Wiki Posts
Search

Wife arriving ahead of me?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

I am going to stay at GH Dubai, however my wife is arriving 3 hours ahead of me. As we have "never done it before", will my wife have any problems with check in considering the reservation is under my name? Will there be any problems to get credits for this stay later on?
Old May 8, 2014, 5:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Best to email them directly and ask / request that your wife will be checking in first..i'm sure they will understand.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist

All you have to do is call reservations and add her name to the reservation. We do it all the time.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Second that, better safe than sorry to call and add. I've had a very isolated incident where (at all locations, a hyatt place) they declined to check my spouse in early, so I always make sure now.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Ok great, thanks for suggestions. Will contact the hotel and inform accordingly.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I have done this a few times at Hyatts. As long as her name is also in the reservation, there should be no problem.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
On another note, can I book a room for my wife and friends but points and stay credits to my account if I can't be there to check in and out?
Old May 9, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SS255
I have done this a few times at Hyatts. As long as her name is also in the reservation, there should be no problem.
I didn't see an ability to provide 2nd guest information online.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by stiwi
I didn't see an ability to provide 2nd guest information online.
You have to CALL reservations.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by gummibar
On another note, can I book a room for my wife and friends but points and stay credits to my account if I can't be there to check in and out?
If the wife can check-in and there is no real requirement to check-out (let alone you being the one required to check-out), I would assume yes? How else would they know whether you were/weren't there?
Old May 9, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Gunner14 is right. I do this all the time with my wife.

If she is traveling by herself, I merely add her to the reservation as being authorized to check-in and, in our experience, there has never been a problem earning points, etc.

The primary reason that we do this is so that she can get complimentary suite/club upgrades when I am not traveling with her (she is not Diamond).

The last time we did this a few months ago, she was meeting a group of her girlfriends in San Francisco, and they snagged a huge double-suite complimentary upgrade. Needless to say, they were all very pleased.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:42 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Technically according to the T&Cs, no you won't but in practice it's YMMV.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:09 pm

It really is best not to flaunt breaking the T&C of the program....
Old May 9, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by flytoeat
It really is best not to flaunt breaking the T&C of the program....
Who is recommending flaunting violation of the T+Cs?

These actions must be handled with discretion and a good cover story, e.g. "My husband's flight was cancelled and he is going to be a day late." I hope that no one interpreted my comments to mean that you can blatantly admit what you are doing to the check-in staff.

Once you are checked-in, you will likely never have to interact with any desk staff again, so that is the only real hurdle that you need to get over.
Old May 11, 2014, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stiwi
we have "never done it before"
Oh, not arriving at the hotel at the same time....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.