Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Getting to Diamond Via Stays Versus Nights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Diamond Via Stays Versus Nights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
If you know you can get to 50 nights easily, you probably don't need to worry about hotel hopping just because of a diamond amenity unless it's convenient (e.g. last night at airport hotel) or there's some sort a stay-based promo going on.

As an aside, I think it's unfortunate that Hyatt doesn't count award stays and only gives credit for one room. Achieving Platinum is a lot easier with SPG which gives credit for award bookings and for up to three rooms (so in theory you can get 25 stays in 9 days: 8x3+1).
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rusdude
As an aside, I think it's unfortunate that Hyatt doesn't count award stays and only gives credit for one room. Achieving Platinum is a lot easier with SPG which gives credit for award bookings and for up to three rooms (so in theory you can get 25 stays in 9 days: 8x3+1).

I agree with this and its a big weakness in this program. I would guesstimate at least 10 of my nights each year at Hilton are on points and that is material when you are talking staus. It really bothered me that the few nights of free stays I did at Hyatt is not reflected on my stay history (or even listed as the last place stayed, its like they never happened). To add insult to injury Hyatt has made Cash and Points a royal pain in the ... to use because you have to call up to see if its even available and then book on the phone which is INCREDIBLY inconvenient for someone like myself that is used to whipping thru hotel options/scenarios when booking or looking at potential stays so I never use C&P and that is to Hyatt's detriment when their rates are on the high side because I am not seeing the most appealing option in some some cases and Hyatt loses out to Hilton is EVERY one of those situations because between MVP/Gold Medal rates and its more substantial footprint I will find a more palatable option walletwise.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iherebyresign
I did the hotel hopping once while on a business trip - four nights at four different hyatts. Accounting gave me a few funny looks and questioned why I would do that, but processed reimbursement without any problem. I probably wouldn't do it again unless I was in dire need of stay credit.
IME the correct answer to that is "well I was trying to get the best rate possible for my company, and this was the only way." I've never had that one questioned.

Back to the question at hand, I typically do it on stays. It's much easier to maintain multiple programs that way. Then for Marriott I do it mostly on rewarding events. Right now I'm top tier at SPG, Hyatt, and Marriott and gold with hilton. Best bang for my buck even if it means changing hotels more frequently.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I wouldnt stay getting to 50 nights is easy. Nights is easier this year because I have a 13 night stay coming up at three hotels for an Asia vacation. Probably won't have that in our summer 2016 vacation as we are looking at countries with few/no Hyatts.

Makes sense that doing stays makes it easier to maintain status at more than one program. To make it Hyatt is getting pretty much all of my hotel stays this year.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by sfmom
I wouldnt stay getting to 50 nights is easy. Nights is easier this year because I have a 13 night stay coming up at three hotels for an Asia vacation. Probably won't have that in our summer 2016 vacation as we are looking at countries with few/no Hyatts.

Makes sense that doing stays makes it easier to maintain status at more than one program. To make it Hyatt is getting pretty much all of my hotel stays this year.
If you get the Hyatt credit card, you can get 2stays/5 nights for $20K spend and another 3stays/5nights for an additional $20K spend.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by stargold
If you've had J class travel denied even though it was cheaper than your entitlement for W or Y because "it is company policy", you would realise that such reasoning - even if true - would hold no water whatsoever with those guys
I think the difference is that most companies nowadays have specific policy that spells out Y bookings only for domestic travel. On the other hand, it would be very uncommon for travel policy to cover hotel hopping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.