Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotels and Airlines partnership; Where does Hyatt fit in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels and Airlines partnership; Where does Hyatt fit in?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
It's doubtful that AA would even consider Hyatt over Hilton, and even IHG.
your probably right however Hilton for whatever reason seems to be more and more a "tired" brand. Many of their properties are increasingly not to what one would expect in standards. Example In oregon I saw an old Phoenix Inn converted to a Double Tree ! The property is an old style building, new paint and thats it !!!

I have stayed in several " Hiltons " and never walked back in. While I am Diamond this year it will be my last.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
final thought, would Hyatt be able to team up with an airline with a hotel partner already or would that be a big no no
I actually thought it would be a Hyatt / UA partnership. So who knows, maybe Chase can broker a deal. Though one would imagine that Marriott anticipated this type of arrangement, and put some sort of exclusivity clause in their pre-nup!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I hope no partnership happens. I prefer programs not be tied to eachother. I love Hyatts and if this happens it would flood the doors with new members.

I say stay as is!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I hope no partnership happens. I prefer programs not be tied to eachother. I love Hyatts and if this happens it would flood the doors with new members.
isn't that the point though for both partners?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
isn't that the point though for both partners?
I have airline status on 3 airlines, I don't really want people who haven't earned diamond to be diamond. Upgrades will go down, lounges will become more crowded.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hobo13
I generally don't like these 'How will XXX affect YYY threads....' but this one seems more interesting to me.

DL and SPG got hitched a few months ago.
Then it was UA and Marriott's turn yesterday.
Speculation is that AA and Hilton will be next.

Where will this leave Hyatt? I suppose that WN, B6, and VX are still standing around the edges of the dance floor (and so is Spirit!!!). But I just can't really imagine a Hyatt / WN hook-up, even though my recent stays at HP/HH's may indicate otherwise.

Oh, how times are changing.

Wishful thinking moment: Hyatt realizes that they got blindsided by this round of partnership activity and fights back aggressively by reintroducing FFN's, Gx bonuses..... or heck, just a summer PROMOTION!

For me personally, I can get:
1. MR Gold via UA status
2. IHG Plat via a CC
3. Hilton Gold via a CC
4. Carlson Gold via a CC
5. And SPG Gold via a CC and a modest number of C&P / award bookings

Sure, all the CC's required have a modest fee, but that modest fee more than covers the annual free night cert that also accompanies the CC. In the case of Hilton and MR, Gold actually seems like a really good level of status. (And of course, I could put Hyatt Platt on the list -- though I think it's more on par with SPG Gold)

As I said to my wife yesterday, are those suite upgrades REALLY worth the extra trouble (and sometimes expense) to stay at Hyatt's all year? Her answer.... probably not.
For DL, it's not a monogamous marriage; there's already adultery happening. Many DL elites received a targeted offer of free Carlson Gold. I claimed mine yesterday.

Hyatt could hook up with Alaska. Or maybe JetBlue or Virgin America. But not Southwest: the images of the two companies and their customers are very different. Being linked with Spirit would be the kiss of death to any company in the hospitality/service industry.

Before the US merger, AA and Hyatt could have been a natural pairing, with both being small of stature and footprint but considered good.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For DL, it's not a monogamous marriage; there's already adultery happening. Many DL elites received a targeted offer of free Carlson Gold. I claimed mine yesterday.

Hyatt could hook up with Alaska. Or maybe JetBlue or Virgin America. But not Southwest: the images of the two companies and their customers are very different. Being linked with Spirit would be the kiss of death to any company in the hospitality/service industry.

Before the US merger, AA and Hyatt could have been a natural pairing, with both being small of stature and footprint but considered good.
Excellant point. My thoughts is Hyatt may not "jump" into the fray. I do not think Hyatt really needs the alliance nor do I believe that many high mileage travelers would be all that swayed. In my case I have my preferred based on my travel needs and location. Living in WA AS is the natural carrier especially with their growing foot print. Hotel preference is a personal thing to a degree. I for example have begun to use Marriott and Hyatt exclusively, preferring the higher quality and service.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Being linked with Spirit would be the kiss of death to any company in the hospitality/service industry.
Again, that was tongue-in-cheek.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hobo13
Lack of a significant world-wide footprint?

Lack of a world-wide credit card?

If you notice, the other airline / hotel partnerships are between companies that have the same CC pimp. It's just that Hyatt lost out to Marriott, which is also a Chase card. BUT, Southwest is also a Chase card and is so far unaffiliated, so there may be hope for Hyatt after all....
Actually, British Airways has a Chase card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.