Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards (usage change-only up to expiration date-2016 DSU on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards (usage change-only up to expiration date-2016 DSU on)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:00 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster

Dear Flyer Talkers,

Diamond members enjoy many exclusive privileges including suite upgrades at the time of reservation four times annually on eligible paid nights. On March 1, 2016, Diamond members will receive four new Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards, and we want to provide clarity on an upcoming modification to the redemption period:

What’s changing? Suite awards issued on or after March 1, 2016 must be redeemed for reservations with a checkout date prior to the expiration date of the award. Suite awards not redeemed prior to the expiration date of the award will be forfeited.

What’s not changing? Suite awards issued prior to March 1, 2016, must be redeemed by making a reservation no later than the last day of February 2016 for future reservations. In the event one of these Suite awards is redeemed for stay dates beyond the expiration date and the reservation is cancelled after the last day of February 2016, the Suite award will be forfeited.

These changes will be reflected on our website and within our Terms and Conditions on February 1, 2016.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well looks like the other thread is right - no more DSU's past expiration date.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
So lets say for example, at some point in the future, you make a reservation for March 1st, you're saying you can't apply a DSU until March 1st? That seems a little silly.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Dear Flyer Talkers, .....
Is there any chance Diamonds will get their certificates on their account as soon as we re-qualify instead of waiting until March 1st? That would fix the issue we are facing now: Let's say I start planning a vacation for April 2017 around July 2016 and let's say I re-qualify for Diamond on June of 2016. I won't be getting the new set of upgrade until March 1st of 2017, basically 1 month (or less) before my stay, therefore the chances of securing an upgrade in advance are very slim. If the certificates were awarded right at the time you achieve Diamond status (like SWUs are awarded when you reach American Airlines Executive Platinum), then you can avoid this issue. Hopefully this is a change we also see in the near future.
Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by amiras
Is there any chance Diamonds will get their certificates on their account as soon as we re-qualify instead of waiting until March 1st? That would fix the issue we are facing now: Let's say I start planning a vacation for April 2017 around July 2016 and let's say I re-qualify for Diamond on June of 2016. I won't be getting the new set of upgrade until March 1st of 2017, basically 1 month (or less) before my stay, therefore the chances of securing an upgrade in advance are very slim. If the certificates were awarded right at the time you achieve Diamond status (like SWUs are awarded when you reach American Airlines Executive Platinum), then you can avoid this issue. Hopefully this is a change we also see in the near future.
Thanks!
Agreed. This would be much better.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge

What’s not changing? Suite awards issued prior to March 1, 2016, must be redeemed by making a reservation no later than the last day of February 2016 for future reservations. In the event one of these Suite awards is redeemed for stay dates beyond the expiration date and the reservation is cancelled after the last day of February 2016, the Suite award will be forfeited.
Have the properties and customer service agents been properly advised of this? There have been many, many reports of refusal to apply DSUs for stays post Feb. 28.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:29 am

Well that's nice. I book a 5 night or so long stay at a very expensive property during a super high demand event time every year and always book it immediately after the event ends for the next year. So now, I will no longer be able to get a DSU used and confirmed as I have the last 5 years in a row since it will be in the next year, which means I will have to wait 8 months even though I have a DSU to use, and it will no longer be available to use by then. Nice. That will pretty much destroy the value of booking that annual $3000+ booking now.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Stupid policy. If we want a suite in early March, we have to wait until March 1st to use the upgrade? No booking ahead?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:57 am

I imagine the phone lines will be slammed on March 1st with everyone calling to apply their upgrades for the year! I hope nobody needs any "real" service that day. We will be tying up the diamond lines and the agents will be tying up the hotel lines calling them to update the reservation.

Is there a set time on March 1st when we can begin calling to apply these? I imagine high demand dates will go quickly so it would be nice to know if we can call at midnight? 8 A.M.?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by SQNfan
Is there a set time on March 1st when we can begin calling to apply these? I imagine high demand dates will go quickly so it would be nice to know if we can call at midnight? 8 A.M.?
EST? GMT? Honestly, while I would not want DSUs deposited upon requal due to my travel patterns, I guess it's not too unfair to do so.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens to a stay that spans March 1? This could require two DSUs, one from each year, for only two nights in a suite.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by amiras
Thanks!
I support this suggestion.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I support this suggestion.
Another +1
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
Another +1
Yet another +1
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Whether directly a result of the twitter match or not, this is a most unwelcome change. Makes booking summer trips so much more difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.