Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hyatt type is meaningless

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

hyatt type is meaningless

It seems like whether it is a "Park" or "Grand" or whatever Hyatt doesn't really have much meaning. Doesn't predict whether the property is beautiful or service is great. Why do they bother?
Old May 14, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I don't disagree. Some are called GH so they can charge more - NYC comes to mind But in most other cases, the designation does have meaning, at least from the best I can tell.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
The GH name does consistently prepare me to brace for the June Jacob toiletries that I hate.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, there's inconsistency between properties, but that's true of every chain. Hyatt is as good as any of them at brand consistency. The hierarchy PH>GH>HR holds generally, if not, uniformly true.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doess anybody understand what the Unbound Collection is supposed to be?
Old May 14, 2016, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doess anybody understand what the Unbound Collection is supposed to be?
Seems like a catch-all for whatever boutique hotels that Hyatt buys or manages that they don't want to brand with the Hyatt name.

So to answer your question, nope!
Old May 14, 2016, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The only one that seems consistent is full service Marriott - their big convention hotels get the Marquis title.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The only one that seems consistent is full service Marriott - their big convention hotels get the Marquis title.
Really? I've stayed in some full service Marriotts that were enormous convention hotels and did not have Marquis in their names. Philadelphia is one example. Another is Boston. IIRC San Diego too.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Really? I've stayed in some full service Marriotts that were enormous convention hotels and did not have Marquis in their names. Philadelphia is one example. Another is Boston. IIRC San Diego too.
Both San Diego and San Francisco added the Marquis title well after their initial openings. The big new hotel at McCormick Place will also be a Marquis.

But you're right, there are a couple of exceptions (especially Philly at 1200 rooms) and Boston Copely Place at 1100.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:50 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Interesting, I have experience the Marriott Chain to be the MOST inconsistent with their brands and my expectations.

Hyatt IMO it the most consistent. you simply know what to expect.
Old May 15, 2016, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can't think of any Grand that I'd rate above any Park.
Old May 15, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by a193991
Interesting, I have experience the Marriott Chain to be the MOST inconsistent with their brands and my expectations.

Hyatt IMO it the most consistent. you simply know what to expect.
I agree!! I can't wait to see the bowl of spaghetti that's going to come out after the spg merger.
Old May 15, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You obviously haven't been to Mendoza or Toronto to judge a weak Park and Kuala Lumpur, Taipei etc. for an outstanding Grand .

I suspect the OP hasn't been to enough Hyatt properties to judge. Outside of the US, a Park Hyatt is definitely luxury, with a couple of notable exceptions. At a good Park, I definitely know I'm at one, without being able to describe it exactly.

The Park Hamburg probably should be a Grand, and there are a few resort property Grands (Cannes, Mexico, Bali, etc.) that probably should be something else but do indeed fall in between the standards for a Park and those of a Regency.

Although cookie-cutter, Hyatt Place and Hyatt House are exactly what you expect of them almost always...
Old May 15, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Service is better at both GH SIN, GH HKG, and GH Erawan than at PH NYC. I would rather stay at any of those Grands. No nickel and diming, either.

Last edited by Kacee; May 15, 2016 at 10:25 am
Old May 15, 2016, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

In Japan two Hyatt Regencies are definitely not: I've only been to the Hakone one, but Kyoto is supposed to be pretty good as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.