Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:04 am

Siren noise turned out to be a non issue (although I am a heavy sleeper).

Breakfast didnt work out this morning, the restrauant was having trouble opening (I was there at 8:30) and I did not push the issue or investigate room service.

The bathroom is pretty great, it mght be the best shower in Chicago.

I have a corner room which feels big, but there is no real desk, just a small work table. Despite that I think the in room hard product is very good. The absence of good public space (that I have seen) is the thing that would probably send me back to the MagMile.

Last edited by BobR; Apr 25, 2015 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:06 pm

Now that have have done some exploring I'll revise my past concerns about common space. The "Lounge" is very nice although it is not stocked yet. Their is a buffett area, tables and in the other section couches and a fireplace. They did have some very good local craft beer on display, fancy bottled water and some wine (I know nothing about wine). It was not clear if it will be complementary or not. It was also not clear if it was a diamond lounge or open to all guests.

I also spotted a very large rooftop deck area. However accessing the roof is not possible.

Part of the business plan appears to be hiring hipster doormen (they are not bad).

The blinds are good, but the adjacent office buildings are -very- close. Their may be some uncomfortable privacy issues for all involved if the blinds are open.

So while they are clearly not all the way open, I do see some potential in the for the hotel to be a pleasant place to stay.

Last edited by BobR; Apr 25, 2015 at 3:11 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
As previously stated, I cancelled another reservation to stay here for their soft opening. I booked C&P into a standard room and was upgraded to one of their suites on request with no charge or DSU. It is a true suite, with pocket door

Loop/financial district location attracts business travelers. Also a good location for leisure travelers in the summertime, due to its proximity to all the weekend activities at Grant Park 3-4 blocks away or if you are in town to see a show or to go to the Art Institute. It is otherwise quiet on the weekend.

The sign in front of the building says Hyatt The Loop since the rebranding to Hyatt Centric occurred after the sign was placed. A new sign is on its way.

Small lobby with Cochon Violant bakery/restaurant/bar attached reminds me of Hyatt Time Square.
6 elevators for 24 floors/ 257 rooms, so would not expect to wait long for one.

HARD PRODUCT:
Large foyer (which would likely be a ½ bath at other hotels.) I think the foyer works well here, but I could see how some may prefer a ½ bath. Beige and gray tones. Minimalist/ Norwegian design. Plush beige carpeting. Living room with good quality, comfortable sofa and chaise and dining table for 2. Pocket doors, closet/ coffee station/empty refrigerator integrated into a seemless, blonde wood wall separating living space from bedroom. Note that the sliding door does not close completely due to baseboard.Very comfortable semi-firm pillow-top bed. Plenty of bedside outlets.
Bathroom: smaller than expected for the size of the suite, with double sink and good use of space. Excellent water pressure. KenetMD toiletry. Since the bathroom is behind the bed, there is adequate privacy despite the lack of a door. Windows: 5 window in bedroom with blinds that are manually closed. No door to bathroom and window in the bathroom does not have blackout (yet?). The furnishing is that of a luxury hotel, but the bathroom and lack of remote control is consistent with a solid 4.5 star hotel.
Decent city view with a peak at the lake from a southeast 16th floor corner suite, but can also look right into the offices next across the street.
Lounge Centric was not open yet. The lounge if for everyone, so I would not expect 2500 points for lounge closure. I image it will be overcrowded and they are considering adding more seating. It’s listed as being open 6:30pm to 11:00pm for light snack and cash bar in evening. May have some light snacks for breakfast.
Small, well equiped gym on 5th floor, but no pool. I did not look at rooftop lounge or meeting space

PARKING:
$65 valet parking
Parking garage @ 181 Monroe using SpotHero: $11/24hr evening and weekend, $23 weekday

The main issue that need to be addressed for Diamonds now: breakfast. I really appreciated that Daniel Lewellin, the Director of Sales, was proactive and reached out to me regarding the Diamond breakfast glitch. No DYKWIA on my part. He was very nice and open to suggestions. He stated that the owners were committed to guest satisfaction. They are now aware that the current Diamond breakfast does not satisfy the T&C and will address them. The restaurant is a third party, so they are still trying to figure out how to handle the breakfast situation for Diamond members. They are working on this since there are many diamond members the upcoming week(s). He said HGP members are expected to earn points for restaurant purchases charged to the room.

How would I rate the downtown Chicago Hyatt hotels for the leisure traveler?

Hyatt Place, PH, MM are all similar in location and access to dining and shopping. I stay at PH and MM during the colder months. I don’t stay at HP since there is little advantage of being a Diamond member.

HR: likely best location in the summer with easy access to Mag Mile, Navy Pier, and Grant Park.
Centric: better in summer due to proximity to Grant Park.

Breakfast: PH > MM > HR > HP. I had dinner, not breakfast, at Centric. Once the Diamond breakfast situation is resolved, I imagine the breakfast at Centric will be comparable to PH.

Hard product: Hyatt Centric =MM > PH (nice but nonsuite rooms a little outdated)>HR

Parking: least expensive around Centric.

Pool:
Yes: PH, MM
No: HR, Centric

I go to Chicago several times a year. Where would I stay: Centric in the summer. PH or MM in colder months based on rates.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by thucanhho; Apr 25, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

very comprehensive review trucanhho!

The suite's bathtub looks uninspired though and a step below luxury hotel. Agree about the lack of automation for blinds and curtains. That shouldn't happen now in the 2015.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:12 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Comprehensive and factual review is very much appreciated!
Originally Posted by thucanhho
I booked C&P into a standard room and was upgraded to one of their suites on request with no charge or DSU.
I'm curious as to how such a request might be effectively worded.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Comprehensive and factual review is very much appreciated!I'm curious as to how such a request might be effectively worded.
They were suppose to open May 1. They opened earlier, unannounced. I happened on it when checking my reservation. Since it was a soft opening, I assumed that the occupancy was very low. I just asked at check in if there was a suite available for upgrade and they gave it.

Mag Mile is one that have been very willing to give suites to Diamonds when available.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
very comprehensive review trucanhho!

The suite's bathtub looks uninspired though and a step below luxury hotel. Agree about the lack of automation for blinds and curtains. That shouldn't happen now in the 2015.
Totally agree. Those were the 2 standouts. However, I think they are aiming at the business rather than luxury crowd, which is smart since they are unlikely to command luxury prices. There is stiff competition in luxury hotels in Chicago. I think Chicago probably has the best collection of luxury hotels in the country (Langham, Waldorf Astoria, Trump, Pennisula, 4Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Park Hyatt) with Langham and WA being #1 on many lists and I have seen many of these hotels with rates in the $200s.

Last edited by thucanhho; Apr 25, 2015 at 10:44 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it more business hotel looking and feeling than MM?

Not a fan of the small table and two chairs. Seems very out of place with a large couch and coffee table in the living area. I'd take a desk instead.

Last edited by Aventine; Apr 25, 2015 at 10:43 pm Reason: added more
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:58 pm

Is it more business hotel looking and feeling than MM?
Does looking right into offices when you are lying in bed count? I never felt that MM was business hotel like. I meant business because of it's location in financial district. It gives me a little of an Andaz Wall Street feel, with a busier than expected bar. Of course, the bathroom at Andaz Wall Street is very stylish.

Not a fan of the small table and two chairs. Seems very out of place with a large couch and coffee table in the living area. I'd take a desk instead.
You're right...did not occur to me that they did not have a desk, since I have never used a desk at a hotel, other than to feed my kids. I personally like the table.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does looking right into offices when you are lying in bed count? I never felt that MM was business hotel like. I meant business because of it's location in financial district. It gives me a little of an Andaz Wall Street feel, with a busier than expected bar. Of course, the bathroom at Andaz Wall Street is very stylish.
yeah there's no way the Loop suite bathroom holds a candle to most Andazs I've been to. I wonder if they'll install privacy film or something because eventually an office worker filming intimate moments or nude snaps is going to end up on the interwebs...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.

You're right...did not occur to me that they did not have a desk, since I have never used a desk at a hotel, other than to feed my kids. I personally like the table.
Would you use your two free nights here or at the PH during the summer - Juneish?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by canon5dfan
Would you use your two free nights here or at the PH during the summer - Juneish?
Neither, I would use it for something more aspirational.

To really answer your question, PH as a Diamond member. PH still for nonDiamond, but maybe Centric for summer if the free lounge for everyone is up and running. The service will be much better at PH and there is a decent pool at PH. standard room at PH slightly outdated.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver, Delta Platinum, AA Platinum Pro
PH comparisons

Am I reading the thread correctly that some people expect this to be close to the level of the Park Hyatt Chicago? Based on the positioning of the brand I would never have made that inference.

The property is somewhat similar in spirit to the Hyatt Herald Square as far as I can tell from photos. I'll know a bit more after my stay there tomorrow night.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by IndyJeffrey
The property is somewhat similar in spirit to the Hyatt Herald Square as far as I can tell from photos. I'll know a bit more after my stay there tomorrow night.
Having stayed at both properties in the past 2 months I would say that is a very apt comparison. The furnishings are quite similar. However all the spaces in the Centric felt _much_ larger than any of the spaces in Herald Square (It may have been possible to fit my whole H Square room into the centric bathroom). Don't read too much into the size difference, I am sure its more about the New York market than a characteristic of the Centric brand.

Last edited by BobR; Apr 28, 2015 at 6:09 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by IndyJeffrey
Am I reading the thread correctly that some people expect this to be close to the level of the Park Hyatt Chicago? Based on the positioning of the brand I would never have made that inference.
No at all. I'm trying to think as a nonDiamond and if some may prefer the

the free snacks and newer furnishings.

Main plus of PH Chicago is are the breakfast and updated suites for Diamond memberes. Otherwise, with the outdated furnishing, the distinction is not so great for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.