Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Has Hyatt GP done wrong in retaining loyalty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

This is throwing out an open thought to all, so please discuss openly without judgement or preconceptions.

Last year I was comped to Diamond through the challenge and as a result almost 100% of my stays have been routed to Hyatt. I consciously selected Hyatt hotels for my business trips even though I had more compelling choices that are nearer to my office locations. And all my family holidays have been at Hyatt resorts.

But despite so, I was 8 nights short of requalifying as Diamond - so was dutifully downgraded to Platinum. Rules are rules, and I don't dispute that.

Incidentally because of BA GGL, I was comped to Diamond status in Hilton Honors this year.

Of all the top tier benefits in hotel guest program, I value lounge access the most. So now all my stays this year are channeled to Hilton properties instead. No more to Hyatt.

If GP had renewed my Diamond status, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the Hilton Diamond status and continued with my 40+ nights with Hyatt this year.

Has Hyatt then 'lost out' to Hilton in my case, or with 40+ nights I'm not considered good enough for them? The ironic thing is, had these 40+ nights been solo nights, I would've renewed Diamond status - since they would be more than sufficient to have met the 25 stays Diamond requalifying criterion...
Old May 29, 2015, 8:38 pm

The 50 nights should include 2 rooms under one stay. That's what should change as part of the program, and should allow for requalification the following year.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:43 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Ok, I'll bite. You were comped Hyatt Diamond and didn't maintain. You now have HHonors Diamond by virtue of your airline status which requires 60 nights which you also won't meet.

No offence, but neither chain would consider you as valuable as a Diamond on the simple metric of number of nights (or stays). Cash value is an entirely different metric and not worth arguing here.

The requirements are published and you were given the benefit of two comps. If you fail to requalify than you should have expected it.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
You do realize this is Flyertalk?

The dedicated chaps here do 25 stays to hold status @ hyatt and for good measure do another 25 @ another chain to get status @ another. I am one of the "lazier" one who does 50 nights.

In addition, to maintain status, I MR and I know I am not the only one who MR for both hotel or airline.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
No offence, but neither chain would consider you as valuable as a Diamond on the simple metric of number of nights (or stays). Cash value is an entirely different metric and not worth arguing here.
I've always been curious, is there such a thing as a more valuable diamond?

If so how are they determined?

And does things like how long you maintain diamond matter.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 30, 2015 at 1:19 am
Old May 29, 2015, 9:18 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DHalltheway

I've always been curious, is there such a thing as a more valuable diamond?

If so how are they determined?

And does things like how long you maintain diamond matter.
Within Diamond, I find return Diamonds to a property are treated much better than a first time Diamond. I have over 250 nights at one property and if on a single night stay I can almost guarantee that I'll get the Ambassador, Diplomatic or Presidential Suite. Properties we visit regularly or annually will also go a little more out of their way.

Courtesy Card holders used to be only hotel owners and friends of the Pritzkers. Now it includes those who have high value spend.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:42 pm

Within Diamond, I find return Diamonds to a property are treated much better than a first time Diamond. I have over 250 nights at one property and if on a single night stay I can almost guarantee that I'll get the Ambassador, Diplomatic or Presidential Suite. Properties we visit regularly or annually will also go a little more out of their way.

Courtesy Card holders used to be only hotel owners and friends of the Pritzkers. Now it includes those who have high value spend.
In my case, I have found that the properties where I have between 100 to 200 nights stay seem to not treat me as anything more than a regular diamond guest.

I am just wondering if I did/didn't do something. Or am I blinded by what I don't see?
Old May 29, 2015, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
In my case, I have found that the properties where I have between 100 to 200 nights stay seem to not treat me as anything more than a regular diamond guest.

I am just wondering if I did/didn't do something. Or am I blinded by what I don't see?
Does the GM not regularly greet or reach out to you?
Old May 29, 2015, 11:14 pm

Does the GM not regularly greet or reach out to you?
Nope.

I have to reach out to them, which means a problem has occurred.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think it depends where you are staying.

For properties in Asia where I stay often, I'll often have the manager stop by our table in the lounge, or send a personal note. For special occasions, a cake, massage, dinner or similar usually occurs.

This just doesn't happen to me in the US.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I sometimes suspect that the role and priorities of the GM are defined differently in USA versus Asian hotels of the same tier, with top European hotels similar to those in Asia.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I think it depends where you are staying.

For properties in Asia where I stay often, I'll often have the manager stop by our table in the lounge, or send a personal note. For special occasions, a cake, massage, dinner or similar usually occurs.

This just doesn't happen to me in the US.
I typically stay in Asia and the U.S.

I do get the personal note to my room and staff greeting me (not sure if they are managers)

Cake? (Amenities yes otherwise no) Massage? Dinner?! Can't say I've had such privileges.

PS: I've celebrated my birthday at Hyatt hotels as a diamond before and got NADA. At times I've done it in a hyatt I've stayed at about 30 stays. I am not sure what to make of it. Am I suppose to trumpet the fact it is my birthday to get something?

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 30, 2015 at 1:08 am
Old May 29, 2015, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I think it varies on the property. I have a substantial amount of stays at a particular PH but just get the best room I'm entitled to. Park deluxe view, etc. Never, ever been upgraded to the top suites. However, at another top Asian property, we have gotten the Skyview suite for a one night stay.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:29 am

Well, my stays are generally at a PH. Any good GM makes the effort to meet regular guests.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My comparator is as a long time Diamond Gold Passport via a Hilton Diamond via GGL status.

Hyatt has consistently gone out of their way to make things right - every single time it seems. A couple of times a year I get a really nice, unexpected upgrade.

Hilton gives what it promises but nothing more.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
I think we've answered OP's original question.

HGP hasn't done anything wrong to retain loyalty. OP had a fair shot to qualify and didn't make it. And as another member pointed out, OP probably won't requalify as Hilton diamond either.

OP, do you plan on just doing all the challenges from each program until you can't anymore? At some point, you'll have to accept that you aren't valuable enough for a program to qualify for their elite status or actually earn it the hard way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.