, Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa, Hyatt Manila City of Dreams, Hyatt Santa Barbara, Hyatt Residence Club resorts, Hyatt Place hotels and M life resorts. Hyatt Gold Passport free night suite awards at Hyatt hotels and resorts require a three night minimum length of stay.
World of Hyatt: https://goldpassport.hyatt.com/conte...erms.html#/IIB

3. Suite Free Night Awards: Free Night Awards for suite accommodation (“Suite Free Night Awards”) are only valid for standard suites, defined as each participating hotel’s or resort’s introductory suite category, and are subject to availability. Suite Free Night Awards require a three (3) consecutive night minimum length of stay, all of which must be Suite Free Night Awards. The Member may redeem Suite Free Night Awards as part of a longer paid stay, provided that this initial minimum requirement of three (3) consecutive Suite Free Night Awards is satisfied. At Hyatt House hotels and Hyatt Residence Club resorts, Suite Free Night Awards are valid for accommodations in the room category immediately above standard room. Suite Free Night Awards are not valid at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa, Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, Park Hyatt Sydney, Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills, Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Tulsa, Hyatt Regency Wichita, Hyatt Paris Madeleine, Hyatt Herald Square New York, Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa, Hyatt City of Dreams Manila, Hyatt Centric Santa Barbara, Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami, Hyatt Place hotels or M life Resorts. (These hotels and resorts are referred to collectively in these Terms as the “Suite Award Ineligible Properties.”)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Apart from the upsell, you can use points to book suites. I believe it runs from 8K per night for a category 1 up to 48K per night for a category 7. You need to book a minimum of 3 nights and it can only be done by calling Hyatt.

There's a whole lot of theory that doesn't necessarily translate into practice when booking suites. But in theory you can grab any entry-level suite that is for sale to the public.
Just spoke to Reservations and they indicated that "standard suite" availability does not correlate to suite availability on points.

I gave her my date range and she was able to see right away what dates were unavailable, but she seemed to think that other than those dates I should be able to book the suites online, and was surprised to confirm for herself that this was not the case.

So unless someone has a workaround, it seems that calling in is the only surefire way to book suites on points...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
So unless someone has a workaround, it seems that calling in is the only surefire way to book suites on points...
You can't book suites with points yourself. Your best bet is to call.

The "6K/night" suite upsell is from a paid reservation (and far from all rates qualify. I've tried a few times recently, and it basically requires buying the normal rate for the top level non-suite room).
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...-upgrades.html

If using all points, it is anywhere from 8K (cat 1) up to 48K points (cat 7). Which absolutely may still be worthwhile depending on the location, but just be aware that it isn't a straight 6K/nt, it's anywhere from 3K (cat1) to 18K (cat7) extra per night.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:34 am

Any way you can book a premium suite with points?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Any way you can book a premium suite with points?
A partial answer is that at some hotels, more than one room category is considered to be a standard suite for the purposes of the WOH program. Start by looking at suite descriptions carefully for the properties that interest you.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A partial answer is that at some hotels, more than one room category is considered to be a standard suite for the purposes of the WOH program. Start by looking at suite descriptions carefully for the properties that interest you.
I am specifically talking about the suites which have descriptions to the effect 'premium suiite, not standard'
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I am specifically talking about the suites which have descriptions to the effect 'premium suiite, not standard'
OK, but at some properties, you'd be surprised what's included in the list of standard suites, although of course I haven't yet seen the presidential suite included. YMMV.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OK, but at some properties, you'd be surprised what's included in the list of standard suites, although of course I haven't yet seen the presidential suite included. YMMV.
Yea, some hotels have nicer ones but on the website nowadays it clearly lays out what is a premium suite. And at some hotels, basically everything nice is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.