Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel overbooked and walked to lower class hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

I was booked at $289
Rate for hyatt but they overbooked and sent me go a hotel with$149 rack rate (comped) plus 6000 points. Could they at least put me at a better hotel? Just checking with you all.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by fayewolf
I was booked at $289
Rate for hyatt but they overbooked and sent me go a hotel with$149 rack rate (comped) plus 6000 points. Could they at least put me at a better hotel? Just checking with you all.
It would be helpful if you would provide additional detail, i.e. city, name of Hyatt property and name of hotel that you stayed in.

Also, did Hyatt provide you with transportation to the alternate hotel? Were you given a comp breakfast? If the answers to both of these are yes, I would say you came out OK.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I was booked at $289
They probably could have, but as you have already accepted the offer, it's too late to do anything about it now.

This post talks about IHG's policy, but it's a good starting point for figuring out what you should ask for:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...customers.html
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
I was booked at $289
Were the other "better" hotels in town also sold out? I can assure you that a competitor isn't going to walk one of their own just to satisfy you.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:12 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Hyatt has no official policy on being walked

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ng-walked.html
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Putting aside all that, if I'm reading the OP's message correctly, he got a free night and 6000 points for his trouble.

Assuming the place he got sent to wasn't a total roach motel, I don't think that the result was terribly UNfair.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, the LA traffic .... anyways. I was coming in from Hollywood area, and because I have an early meeting in Thousand oaks, i figured I can stay in TO Hyatt. Got a call when I got off the plane, I didn't have much time to think about what to do or alternatives since I was heading to my meeting in Hollywood. (I thought about asking them to let me stay in Hollywood Andaz, but I'm not sure how traffic would be and i would have to get up way earlier)

This is the Thousand Oaks Hyatt. They put me in Palm Garden Hotel. I'm not trying to sound like a spoiled brat, but I haven't stayed in a hotel like this since college. I'm fairly certain that the hotels in the area was sold out... i couldn't imagine them just walking people to this hotel..it's not exactly motel 6, but.....

I'm sitting in this room and really don't want to be in here.

I called them and asked if there were any alternative around the area and they apologized and said the entire area was sold out. I'm on company expense, so comping me the night isn't an important factor for me.

Would it be possible for me to pay the rack rate and ask them for another form of compensation? I can put this room back with my work credit card. They said they will have the manager call me tomorrow morning.

I'm not trying to be difficult but wondering if there are other ways to resolve this inconvenience.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What, if any, status do you have with Hyatt?

Try to PM the Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I'm fairly certain that the hotels in the area was sold out...

I'm sitting in this room and really don't want to be in here...

Would it be possible for me to pay the rack rate and ask them for another form of compensation?...

I'm not trying to be difficult but wondering if there are other ways to resolve this inconvenience.
It's not at all clear what you want. To be walked to a higher-quality hotel in the area? Impossible if they are sold out. To use this event to pry more compensation out of Hyatt? You've already accepted typically fair compensation for an involuntary change of venue.

Is the "inconvenience" in your mind the chore of staying at a hotel that is not up to your personal standards, or that you believe you have not yet derived maximum personal benefits from the situation (you suggest you'd like to charge your employer for the Hyatt stay you're not getting, then score more points, certs, etc. for yourself)?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
What, if any, status do you have with Hyatt?

Try to PM the Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge.
Platinum, I just did. Perhaps I'll request a different type of compensation.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:59 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my view, $289 is way over what a regular room in this hotel is worth. The area must have been full up for them to get it in the first place.

OP, did you check if other hotels really were full on your own at the time? There's a Four Seasons just one exit away in the direction towards Los Angeles, for example.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:30 am

Platinum, I just did. Perhaps I'll request a different type of compensation.
You can try to negotiate a different type of compensation now, but in the future remember that you are in a better position to negotiate before you accept the hotel's offer to walk you to a property of their choosing. For example, the aforementioned Four Seasons could have been an option considering the relatively high rate you were paying.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. I did check last night and westlake village inn and four season were both full. Hyatt westlake village usually is under $150, and this was booked using the elite guarantee avail rate.

My meeting this morning was at westlake village. The hotel they put me was 10 miles north away. It was a lot of driving this morning. I was planning on doing some work after the meeting in the hotel room, but when I got to the hotel room- no thanks. I rather sit at starbucks.

I will for sure negotiate before I accept the offer next time. Actually when I call them back from the airport, (got the call when i got off plane)- they didn't ask if i can accept the offer, they just told me they have a room available/booked for me at this Palm garden hotel. Lesson learned.

Thank you again for all the advices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.