Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Will Hyatt honor a prepaid travel-agency booking when they're showing sold out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Hyatt honor a prepaid travel-agency booking when they're showing sold out?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:01 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Call the hotel to add your diamond number and inform them about your arrival time.

And yes Hyatt provides Diamond amenities on 3rd party rates.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by m0hamed
You could have just asked the property to pull the inventory from that site and offer you the rate, but of course you take this approach.
@:-) This turns over a new rock for me after all these years. Thank you. A great workaround for getting credit. Is there more corroborative experience out there (thank you also, Often1)? Mentally bookmarked.

Last edited by Firewind; Apr 3, 2015 at 8:23 am
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
As it ends up, all is well. The website (skoosh) had a ridiculously low rate for a night when the hotel only had Guaranteed Available Rate. A few days after I booked the deal, skoosh emailed the confirmation number in the hotel's system. I checked with the hotel's front desk and it's all set. This was a new one for me: a room is offered at ultra-cheap pricing when the hotel itself shows sold out.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've seen many situations where hyatt.com has the properies showing no rooms available and yet Priceline NYOP/Hotwire type "opaque" bookings worked to get cheap rooms at the "sold out" Hyatt properties. I've never had a problem on such bookings. And the at-property Hyatt Diamond benefits applied.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've seen many situations where hyatt.com has the properies showing no rooms available and yet Priceline NYOP/Hotwire type "opaque" bookings worked to get cheap rooms at the "sold out" Hyatt properties. I've never had a problem on such bookings. And the at-property Hyatt Diamond benefits applied.
Yes, it's not that uncommon at all. The property sells inventory to re-sellers (Expedia, et al.) based on their inventory management projections. Then the property sells out all the remaining inventory. Yet the re-sellers still have inventory left to sell.

Note I did have a problem once with an Expedia booking at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on these facts. Property was sold out, but Expedia was offering Ali'i Tower room for under $300/night (a good deal during high season). I grabbed it. Then Expedia failed to transmit my booking to the property. HHV got me a room eventually, but it was a close call.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP should avoid arriving late on a day he knows the property will be sold out unless he wants to be walked.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:38 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I booked a room last month through a 3rd party site travel planners?
when Hyatt Palm Sorings was sold out for a tennis tournament that was in town
Booked the very last room
Except the hotel refused to honor it days before arrival
Oddly it was a pay at hotel not prepaid!
And I'm a guest for over 25 years there!
I could have made a stink but every year you have to choose your battles so I agreed to pay the hotel 30 % more than agreed rate
Because the hotel has been generally very good to me in the past I let it slide
Apparently the 3rd party should have never booked the room as it was suppose to be blacked out for the actual date
Crazy! I rarely ever use a third party but even the Diamond guarantee was useless when I tried months in advance
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Strangely I stayed at that same hotel (if you're talking about Grand Champions resort) a few years back. They were sold out and ended up putting us in a very nice suite.

To update others on this thread, I contacted the third party and asked them for the Hotel Confirmation Number. I showed that number to the hotel and we're all set. The hotel is technically "sold out" but I do have a valid reservation. It will be the third night of a three-night stay so I'm not worried about getting walked.

Moral of the story: if the hotel only has Guaranteed Available rates, sometimes it pays to shop the third-party sites. I use a hotelscombined.com. The search is mostly painless and often effective.
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I booked a room last month through a 3rd party site travel planners?
when Hyatt Palm Sorings was sold out for a tennis tournament that was in town
Booked the very last room
Except the hotel refused to honor it days before arrival
Oddly it was a pay at hotel not prepaid!
And I'm a guest for over 25 years there!
I could have made a stink but every year you have to choose your battles so I agreed to pay the hotel 30 % more than agreed rate
Because the hotel has been generally very good to me in the past I let it slide
Apparently the 3rd party should have never booked the room as it was suppose to be blacked out for the actual date
Crazy! I rarely ever use a third party but even the Diamond guarantee was useless when I tried months in advance
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Thanks for advice ... will march myself downstairs in the morning and ask the front desk.
roflmao

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.