Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Valet Parking Tipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:53 am
LTH
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
Valet Parking Tipping

What's the general rule here? Do people usually tip? If so, how much? I stay at the same hotel every week, so if I had to tip when they pull up / take back my car everyday, it seems excessive... Just want to see what others do.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You tip when the car is returned to you, although if you're a regular and your schedule is such that the folks that take the car when you arrive always lose out, I would sometimes give them a nice tip too.

How much depends on the location/region, class of hotel, etc. as well as whether the service is good. I tip more in bad weather, especially if snow and ice were removed from the vehicle. A few places might clean the windshield or even wash the car for you (or otherwise go above and beyond), which should be rewarded.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:04 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

My general practice is no tip when dropping off the car and $2 when the car is brought to you - what MSP posted does make sense though if you're a regular or additional services were given (I would expect the car to be reasonably clear of snow and ice nonetheless though since that is part of regular service and you'd expect valet to be covered parking).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:15 am

I tip both directions, $3 in suburban/low-cost places and $5 in bigger cities. I've never understaood the idea of tipping only when you get your car back. When you're dropping it off is when your car is "vulnerable".
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Avis Presidents, SWA Rapid Rewards A-List
$2 minimum both drop-off and pick-up. We really benefit from having the valet guys watch our back.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I tip both directions as well. I feel guilty tipping on one end, so I reward both drop off and pick up for excellent service.

I'll select self parking if given the choice.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I guess I am cheap. I tip only on pick up. I am not going to tip the guy and then find out he bounced it off every wall in the parking garage later.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Maybe I'm not following - this is just for tipping at Hyatt's?

And are we talking places that have "free" valet - or you are tipping on top of a valet parking charge?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I guess I am cheap. I tip only on pick up. I am not going to tip the guy and then find out he bounced it off every wall in the parking garage later.
Or maybe if you don't tip, he bounces it off a wall !

I do $2 at drop off and same on pickup. At a few high dollar locations, I make it $5.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Tip in both directions $5.
If I end up waiting for the car for a long period of time $2.
FYI: It's custom to tip whether it's free or paid valet.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
My general practice is no tip when dropping off the car and $2 when the car is brought to you - what MSP posted does make sense though if you're a regular or additional services were given (I would expect the car to be reasonably clear of snow and ice nonetheless though since that is part of regular service and you'd expect valet to be covered parking).
General rule from self-made millionaires is to always tip BEFORE service is rendered. T (To) I (Insure) P (Promptness).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
That's why you tip in the first place.

In Mexico, you better tip before you give ANYONE your car. Don't learn the hard way.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:36 pm

I find it interesting how there is a lack of awareness about how to properly engage a valet service.

First, if you have a manual transmission car - forget about it. Park it yourself (unless you don't care if somebody burns the hell out of that clutch) because so many valets do not have this skill.

Second, be prepared to hand over the one key necessary to operate the car. You don't hand over your entire key ring. Do a search on Twitter for the word "valet" on any weekend night and you will find that it is not unusual for a valet service to lose keys! It happens.

So hand over just one key. And keep a spare key with you!

Valet workers are poorly paid. Some make a wage of less than $3 per hour, even at the fanciest places.

Tipping at the beginning isn't just a nice thing to do. It also sends a message, which is "I am taking care of you. Now you take care of me. Park it in a good safe spot with a lot of room around it."

You cannot undo the lack of care and diligence your car receives when you only tip at the end... unless you have an existing relationship with the valets.

Tipping at the beginning is smart.

Don't leave valuables in the car. No phones. No loose coins. Nothing. Why? Well, some valets are dishonest. But the more likely scenario is the valet forgeting to lock the car or roll-up the windows, and then somebody with a tendency for theft walks by and sees opportunity. It happens a lot.

I very highly recommend you take the additional step of documenting the car's pre-existing damage using a form like this: www.valetforms.com

Make them fill it out and initial it. Review the damage they found with them. This step positions you for compensation if they damage your car. It provides the proof you need to hold them accountable for new damage. And it spurs them into treating your car differently (with much more care and respect).

When the car is returned to you, you pause and look for new damage. Nearly all valet customers fail to do this. They trust that the valet people will be flawless. They trust that if damage was done, the valet company will step forward and accept liability.

Big mistake!

They are scoundrels when it comes to avoiding damage claims.

It is up to you to spot the damage BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

After you drive away, your leverage is drastically weaker.

So you verify that you have no new damage upon receiving the car back.

If everything is okay, it would be good of you to hand out a gratuity.

I recommend giving the bulk of the tip at the beginning, in order to influence the level of care. And then paying a departure tip.

If you tip weakly or not at all, then you are contributing to the high turnover of the valet industry.

When experienced valets leave, rookies take their place. And rookies are more likely to cause damage and lose keys.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Thanks @ideamaned
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would add that the "contract" printed on your receipt or posted on a sign, which usually states that the valet company or hotel is not responsible for any damage ever, is generally not enforceable, so don't believe it if the valet has caused damage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.