Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt in NYC---Again

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hyatt in NYC---Again

Hey all, I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I am down to the wire and wanted to see how folks responded to a quick poll.

Staying in NYC this Friday night with my 8 year old who likes all the things that typical 8 year olds love. My options are $175 at 48Lex, $238 at Times Square (my Elite Rate booked a few weeks back--now it's in the $300s) $240 at the Grand or $259 at Union Square.

My inclination is to bail on the TS reservation and book the cheaper room at 48Lex. Location for us is not as good though. What do you all think?

I really appreciate your advise.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dcislander
Hey all, I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I am down to the wire and wanted to see how folks responded to a quick poll.

Staying in NYC this Friday night with my 8 year old who likes all the things that typical 8 year olds love. My options are $175 at 48Lex, $238 at Times Square (my Elite Rate booked a few weeks back--now it's in the $300s) $240 at the Grand or $259 at Union Square.

My inclination is to bail on the TS reservation and book the cheaper room at 48Lex. Location for us is not as good though. What do you all think?

I really appreciate your advise.
I personally do everything possible to avoid Times Square. I had good stay earlier this year at 48Lex and the location was perfect for me as I was visiting family, but there is not much in the way of touristic value around there except for the UN and I doubt that would pique your 8 year old's interest. I'd probably book whatever is closest to the attractions you want to see to be honest, particularly for a short stay.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Agree. TS is a Charlie Foxtrot. Lex is so much cheaper--may just stay there and invest the savings into a trip to the Lego store.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Price difference can't be beat. Even if the location's bad for you, you can take at least 6 cabs off the savings. 48 Lex is my second-least favorite Hyatt in NY (just above the HP and below both Andaz's, Union Square, GH), and I'd still choose it given the prices above.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Huh. In the last hour the price went up to 208. He who snoozes loses.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:58 am

Agree. TS is a Charlie Foxtrot. Lex is so much cheaper--may just stay there and invest the savings into a trip to the Lego store.
What happened to TS? I found that my stays there were pretty good when they first opened.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Nada. I meant the area in general. It's such a circus these days. Hotel is great though.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I love the TS property. I don't mind the area, you can always go around it. An 8 year old will love the lights.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

US just dropped their Elite rate to be even with TS. Now deciding between the 2.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
If cost is the issues keep in mind no matter what Hyatt you choose you can get almost anywhere in Manhattan in a matter of minutes via the subway... kids find the experience exciting.

As a frequent visitor to Manhattan, I think an 8 year old would be excited to stay in the Time Square Area, even though I despise the neighborhood, the lights, the energy and yes the crowds are overwhelming. Many of the rooms at the Hyatt TS have views of the lights, high floor facing south.

But if your kid is not into crowds, avoid the area.

PLEASE NOTE: They are renovating the pedestrian areas in Time Sq., large areas are closed off which at times make it nearly impossible to walk around.

Union Square is a great neighborhood.

US just dropped their Elite rate to be even with TS. Now deciding between the 2.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

My brothers lives down near US which was why we wanted to be downtown but ultimately I stuck with the TS Hyatt. Good location to keep a kid entertained and convenient to Penn St. Maybe we'll get lucky with a Diamond room upgrade.

Thanks to all for the advise.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
My brothers lives down near US which was why we wanted to be downtown but ultimately I stuck with the TS Hyatt. Good location to keep a kid entertained and convenient to Penn St. Maybe we'll get lucky with a Diamond room upgrade.

Thanks to all for the advise.
I enjoyed my stays at this hotel. Friendly staff. Despite being a stone's throw from TS, the windows are excellent in noise abatement. Definitely a wonderworld for children and close walk to many things the city has to offer.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Hyatt 48 Lex at that price is a steal. I normally pay $450 for that during the week...

Andaz Wall Street is my second choice.

PH is sweet I bet, but looks like it is going to be pricey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.