Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Sedan Service Tipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive

What do people that use this service normally tip?

Obviously above and beyond the price of a normal cab and tip but how much above and beyond?

For a $10 cab ride maybe $20 in the sedan?
How about a 5 minute ride (15 min walk) that would only be $5.00 plus tip? Still $20?

I'm thinking $20 is the minimum but just curious.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
What are you talking about?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I usually tip $5 unless I'm with a large group of people or have an unusual request (like stopping by a store or something). I look at it as a service the hotel provides for free and then I tip a little extra.

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I don't agree with your statement regarding obviously tipping more than the cab fare. When the hotel presses two shirts for free, I wouldn't tip the delivery person the regular cost of pressing two shirts plus an additional tip. If I did, basically all the complimentary services a hotel provides wouldn't be complimentary at all.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I used to work a Front Desk Agent and Chauffeur for a business hotel that had a complimentary car service and was never tipped that much for a short drive. Considering most of our guests were business travelers, I was never tipped much since they weren’t reimbursed for it. At most, I might have gotten $5 for a twenty-minute drive.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:54 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
You are welcome to tip as much as you'd like, but tipping above and beyond the cost of cab for a complimentary car service certainly is not the norm, or expected. As previously mentioned, if this were the case, then it would defeat the purpose of offering such a service as there would be no added value in it.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO in most USA locations, either $5 or 20% of estimated cab fare but not less than a couple dollars would seem reasonable for standard service, more of course if you take the hotel's car service for multiple stops, have the driver wait for you, or the driver helps with luggage or packages.

There are some countries where tipping is not appropriate and not expected. I probably would not tip if the hotel charges a flat 10-15% service charge on room rates (and everything else).

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 25, 2014 at 11:14 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Thanks everyone and glad I asked. Appears my logic was flawed.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:40 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO in most USA locations, either $5 or 20% of estimated cab fare but not less than a couple dollars would seem reasonable for standard service, more of course if you take the hotel's car service for multiple stops, have the driver wait for you, or the driver helps with luggage or packages.

There are some countries where tipping is not appropriate and not expected. I probably would not tip if the hotel charges a flat 10-15% service charges on room rates (and everything else).
+1 - usually about $5 unless it's a long ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.