Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

2-3 Nights in Singapore, apply for Hyatt card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia

I've never signed up for a hotel-based credit card before. I will be staying in Singapore for 2-3 nights (most likely a Sat-Mon night or Sun-Mon night affair) in early February next year. I see the Hyatt card offers 2 free nights after spending $1k in 3 months.

Does this work on a level 5 property though, as is the Grand Hyatt in Singapore? How do I know if the specific nights I want are available for reward redemption though? New to the "hotels" game...

Are there any better cards you'd suggest with a low minimum spend that I can meet quickly in time for early Feb stay? Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:38 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Good Morning,

The two free nights you receive from Chase for signing up and spending the $1000 in the first 3 months can be used at any category hotel. Every year you will be awarded an anniversary award and these can only be used at a category 1-4 hotel.

I would certainly be able to assist you with looking for availability. Please keep in mind that we can check to see if it's available now but in order to book the award you must have the award in your account so it is subject to availability at time of you making the reservations.

Please reach out to us if you need further assistance.

Becky S
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Good Morning,

The two free nights you receive from Chase for signing up and spending the $1000 in the first 3 months can be used at any category hotel. Every year you will be awarded an anniversary award and these can only be used at a category 1-4 hotel.

I would certainly be able to assist you with looking for availability. Please keep in mind that we can check to see if it's available now but in order to book the award you must have the award in your account so it is subject to availability at time of you making the reservations.

Please reach out to us if you need further assistance.

Becky S
Would be 2 or 3 nights sometime between Saturday night Feb 14th to Monday night Feb 16th.

Also if I sign up for the card and meet the minimum spend right away, how "soon" do I get the two bonus nights? Obviously time sensitive since I'd be close to arrival date...thanks
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Unlike points which you only get after statement cut, free nights are awarded about 7-10 days after spend is achieved. It would certainly work for what you are looking for.

We've stayed there a few times, about 3 weeks last year, and enjoy the property. However, think it's worth pointing out that, the redemption isn't that great. Those 2 free nights can be used at much more expensive cat 7 hotels all over the world. Rack rates, or a good corporate rate at the GH SIN are reasonable, and so is a points redemption.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JamieDee78
Would be 2 or 3 nights sometime between Saturday night Feb 14th to Monday night Feb 16th.

Also if I sign up for the card and meet the minimum spend right away, how "soon" do I get the two bonus nights? Obviously time sensitive since I'd be close to arrival date...thanks
Grand Hyatt Singapore for that period is only about $300 USD a night.

If you don't anticipate staying at a more aspirational property throughout 2015 then this is fine, but you'll be kicking yourself if you end up wanting two nights at, say, the Park Hyatt Vendome, later on in the year.

If you get those two free nights, choose wisely their use.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The downside of the two free nights is that they are only good for a year. So I wound up staying at the GH Singapore using them - was going to do the Vendome in Paris (but actually prefer the Westin down the block).

So, yes it is a top value at the Maldives or in Paris, Milan, etc. But the GH Singapore is a great hotel, and the card gives you Platinum status which might parlay into lounge access. So it's a good use, just not close to the maximum value.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I wouldn't apply for a credit card only for goodies to be used during a single long weekend stay. Think instead about whether this is a credit card that you want to carry and use for at least the intermediate term.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I wouldn't apply for a credit card only for goodies to be used during a single long weekend stay. Think instead about whether this is a credit card that you want to carry and use for at least the intermediate term.
Why not? What is the difference to applying for a 100,000 miles signup bonus and using it for a single flight?

That being said, the OP might like the Hyatt Visa but nevertheless...

However I think the Grand Hyatt Singapore is not a great property anymore especially if you don't have status. I would try Priceline or just look at Hotels.com to see what's available. Just had a stay here last month and even though I really liked the hotel a few years ago (Jesus, it's almost 2015!) it became a horribly managed property with bad staff and severe lack of training.

I agree with others above, better to use these nights elsewhere if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.