Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Contacting hotel for family member to check in for me... now 2nd room added?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I booked 1 reward night for my parents at the HR Taipei for early November. I made the booking under my account but forgot to note that my father will be checking in for me. After I made the reservation, I emailed the hotel and stated that he will be checking in for me. When I check the reservation now, it's still 1 confirmation number, but it shows RATE/ROOM1 under my name, and RATE/ROOM2 with my father's name. Rate type for both show a reward booking. I have very few points in my account and no points were deducted. Is this what normally happens? Or does it look like they'll try to charge for 2 rooms upon check-in? I've never had someone else check in for me before at a Hyatt stay. Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Why don't you just call customer service and have them change the entire stay to a GOH so you don't have to deal with "checking in for you" issues?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Why don't you just call customer service and have them change the entire stay to a GOH so you don't have to deal with "checking in for you" issues?
GOH? Are you suggesting I contact the hotel or GP?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:25 pm

Contact GP and tell them it's a Guest of Honor (GOH) reservation.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I booked 1 reward night for my parents at the HR Taipei for early November. I made the booking under my account but forgot to note that my father will be checking in for me. After I made the reservation, I emailed the hotel and stated that he will be checking in for me. When I check the reservation now, it's still 1 confirmation number, but it shows RATE/ROOM1 under my name, and RATE/ROOM2 with my father's name. Rate type for both show a reward booking. I have very few points in my account and no points were deducted. Is this what normally happens? Or does it look like they'll try to charge for 2 rooms upon check-in? I've never had someone else check in for me before at a Hyatt stay. Thanks
That's the way it's typically notated for a named 2nd guest. I agree, if you're Diamond and the stay is an award one, just have the reservation in their name with GOH notated. If you're not Diamond, it won't matter anyways if the room is in your name or your father. Having the reservation in his name is just much cleaner and less confusing to all.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
That's the way it's typically notated for a named 2nd guest. I agree, if you're Diamond and the stay is an award one, just have the reservation in their name with GOH notated. If you're not Diamond, it won't matter anyways if the room is in your name or your father. Having the reservation in his name is just much cleaner and less confusing to all.
I forgot the GOH benefit is just for Diamonds. I'm only Platinum.

If this is how it's notated for a 2nd guest, how do they notate a reservation with 2 rooms booked?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I've probably done this a dozen times in the last 5 years or so and it's shown up like this every single time so really nothing to worry about.

It shows up almost the same way when you have two rooms, but when it's not actually a separate room it usually has 0 for the number of adults/children and the rate is usually $0 for the second "room" if it's a paid night or the same rate type if it's an award reservation. I agree that it's a little confusing, but this must be how they have to do it to have it show up correctly in their system.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen confirmed DSU reservations look like two rooms were reserved. It's confusing.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:07 am

I forgot the GOH benefit is just for Diamonds. I'm only Platinum.

If this is how it's notated for a 2nd guest, how do they notate a reservation with 2 rooms booked?
For whatever reason Hyatt does not seem to have a better way of simply putting two names on a reservation, so the confirmation looks like it is for two rooms. Rest assured that only one room is actually booked and the second guest will also be able to check in.

But, by the way, will you actually be showing up later yourself? If not, you should put the reservation in the actual guest's name.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:43 am

I agree. The Plat benefits just aren't worth the chance of an issue popping up.

If the hotel were in the US it would probably be trouble free. I wouldn't take a chance in Taipei.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I agree. The Plat benefits just aren't worth the chance of an issue popping up.

If the hotel were in the US it would probably be trouble free. I wouldn't take a chance in Taipei.
What Platinum benefits?

Of course, if the OP will not in fact be a staying guest on this booking, it needs to be in the actual guest's name. Book a club room if "benefits" are important.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
But, by the way, will you actually be showing up later yourself? If not, you should put the reservation in the actual guest's name.
I will not be at the hotel, it's for my parents only. How do I put an award reservation for them only? Isn't GOH reservations just for Diamonds?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:25 am

I will not be at the hotel, it's for my parents only. How do I put an award reservation for them only? Isn't GOH reservations just for Diamonds?
GOH is something entirely different. Anyone can make a reservation in another person's name using points, it just can only be done by calling central reservations/customer service. It is just like gifting an airline award ticket to someone.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
GOH is something entirely different. Anyone can make a reservation in another person's name using points, it just can only be done by calling central reservations/customer service. It is just like gifting an airline award ticket to someone.
......from a FF program having the rule that award tickets inherit the status of the account that was the source of the miles.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

I've see. The way it is now, I've contacted the hotel that my father is checking in. At this point, is it worth contacting Hyatt to change the reservation to his name
altogether?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.