FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
V8...so what?

From a closed thread:

Originally Posted by austin_modern
... this is how you get coded as a V8.
I'm not baiting you, but contacting the VP at Hyatt pointing to your rant above and your general demeanor in the post along with articulating prior harassment at SPG is PRECISELY how people get coded V8 or like status at hotels or airlines.
Anyhow. Good luck. I hope you don't get the v8.
And some background on VIP Codes for the uninitiated.

Now then...are there any confirmed V8's out there (especially Diamond V8's) willing to comment on how they have been treated at various properties?

I have no idea what my own status is coded as, but given the amount of standing up I do for myself (i.e. "complaining") and pointing out issues on my blog, I would not be surprised if I have achieved this "honor" for myself. Yet I cannot think of any particularly bad experiences since becoming a Diamond in 2012. I had an excellent stay at the HR Osaka last month, and HGP recently went above and beyond the call of duty to resolve a recent issue with my account.

So my question...is there any proof that being labelled a "V8" actually detrimental to one's experiences dealing with Hyatt?

Last edited by hailstorm; Apr 18, 2015 at 12:05 am
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
why don't you get chummy with the next check in agent and ask them what your VIP code is.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zxsuxr
why don't you get chummy with the next check in agent and ask them what your VIP code is.
It may be possible to do that, but that still wouldn't answer my question.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:43 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It's on the housekeeping master list. Not hard to figure out.

V8 isn't a VIP level in the true sense. It just means the the property will make sure they take a proactive approach to each interaction. Remember not all VIP levels are universal, they can be property specific.

i.e. Front desk will be on guard to make sure they don't give you a reason to complain. Housekeeping will do a very thorough job etc etc.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
It's on the housekeeping master list. Not hard to figure out.

V8 isn't a VIP level in the true sense. It just means the the property will make sure they take a proactive approach to each interaction. Remember not all VIP levels are universal, they can be property specific.

i.e. Front desk will be on guard to make sure they don't give you a reason to complain. Housekeeping will do a very thorough job etc etc.
So...the reason austin_modern is so adamant about staying away from V8 status is to avoid causing additional burden to the housekeeping staff?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:11 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hailstorm
So...the reason austin_modern is so adamant about staying away from V8 status is to avoid causing additional burden to the housekeeping staff?
I can't speak for them... However obviously staff loathe V8s a as they have to walk on eggshells the whole time to avoid another incident.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

So, how many of us are V8 and proud?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
So, how many of us are V8 and proud?
For all I know I could be. I do not complain often or frivolously though, so maybe I am not bad enough to make V8.

As long as hotels treat me well I couldn't care less how they code my profile.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

As long as hotels treat me well I couldn't care less how they code my profile.
If they did that, then there, would be less FT and blog fodder!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I kinda like this Urban Dictionary definition:

V8: a drink no one likes made out of vegetable juice.

Not so different from Hyatt's definition
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I stay at a lot of different Hyatts but check on occasion. I've always been a V3 (Diamond).

The problem, in my mind, is that once you're coded as a V8, properties may document into your records minor issues that do not reflect favorably on you. While I haven't read of Hyatt 'culling the herd' of troublesome HGP members, I wouldn't be surprised for that to occur sometime in the future. There are times where it's more profitable to get rid of a troublesome customer than keep them. If one has a number of documented issues in their records, I would think that would move them to the top of any purging activity.

If one prefers to live their life in a combative mode 24/7, then I guess V8's their desired status. I try to limit my battles to internet forums.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I suspect many properties will try to discourage future stays by, for example, giving a less desirable room.

IME, it's better to be liked by the hotel than not.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:08 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I had a nice chat today with the front desk at the hotel where I stay often. They said V1 is for VIPs such as Courtesy Card Holders. V2 is for meeting planners. Most Diamonds are V3. She occasionally sees V6 (but wasn't completely sure what it means). V8 means that the guest had a problem recently therefore the hotel wants to make absolutely sure that everything is right this time.

I asked, "if someone's a V8 at this hotel, are they a V8 systemwide?". The Front Desk agent did not know the answer.

I asked "Is V8 for people who complain?". The answer was that V8 simply means the guest recently had a problem and therefore the hotel wants to take extra-special care of the guest.

I asked, "what is my V code?". I was stunned to learn that I'm V8. I asked, "what kind of problems have I had recently?". The agent read from the screen: the hotel double-billed me twice this month. Points were posted incorrectly on 4 occasions. Points were completely missing on another occasion. I recently was assigned to a room which smelled like cigarette smoke (in a non-smoking hotel) and asked to switch rooms.

All of the above issues did happen. I did (and still do) consider all of the issues minor. They were all easily corrected. I'm certainly a happy camper.

I should have found out how (and how often) the V code is reviewed and/or adjusted. I'm here for a few days this trip so perhaps I'll get the chance for another chat.

I'll admit it: this particular hotel treats me like a king. I've stayed at this one property for 32 nights so far this year, which doesn't really seem like a lot of nights.

Based on the above information, in my opinion V8 is _not_ a bad code.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:19 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I had a nice chat today with the front desk at the hotel where I stay often. They said V1 is for VIPs such as Courtesy Card Holders. V2 is for meeting planners. Most Diamonds are V3. She occasionally sees V6 (but wasn't completely sure what it means). V8 means that the guest had a problem recently therefore the hotel wants to make absolutely sure that everything is right this time.

I asked, "if someone's a V8 at this hotel, are they a V8 systemwide?". The Front Desk agent did not know the answer.

I asked "Is V8 for people who complain?". The answer was that V8 simply means the guest recently had a problem and therefore the hotel wants to take extra-special care of the guest.

I asked, "what is my V code?". I was stunned to learn that I'm V8. I asked, "what kind of problems have I had recently?". The agent read from the screen: the hotel double-billed me twice this month. Points were posted incorrectly on 4 occasions. Points were completely missing on another occasion. I recently was assigned to a room which smelled like cigarette smoke (in a non-smoking hotel) and asked to switch rooms.

All of the above issues did happen. I did (and still do) consider all of the issues minor. They were all easily corrected. I'm certainly a happy camper.

I should have found out how (and how often) the V code is reviewed and/or adjusted. I'm here for a few days this trip so perhaps I'll get the chance for another chat.

I'll admit it: this particular hotel treats me like a king. I've stayed at this one property for 32 nights so far this year, which doesn't really seem like a lot of nights.

Based on the above information, in my opinion V8 is _not_ a bad code.
Mate, I have defined the V levels based on my experience as a former Hyatt employee not on an interview with a hotel staff member who doesn't know the answers.

No employee is going to tell you that V8 is for difficult guest.

Judging by your constant gaming of the system, checking and in and out on the same day with your wife, demanding double amenities each time you check in and other ludicrous demands of double GP benefits I can guarantee your V8 means difficult guest.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy

I asked, "what is my V code?". I was stunned to learn that I'm V8.
lol, seriously?

I can guarantee that you're the only person who is stunned at this most telling revelation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.