Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Siem Reap REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Siem Reap REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by price123
Didn't stay in Raffles, but if you like to be in the middle of things or want somewhere recent renovated, go for the Hyatt. Apparently the last 5* property to be renovated prior to the Park Hyatt was Hotel de la Paix 9(?) years previously.
And, to be clear, the Hotel de la Paix has since been rebranded as the Park Hyatt Siem Reap.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by janddouglas

One key recommendation for arrival - make sure you sit at the front of the plane if you are buying the visa on arrival - $20, plus $1 if you forget a photo for the visa. It's quite a slow process , so if you are in row > 30 expect a long wait!
This is a great point. I highly suggest getting the Visa online in advance; there were very long lines for Visa on arrival. We just skipped by them.

In terms of the rest of the post, $50 is quite high. Le Meridien includes airport pickup for free if you book directly through them, and dropoff was, I think, $18. Pickup was good, including a sign with our name on it, an SUV, bottles of water, and cool scented towels.

We opted for a car over a tuk tuk. I suppose that may depend on how much time you've spent in Tuk Tuks. If it'll be a novelty, by all means, go for it. We've spent a lot of time in them in Thailand, though. For us, the combination of air conditioning and greater speed visiting the farther temples was worth the extra price.

While I'm sure it's nice seeing the temples from the Tuk Tuk, you'll be getting out and touring them anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reisen
We opted for a car over a tuk tuk.
Good choice- a car is a lot more comfortable and quiet than a tuk tuk.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
We had no queue for visa but were first off the plane. Taxis are easy. Go to the taxi desk near the exit, pay your $7 and you get an ok car and driver. They try to persuade you to use them as a guide/driver during your stay but no real pressure.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by rfrost
Has anyone stayed at both the PH and the Raffles in Siem Reap? IU'm trying to decide between the two...
In a few weeks time I'll have been to the PH and will let you know.

Originally Posted by price123
Didn't stay in Raffles, but if you like to be in the middle of things or want somewhere recent renovated, go for the Hyatt. Apparently the last 5* property to be renovated prior to the Park Hyatt was Hotel de la Paix 9(?) years previously.
As was said, the PH took over from the Hotel de la Paix.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janddouglas
We stayed at the Raffles in Pnomh Penh after the PH, which I assume is along similar lines to the one in Siem Reap. No comparison - PH is so much better, so long as you like your hotels modern. If you are after the colonial look - Raffles is your brand.
I thought the rooms in the REP Raffles were nicer than those in the PNH Raffles, at least from the Landmark rooms. I've never seen the PNH State rooms and the REP State rooms are pathetic for the price.

Can't make a comparison to the REP PH yet but will be there in mid Jan.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
In a few weeks time I'll have been to the PH and will let you know.

I await your comparison eagerly! Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rfrost
I await your comparison eagerly! Thanks.
OK, here's my thoughts.

It's been three years since my last stay at REP Raffles and i don't have experience with the entry level rooms at the REP PH but based upon my suites experience I must say the PH is heads and tails above the Raffles.

Staff, building, facilities were a solid notch above the Raffles though I preferred the Raffles' breakfast. The PH had a minimalist buffet setup where anything/everything could be ordered. It was odd asking for a second strip of bacon if I spaced it on the initial order... and 1 midget hockey puck of hash browns wasn't to my liking. Also they salted/peppered eggs as default and twice I had to send them back, the first time because I didn't know and the final morning because I hadn't yet had coffee and was dealing with a few other issues (not hotel related).

We were in the standard suites for a couple of nights and then I was offered a chance at the Presidential Suite for the final night which was absurdly ginormous at 248 sq m. Thankfully I had a number of family in town to hang out with for cocktails in the dining room.

No lounge is a bit of a bummer but I found the overall experience superior to anything I've experienced at REP Raffles, La Residence, Victoria etc.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:50 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I'm planning a visit to Siem Reap in Sept, and debating on what property. In my party there are 5 of us, so we would need to get 2 rooms (3 adults, 2 adults) or figure out something else. The PH seems to be nice and P+C does make it worthwhile, but in comparison a 5* hotel costs for 3 nights the same as the PH does for 1 night.

Any other similar hotels like the PH in REP? Is the PH worth the points+cash?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
It all depends on your budget.

Thanks to Accor promotions, I stayed in the prestige suite of the Sofitel for roughly 270$ a night and was very happy about it. It's about 950 sq. ft. and very comfy. The bathroom isn't impressive though but still ok.

If you have lots of points I would opt for a suite with points + cash at the PH.
If you're drowning in cash, book at the Amansara. The Raffles doesn't make it for me, I didn't like the staterooms and the cabana are not worth what you would pay.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
It all depends on your budget.

Thanks to Accor promotions, I stayed in the prestige suite of the Sofitel for roughly 270$ a night and was very happy about it. It's about 950 sq. ft. and very comfy. The bathroom isn't impressive though but still ok.

If you have lots of points I would opt for a suite with points + cash at the PH.
If you're drowning in cash, book at the Amansara. The Raffles doesn't make it for me, I didn't like the staterooms and the cabana are not worth what you would pay.
Thanks. Ill take a look at the sofitel but might stick with the PH.
How is the PH in arranging tours of the area? Are their prices comparable to others?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
I'm not high on the Raffles either but La Residence is a great hotel with a reasonable price point.

The sofitel and Le Meridien are other considerations but annoyingly far from town when you're looking for food.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason8612
Thanks. Ill take a look at the sofitel but might stick with the PH.
How is the PH in arranging tours of the area? Are their prices comparable to others?
What kind of tours are you looking to do?

You'll probably wind up paying 3x (if not more) the going rate for anything you book through a hotel rather than arrange it yourself....
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
What kind of tours are you looking to do?

You'll probably wind up paying 3x (if not more) the going rate for anything you book through a hotel rather than arrange it yourself....
Hmm that's what I figured.
Well, we were never in REP, so probably the usual tourist stuff - temples and surrounding areas.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by jason8612
Hmm that's what I figured.
Well, we were never in REP, so probably the usual tourist stuff - temples and surrounding areas.
Just hire a yuk-tuk. Tour guide provided us with nothing. Tuktuk driver (Mr Ny was good from Hyatt) is $15 for a day. Buy a guidebook. Done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.