Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Chengdu REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

Grand Hyatt Chengdu

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Grand Hyatt Chengdu

Jinjiang, Chunxi Rd South Chengdu, Sichuan CN

Grand Hyatt Chengdu REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (18 Photos)

Grand Hyatt Chengdu

Had a great two night stay here at Chengdu. After arriving from Tokyo after 10 p.m., we had a bit of trouble trying to get into the country via TWOV, but after about 20 minutes and three different immigration officers passing around our passports, we finally made it out. I don't speak a lick of Chinese, but based on the paper they were looking at curiously, it may have been the fact that no one seemed to know what the hotel was, which would not be surprising, since it only opened a few months ago. 

That theme carried forward to the cab driver. One of the best things I learned from FT in preparation for this trip was to print the Chinese website of the hotel before arriving. Without it, I would've been sunk, as none of the taxi drivers we encountered on this trip spoke any English. After we hoped in and showed him the printout, he was confused at first, but radioing his dispatch seemed to give him at least some inkling of where the hotel may be, and after a 30 minute drive and 70RMB later (more because of nighttime, I think), we zoomed into the hotel entrance:

i-Cw4kRJ6-M.jpg

i-kzmT7X7-M.jpg

Check in was quick. Status noted, diamond benefits not explained (and it didn't matter, a letter was waiting in the room), DSU confirmed into a Grand Suite King on the 28th floor, and the front desk agent walked us over to the elevators to make sure that we knew that we had to swipe our keycards to get to our floor. (As with other Asian hotels, the lobby is on the 15th floor, so two elevators were needed to get to the room). 

The room was very nice, albeit not very large. Based on the floor plan, the Grand Suite is two standard rooms together. 

Living room:

i-RVvLBgL-S.jpg

Bedroom:

i-Hvf6Qjb-S.jpg

i-nNKsfKL-S.jpg

Turndown service waiting for us (water and chocolates replenished nightly):

i-66jP66x-S.jpg

Wetbar area:

i-HrXb5ns-S.jpg

Bath:

i-LTzV4Dn-S.jpg

Super large shower (probably the best part of the room for us):

i-HJxrBmN-S.jpg

Weird, stale chocolates in the living room:

i-5w4RSpW-S.jpg

View from the room:

i-r85Ldh5-S.jpg

Breakfast was in the main restaurant in the morning (6-10:30 on weekdays/6-11 on weekends), as I was told at check-in that the lounge was not yet finished (although no offer of 2,500 points for lounge closure). As most of you, we've had some great Asian breakfasts, and this one fell somewhere between good and ok. Great fruit juices, though.

i-nTL6Cg9-S.jpg

i-VxkMSXn-S.jpg

i-Q32GJkp-S.jpg

Dan dan noodles:

i-99m5cJf-S.jpg

Seating area may look like it could be any HR in the States but it looked a lot swankier in person:

i-Q3TM7CG-S.jpg

I had called the day before checking out for a 4 p.m. checkout, but the agent noted that I already had it. That's great. There were also drinks offered in the lobby area, but we didn't get a chance to try this out. 

The primary purpose of this trip was panda viewing, as the wife loves panda. Happy wife, happy life! It's true that the only place that allows panda pictures is the Dujiangyan Panda base, which was a 90 minute drive from the GH. We hired a driver to take us to the Dujiangyan Panda base where you could volunteer for the day (read: do some sweat inducing labor involving bamboo and panda poop), feed a panda treats and carrots, and hold this guy (Bing Jing) below for 2,500 RMB:

i-3fSrt8N-S.jpg

Since my wife loves pandas, it was completely worth it, even if the panda picture experience was only 30 seconds. If you're interested in the driver we used for the day, send me a PM and I'd be happy to help. The driver was great at accompanying us all day and taking photos of us during our panda experience. Although do note that you were not allowed to take pictures with the panda together as a couple. 

The next day, we took a cab to the Chengdu Panda Research Center for 40 RMB. This base was much closer than Dujiangyan and had many more pandas. We aimed to get there at opening, so we left the hotel at 7 and got to the center right at the 7:30 opening. This was the perfect time to see a bunch of pandas interacting with each other:

i-vrJXdpS-S.jpg

Since we had a flight to catch, we left about 10, just as the hoards of tour groups started arriving. By this time, though, the pandas had already started to take their mid-morning naps. So all the warnings about going at opening were spot on. That's when the pandas appeared to be most active. The return trip to the hotel took much longer with traffic and came out to 65 RMB. 

Back to the hotel, it's worth noting that it's connected to a department store with several restaurants on the 9th and 10th floors. There's also an ATM in the basemet level of the department store (Bank of China and some other bank) and several across the street that all dispensed yuan fine with my non-chip US bank ATM card. 

55 RMB back to the airport during daytime hours.

Check In

Good!

Room

Small!

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt Chengdu?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:45 am

Stayed here recently for one night. Very nice hotel, lots of shopping malls nearby. Upgraded to a suite without asking. Suite is large and well layout (exactly as described above). Lounge is still not open. Offered free cocktails in the lobby lounge and the bar. Didn't have time for breakfast in the restaurant, but the staff packed up some croissants and juices togo. Staff were very nice and welcoming. Will definitely stay here again if in Chengdu.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Great hotel and management and staff is wonderful. Great Diamond treatment and recognition, including advance confirmed UG to a suite like above with extra bed in living room and made up sofa into bed to very comfortably accommodate two kids.

Club lounge is great.

All the managers I met or corresponded with from the GM, to the Asst Manager Calvin, to the Club Manager Ken, to the front desk manager -- all were over the top trying to be accommodating and helpful.

Hotel room/suites are very modern, elegant and comfortable.

Terrific addition to the Hyatt portfolio in China!

Last edited by nologic; Aug 11, 2016 at 10:17 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Stayed here recently in April 2017. Initial impression was that it was a beautiful hotel. Public areas are stylish without being too over the top.

However, while the public areas have a somewhat timeless design with stone finishing and brushed metals, the room itself seems dated which is a bad sign for a hotel that's only a year old. It seemed like all the leftover blonde wood from the 2000s ended up in these rooms together with the brown granite from the 90s. Almost every wall was clad in this wood paneling.

The air conditioning wasn't able to cool the room to a comfortable temperature at night which meant that the thick duvet had to be thrown off. They did send an engineer to check this but they said it was working as it should be. Also the rain shower head which was huge was faulty so all the water poured out one side of the head rather than evenly through the shower head.

Breakfast for club was in the Grand Cafe (no club lounge breakfast). It was disappointing that the breakfast every day was exactly the same. Also I spotted the Chinese buns and dim sum being removed from supermarket bought packages and placed in the steamers.

The club lounge served decent canapés and the selection here did change from day to day. The champagne served was a semi-dec undoubtedly to cater for sweet Chinese tastes.

Service overall was good. However some quibbles were that some staff didn't have great English, although most were good enough. The breakfast plates didn't get cleared quickly and no proactive top ups of coffee.

And the biggest annoyance - the lifts play one song on constant rotation: La Vie en Rose.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Would someone mind PM'ing me the email address of a management-level person at the hotel? I've got a somewhat personal/sensitive issue that I'd like to flag for the hotel and I'd rather not send it to the generic email on the website. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Had a great four-night stay here recently. Booked a standard king room and was upgraded to a suite (as an Explorist; applied a Club Access Award). Suite was fantastic. Great breakfast in the main restaurant. Food during happy hour in the lounge was limited, but high quality. There were also two prepared to order items each night (e.g. hamburgers, dan dan noodles). Good liquor and decent wines (import). Excellent service throughout. A swim cap is required to use the pool, but not the hot tub...there's one in the men's locker room (and women's?), but the one in main pool is quite nice, albeit less hot. The hotel is closest to the Chunxi Road metro stop, which makes the airport and the East Railway Station both easy to get to.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Was considering booking a stay here but was surprised to see it as Cat 3 12,000 points per night. Figured it was 8k.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta 2MM/Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Caveat Emptor - I just stayed at the GH Chengdu. They tried to add an additional 15% to my folio (called it a tax). At checkout I suggest you careful compare the folio to your reservation details. I had a copy of my reservation which I showed them and they then removed the excess 15%.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Dec 22, 2019 at 8:05 pm
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:42 am

Finished an excellent stay here. Quick thoughts:

1) Upgraded to a suite. I like the design. Some living room areas in suites seem like toss ons where they add a couch to charge more but this one was a pleasant place for my family to sit and chill out. There was also a small dining room like table which also was a spot we sat at a bit.

2) They let us check in at 5am! This was hugely nice after a long flight from the Middle East.

3) CL breakfast is actually pretty good with raspberries and pecans available as well as made to order hot items. They kindly let us eat in main buffet spot but CL would be pretty good of they had not. I almost always want full buffet breakfast but might take CL one if I had to pay for buffet as it is quite good. I am just learning about prive which I think k this hotel participates in and this people get free breakfast

Evening cocktails also had a good quality food selection. We had 2 dinners on the 16th floor hot pot place and one dinner in CL.

4) location is awesome right on main walking street of Chengdu. Great shops and hot pot around. Really one can't get a better location for tourists.

5) Hotel had a complimentary A8 to shuttle us around town (I think limited promotion for this) ich was nice.

6) Gym is pretty good. Was able to get in fairly serious workouts. They had a nice jacuzzi and sauna area too. I didn't try swimming as they need one to wear a swimming cap which I don't like

All in all I highly recommend this hotel. This will be my new go to hotel for Chengdu.
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:30 pm

Did I read right that this is dropping down to a category 1 hotel? 5000 normally and 3500 off peak? This can't be right. This would be the best value in the system. I might just move here for several months at these rates...
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Did I read right that this is dropping down to a category 1 hotel? 5000 normally and 3500 off peak? This can't be right. This would be the best value in the system. I might just move here for several months at these rates...
Yes. GH Xian as well. (I've never stayed at either of these properties but just seems like a very good deal)
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Yes. GH Xian as well. (I've never stayed at either of these properties but just seems like a very good deal)

It's unbelievable. I booked at 8000 points and thought it was a steal. I love this hotel - service and location great. The hot pot restaurant is fabulous. The gym and spa area relaxing. Club Lounge fabulous.

I can't believe how low the points redemption is - will be a wonderful mattress run if I ever need one. HR Bangkok also dropped (another favorite) but this is an even better value.

Meanwhile i have a category 5 35, 000 point Marriott certificate that I haven't been able to use since October because the last category 5s I've been at are always at 40k.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:02 am

duplicate

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 13, 2020 at 9:27 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SHLTP
It's unbelievable. I booked at 8000 points and thought it was a steal. I love this hotel - service and location great. The hot pot restaurant is fabulous. The gym and spa area relaxing. Club Lounge fabulous.

I can't believe how low the points redemption is - will be a wonderful mattress run if I ever need one. HR Bangkok also dropped (another favorite) but this is an even better value.

Meanwhile i have a category 5 35, 000 point Marriott certificate that I haven't been able to use since October because the last category 5s I've been at are always at 40k.
I might as well light my remaining Marriott points on fire. 25000 is getting very little in Seoul. I would love for GH Seoul to go as low as Chengdu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.