Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus points for missing credit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Bonus points for missing credit

I've recently read a number of posts regarding 50% bonus points being due when such things as the diamond amenity points or the bonus points for club lounge closure are not automatically posted, requiring a request to be submitted to GP.

My question is if bonus points are supposed to be awarded when points are credited for a stay but are well short of the correct number of base points.

One hotel I stay at frequently consistently shortchanges me on base points. For the most recent stay I contacted GP and found that the hotel has recorded more than 1/3 of the total spend as ineligible; tax is 5% and there's a 10% service charge, but everything else was room and room service food (no alcohol). GP told me there was nothing they could do, so I contacted the hotel directly, and they admitted that the points credited were too few and said they would contact GP to have it corrected. No offer of any compensation for the trouble of 3 emails to GP and one phone call to the hotel.

Over the past 2 years this has happened at least a dozen times at this same property. I'm usually not that diligent in checking that base points are correctly calculated, but all by stays at this property are just one night, so while the shortage is not that large, it is also very noticeable. With charges for taxes, service, and sometimes alcohol excluded and differences in the exchange rates used, it is painstaking to figure out whether a base point credit of 10,000 points is short by 300 points, but it is pretty obvious when only 500 points are credited instead of 800.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:31 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
On rare occasions, like just once time, after I reported points discrepancies to the nice telephone staff at HGP, they offered 1000 bonus points "for all the trouble you've been through". It was a completely unsolicited yet thoroughly appreciated offer. I couldn't begin to guess what might happen if someone were to specifically ask for bonus points for general aggravation with things not adding up correctly.
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I've recently read a number of posts regarding 50% bonus points being due when such things as the diamond amenity points or the bonus points for club lounge closure are not automatically posted, requiring a request to be submitted to GP.

My question is if bonus points are supposed to be awarded when points are credited for a stay but are well short of the correct number of base points.

One hotel I stay at frequently consistently shortchanges me on base points. For the most recent stay I contacted GP and found that the hotel has recorded more than 1/3 of the total spend as ineligible; tax is 5% and there's a 10% service charge, but everything else was room and room service food (no alcohol). GP told me there was nothing they could do, so I contacted the hotel directly, and they admitted that the points credited were too few and said they would contact GP to have it corrected. No offer of any compensation for the trouble of 3 emails to GP and one phone call to the hotel.

Over the past 2 years this has happened at least a dozen times at this same property. I'm usually not that diligent in checking that base points are correctly calculated, but all by stays at this property are just one night, so while the shortage is not that large, it is also very noticeable. With charges for taxes, service, and sometimes alcohol excluded and differences in the exchange rates used, it is painstaking to figure out whether a base point credit of 10,000 points is short by 300 points, but it is pretty obvious when only 500 points are credited instead of 800.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
On rare occasions, like just once time, after I reported points discrepancies to the nice telephone staff at HGP, they offered 1000 bonus points "for all the trouble you've been through". It was a completely unsolicited yet thoroughly appreciated offer. I couldn't begin to guess what might happen if someone were to specifically ask for bonus points for general aggravation with things not adding up correctly.
Okay, that answers my question; so unlike complete failures to post as described elsewhere, there are no automatic points due for such shortchanges. I would only ask for them if it was specified somewhere that I should be getting them.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
The only automatic addition is for the diamond amenity and IME only if the stay posts but the hotel fails to add the amenity. If the entire stay is missing you will get only the normal amount of points once it is added by GP agents.

50% bonus for the closed RC/GC bonus that failed to post is not a policy (as opposed to the 50% bonus for the diamond amenity) and I haven't gotten it before.

I also ran into issues with base points being less than what they should have been and have received "points for my trouble" on multiple occasions (I think the highest was 2k). However, these are the goodwill tokens and not something that you should count on receiving every time.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by todorovic

50% bonus for the closed RC/GC bonus that failed to post is not a policy (as opposed to the 50% bonus for the diamond amenity) and I haven't gotten it before.
This is the first I've heard - is it specified on the Hyatt website anywhere? I've had to request 1,000 bonus amenity points after the fact a few times but was never given the 50% bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.