Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House New Orleans REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:51 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Greetings from Andaz Amsterdam!

Not sure how exciting this news is but
Hyatt House will make its debut in NOLA
Whats interesting is it will be connected by sky bridge to Hyatt Regency New Orleans
They will take an old office building and refurb it to hotel use
It will start on the 11th or 12th floor and go up to the 17 floor
Approx 194 Rooms
Expected to open in 2015

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm not a fan of the Hyatt Regency location, but exciting to see a 4th Hyatt in NOLA, up from 0 five years ago and 1 before the storm.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
I'm not a fan of the Hyatt Regency location, but exciting to see a 4th Hyatt in NOLA, up from 0 five years ago and 1 before the storm.
Agreed!
I'm with you not only not a fan of the location of HR New Orleans
But not a fan of how Diamonds are treated
in the past prior to their renovation they worked harder at satisfying guests and even offered complimentary transportation to the French Quarter
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Great News! I'll make mattress runs much easier
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Great News! I'll make mattress runs much easier
Indeed cheap taxi ride
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by swag
hyatt place, hyatt regency, and french quarter; what is the 4th hyatt in NOLA?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by wilma
hyatt place, hyatt regency, and french quarter; what is the 4th hyatt in NOLA?
The coming-soon Hyatt House which is the subject of this thread.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:41 pm

Any reviews?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
I have stayed here a few times. I have always received good service, including unprompted room upgrades, as a Diamond. The rooms are spacious and modern and have DirecTv. My only complaints about them are that the hotel has a sophisticated thermostat/energy management system and it is hard to get the room very cold and there are a lot of windows and the shades are operated by pull chain which gets a bit tedious. My wife prefers the HH to the HR.

The hotel is connected to the HR by a sky bridge which is completely enclosed/indoors so mattress running is easy as one never even has to step outside. Restaurants at the HR are able to bill charges to your HH room as well. HH guests may also access the HR pool and I believe fitness center at the HR.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by duhe
I have stayed here a few times. I have always received good service, including unprompted room upgrades, as a Diamond. The rooms are spacious and modern and have DirecTv. My only complaints about them are that the hotel has a sophisticated thermostat/energy management system and it is hard to get the room very cold and there are a lot of windows and the shades are operated by pull chain which gets a bit tedious. My wife prefers the HH to the HR.

The hotel is connected to the HR by a sky bridge which is completely enclosed/indoors so mattress running is easy as one never even has to step outside. Restaurants at the HR are able to bill charges to your HH room as well. HH guests may also access the HR pool and I believe fitness center at the HR.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer.
Thanks for the review! Do you know what's the most convenient way to reach MSY from the hotel?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
You can easily catch a taxi by walking over to the HR and going to the cab stand. Fares to the airport are a set rate for up to two people, and a per person rate for three or more.

You could also catch an Uber from outside of the HH.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Stayed here for a night after our stay at the HR New Orleans. It's a pretty standard HH, but the bonus is that it's literally attached to the HR. Just walk over the skybridge on the 2nd floor of the HR and then take the elevator to the 11th floor of the HH where the lobby is. You can also enter directly off of Poydras St. as we discovered, but you still have to take the elevator up 11 floors.

Was upgraded as a Diamond to a Studio Suite, which was nice. I don't stay at very many HH's at all, so I couldn't really tell the difference between this and a standard room, but it did have a kitchen table setup and felt bigger. No soap or any amenities were in the room (is this standard for HH?) but a quick call to the front desk, and a huge bag of them was delivered.

Did not try the breakfast as it looked to be standard HP/HH fare, and I figured why eat there on our last morning in New Orleans when Cochon Butcher was within walking distance of the hotel.

Overall, a nice, enjoyable stay but nothing like the HR next door. Others complain about the location of the HR/HH, but I love it - would much rather be away from the craziness of Bourbon Street, and the Loyola streetcar (which now goes down Rampart towards the FQ) stops literally right outside.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I stayed at the Hyatt House New Orleans/Downtown in July. I have to say it was a superb Hyatt House altogether. The good things:
1. One of most affordable hotels in downtown New Orleans.
2. I found the staff absolutely pleasant.
3. I really liked the new thermostats! Someone complained above (and I see others complained about this at another site), but I had no problem getting my room cold, I really liked being able to set the fan and the temperature independently, and it remembered my preferences (the first night at 9PM, I set it for 68 and the fan on high, and at 9 PM everynight thereafter, it would automatically set at 68/fan high).
4. They upgraded me from my standard lowest tier King room to a high floor preferred view king (with Discoverist status).
5. The breakfast area is sufficiently large and well-maintained.
6. There are two fitness centers that are super convenient (on floors 16 and 15 I think). I was on floor 16 and it was really convenient to walk down the hall to the fitness center. I think this was a good model -- I dislike riding up and down elevators, crossing lobbies, etc. when I am in my workout clothes. The fitness centers were tiny, but I never had anyone else in there with me.
7. The Regency bars and restaurants were nice and easily accessed.

The downsides.
1. If you care to swim, it is a bit of an effort to get to the Regency's pool.
2. If you need parking, the valet gets 'full' often and can't be relied upon.
3. The valet rates are bit high, and the park-it yourself option leaves you paying high rates as well (the costs of parking in new orleans all over is high -- it seems about double the cost of most major US cities). My only Hyatt House specific complaint on the parking costs is that the garage next door where you can park yourself has no in/out privileges. Thus, leaving results in an extra $25 dollars because of the flat 12-24 hour rate applied (and this 25 dollar rate was a promotional new-garage opening rate, I imagine before long it will be closer to the 30-40 dollars a day that other downtown NOLA garages charge).
4. The bar atmosphere at the Hyatt House is really kind of sterile for enjoying a pre-going out drink or a nightcap (though, the bar tender was great).

The meh's.
1. Some people complain about the elevator system. There is 1 elevator to go from the entrance of the building to the lobby, and then a separate bank to get to the rooms. I didn't find it at all bad, but I got tired of other guests making comments and mild complaints about it.
2. The location may not be ideal. I rather liked the location from the standpoint that you get away from the noise, smells and crowds of canal street and bourbon street. Last night I was in New Orleans, I stayed at the Astor (I think) at Canal and Bourbon and it was frustratingly loud all night. The noise levels at the Hyatt House were very quiet. The meh about the location is that there are are a few decent eateries nearby, but generally, you have to walk a ways to get to downtown eateries and a bit farther to get to the french quarter. Getting a taxi or pedicab from bourbon street back though was quick and affordable for when I didn't want to walk the mile.

Anyways, it was pleasant enough that I am returning in December when I have a conference in New Orleans (and it is 30% cheaper than other hotel during those dates). The Convention Center is a good walk away, but maybe that would give an introvert like me some space from running constantly into colleagues.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I had another great stay here last week.

1. Was upgraded from the base King to a King Studio Suite --- this doesn't mean much -- it does provide a room about 4 feet wider, a sofa bed with a pullout, and a kitchen area off the door, none of which I used. This was with explorist status (the stay earned me my CC-based globalite). Still, the property seems to recognize WoH status, even if it is a HH, and that is always a good thing.

2. Last time I was there (post just above), I had a food/drink charge at the HR next door, and a food/drink charge at the HH. My 'base points' and 'eligible spent' seemingly was calculated only when the food (but not drink/tip/tax) from HH was included, but the entire bill (alcohol, tax, tip, food) from the HR was included. Well, this time, I ate often at the HR restaurants (which were quite good -- except for the fact that at Vitascope, they wouldn't ring up my 'house wine' during happy hour at happy hour prices until/unless I told them I was there for happy hour, and they didn't even show me a happy hour bar bites menu until the third time I was there. Not sure if they are trained to keep happy hour a secret or what, but I hate having to ask for happy hour). Anyways, Sure enough, my entire BILL (food, alcohol, tax, and tip) form the HR restaurants each time posted 100% as eligible charges with full base-points and bonuses. Getting 14 points per dollar (base, double pt promo, expl bonus, and cc pts) on the full bill was rather nice. My drink from the HH though did not earn any pts. For some reason, the Starbucks employee (at the HR) told me she couldn't charge to rooms at the HH, but could to the HR (though the other restaurants had no problems with it). I have to think that it is a glitch that you earn full-bill base points from the HR when you post it to the HH, so I hate to put the information out here lest they catch on and fix it.

3. I stayed at 135 a night, which was 50 cheaper than the HR and 100 cheaper than the HP/HC that week. Looking forward though, it seems they are priced very similarly to HR (oftentimes more expensively), so maybe my string of scoring a comparatively cheaper rates here is over.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:37 am

I'll be staying here in a few weeks while in town for a wedding. I've read reviews which mention this is essentially an office building, and when you enter HH from street level, you to take an elevator to the 11th floor which is the lobby. My question is, is there a security guard at the street level enterance? I'm a solo female traveler. Presumably I'll be coming back to the hotel pretty late at night after the wedding, and I'm a little nervous about entering a empty office lobby and getting on an elevator by myself late at night in order to get to the hotel lobby.
I know that HH is connected to the Hyatt Regency via skybridge. I was wondering if it might be better for me to enter through the HR lobby (on Loyola) and get to the HH that way instead. Any advice from folks who've been there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.