Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Loss Of My Elite Rate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
So I just planned out my next trip coming in a couple of weeks that has me in FL, TX and CA. I did this same trip on the same days last year stayed in the same properties. I am gone for 9 days and stay in 5 different Hyatt properties. My cost is up 31%.

Now of course there is more to it than just MER as occupancy, etc plays a role. However that number is now making me rethink my future bookings for the remainder of the year and going forward.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I think we all share the sentiment that not granting stay/night credits for award stays (and not being able to use DSUs either) is not very nice. It very much pushes people to do Points+Cash.

Losing My Elite Rate also hurts. Just like another poster, it has made me become very proficient as filing BRG forms!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The loss of MER is affecting me a little bit. But realistically, Marriott has gutted their Megabonus program (where I'd usually do 8 one-night weekend stays a year and then use up 4 award nights), and IHG has lost their fool minds with their recent promos. Meanwhile, Hilton points are the most devalued out there.

So at the end of the day, an extra $10/night (e.g. $109 instead of $99) just isn't going to sway me more than those other devaluations. What it will do, combined with a glut of points, is have me do more Cat 2 award stays. It'll also stop me from topping off some promos, as the extra $45 to get the last 20k via mattress runs at my favorite closed-weekend-lounge full service Hyatt makes the points marginal at best.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TheTourVan
So I just planned out my next trip coming in a couple of weeks that has me in FL, TX and CA. I did this same trip on the same days last year stayed in the same properties. I am gone for 9 days and stay in 5 different Hyatt properties. My cost is up 31%.
When the recession hit, hotel construction in Calif. and Florida shutdown. Now occupancy is back up and it will take a few years for hotel construction to catch up. Once the owner has the land, it takes a loooong time to get all the red tape out of the way and start building. Prices are up. Way up. The hoteliers stock prices are up for the same reason.

No doubt that losing MER has hurt as well. It's made me start looking at Hilton MVP rates again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.