Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[MGM] Excalibur Las Vegas REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

First, prior to making any reservations, enroll in Mlife. Once enrolled in Mlife and have activated your online account, you can make reservations at Mlife.com, which should offer you the lowest rates. I was able to get a 20% discount off of the regular room rate on Mlife once I logged in to my account.

Second, make sure you've got your Plat or Diamond status matched to Mlife.
I strongly encourage every HGP platinum and diamond to take advantage of the Mlife status match prior to checking in to any Mlife hotel. You will be status matched to Mlife Gold (HGP Platinum) or Platinum (HGP Diamond) which will allow you to check in to the hotel in the VIP line - a HUGE timesaver.
If you haven't status matched prior to arriving in Vegas, your first stop should be the Mlife desk for the status match. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR HYATT CARD. They will want to physically see your Hyatt card. If you are a member (not Platinum or Diamond), they will only give you sapphire, their lowest level.

Third, room rates. Weekends and special events days are much higher than weekdays. Weekday rates are great for mattress runs.

Check-in. There is a separate VIP check in area to the right side of the check-in lines. I think that Mlife Pearl and higher can use the VIP check-in.

Resort Fees: $15 plus tax as of today; always subject to change. There was no suggestion of them waiving that fee, nor did I ask. My room rate was already very cheap so I wasn't going to waste any time or energy trying to get it waived.

Rooms: I booked a tower room queen (cheapest rate) and was upgraded to a Contemporary Tower Room King. Nice room; no issues and had a great view of the strip. I recommend high floor, low room number ( the lower the room number, the closer you will be to the strip for a view).

Gambling: Watch out for blackjack tables that pay 6/5 on blackjacks. They've also got tables that pay 3/2 with the same rules.

Final note: This is a great property for a mattress run. My room cost was $44.58 all in ($24.80 room rate). We also had rooms at the Luxor, which is another excellent mattress run choice. You could bounce between the two hotels for several night/stay credits.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:55 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Hints for fellow Hyatt Diamonds:

CHECK IN - go past the throngs of people at the main hotel checkin and into the separate "VIP Check in" room

VIP LOUNGE - clear on the other side of the hotel, near the very back corner, near Starbucks

INTERNET - total crap. Wi-fi is completely useless. They have one wired RJ-45 cable in the room. If I use my cell phone as a portable wi-fi hotspot, it's faster (according to speedtest.net) than their wired internet.

Convenience / hassle-factor - everything about this hotel seems to add hassle and annoyance. Long walks to everywhere, poor signage, always have to go up and down short staircases with luggage, hawkers trying to get you to buy timeshares, crowded lifts, etc.

Okay, let's admit, it's Saturday night which means peak time in Vegas. Let's also admit that Excalibur is the very lowest property in mLife's food chain. I've stayed at worse places, that's a solid fact. But I can guarantee you that next time I hit Vegas I shall spend whatever premium it takes to get out of the Excalibur category and into a property which rates a notch or two higher. NYNY is only about $20 more per night. It's $20 well spent.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Hints for fellow Hyatt Diamonds:

CHECK IN - go past the throngs of people at the main hotel checkin and into the separate "VIP Check in" room

VIP LOUNGE - clear on the other side of the hotel, near the very back corner, near Starbucks

INTERNET - total crap. Wi-fi is completely useless. They have one wired RJ-45 cable in the room. If I use my cell phone as a portable wi-fi hotspot, it's faster (according to speedtest.net) than their wired internet.

Convenience / hassle-factor - everything about this hotel seems to add hassle and annoyance. Long walks to everywhere, poor signage, always have to go up and down short staircases with luggage, hawkers trying to get you to buy timeshares, crowded lifts, etc.

Okay, let's admit, it's Saturday night which means peak time in Vegas. Let's also admit that Excalibur is the very lowest property in mLife's food chain. I've stayed at worse places, that's a solid fact. But I can guarantee you that next time I hit Vegas I shall spend whatever premium it takes to get out of the Excalibur category and into a property which rates a notch or two higher. NYNY is only about $20 more per night. It's $20 well spent.
Thanks for the review... LUXOR is a decent option.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:12 am

Personally, I would not stay at the Excalibur. I have never stayed there, but the area is a bit questionable. There are plenty of drug dealers offering up their products on the walkway overpass.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:22 am

The Excalibur stinks - plain and simple. My university dorm had more charm (and significantly better food).

...but for $40 a night all in, I will be back.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Yeah,,, I had one "stay" last week. Luxor is much nicer-with a much nicer staff.
Monte Carlo might be a few $$$ but it is actually a decent place.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by YYZC2
The Excalibur stinks - plain and simple. My university dorm had more charm (and significantly better food).

...but for $40 a night all in, I will be back.
I agree. At that rate, I'll also check in when I'm staying at the Mandarin.

For one night when I'm traveling by myself, it's OK. OTOH, I wouldn't check in with my wife.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:09 am

nights at Excalibur and luxor do or do not count towards elite stay/nights with hyatt?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Szamboti
nights at Excalibur and luxor do or do not count towards elite stay/nights with hyatt?
They Do, ......but remember there is a $20+tax resort fee added... Figure this in when comparing rates...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Stayed at the Excalibur for several weeknights in October. Booked cheapest room and got upgraded to Contemporary Tower Room King, as well. I even slipped the girl a $20 to try to get an extra nice room, but she slipped it back and said they didn't have anything available.

Excalibur is.. okay. Just set your expectations really low and you won't be disappointed. Expect motel quality rooms. If you really care about the room quality, just get a room at the Monte Carlo which is MUCH nicer (for not much more $$) and a better location on the strip.

Don't forget there is an Mlife platinum lounge with free snacks. Technically you're supposed to be platinum or higher (which I am), but no one ever asks to see my card. YMMV. They have free soda, coffee, and chips. Nothing great, but if you need a quick snack it's not so bad.

When you check in make SURE your hyatt gold passport # is assigned to the room.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I stayed last night. Booked the cheapest room and was upgraded to contemporary room (like updated 15 years ago instead of 20). I used vip check-in which shaved a few minutes off of waiting. Front desk gal was very nice and had no problem putting in my GP #.

Room was fine, clean, certainly nothing special. I did turn on the bathroom lights, turn them off, and then found that they would not turn back on. It was late and I didn't really care so I didn't bring it up, but I can imagine that might be a complaint.

At check-out I asked the FD agent to confirm he had my GP #. He said yes so we'll see if the points post.

I'll be back - at $21.75/night the price is right and it's also a great location across from the drop off for the WAX airport bus. Perfect for my cheapo Vegas trips!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I stayed last night. Booked the cheapest room and was upgraded to contemporary room (like updated 15 years ago instead of 20). I used vip check-in which shaved a few minutes off of waiting. Front desk gal was very nice and had no problem putting in my GP #.

Room was fine, clean, certainly nothing special. I did turn on the bathroom lights, turn them off, and then found that they would not turn back on. It was late and I didn't really care so I didn't bring it up, but I can imagine that might be a complaint.

At check-out I asked the FD agent to confirm he had my GP #. He said yes so we'll see if the points post.

I'll be back - at $21.75/night the price is right and it's also a great location across from the drop off for the WAX airport bus. Perfect for my cheapo Vegas trips!
Add resort fee to get the actual price before tax.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
JackE you're right add $18 for the resort fee. I get up to $10 resort fee reimbursed per stay through my feecation subscription so to me its really like an extra $8.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by erika33
Personally, I would not stay at the Excalibur. I have never stayed there, but the area is a bit questionable. There are plenty of drug dealers offering up their products on the walkway overpass.
That must vary because I didn't see even one on my stay there.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
I agree with erika33. But, in Excalibur's defense, there were uniformed security in the areas I would say need extra security.....

For 42$ all in, taxes, resort fee, room cost.......use a coupon on a food option in the coupon book, grab a night sleep. Excellent place for a mattress run.......I'll get to 50k miles on the "endless possibilities promo". In all ill probably have 5 separate stays at around $215 for 5 nights....

Last edited by antinseattle; Feb 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.