Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hyatt in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Which Hyatt in NYC?

I'm looking at the Hyatt hotels in NYC for later this month, and am trying to decide which one to stay at. I did a search and nothing came up comparing all of the NyC hotels, so hopefully this will help sort of consolidate things and help others who have a similar inquiry.

I will likely use points for one night, and cash the other two. It is my first time in NYC and I will be arriving by bus or train in from Boston, and then departing by bus or train to DC.

I'm probably going to do some of the typical touristy things, but will be seeing friends who will also show me around, etc. Ideally some place that is conveniently located to some tourist places and public transport, as well as good restaurants.

I've ruled out the Andaz Wall Street because it is not that convenient. But the other five hotels are up for consideration. After reading the previous threads, all appear to have mostly mixed reviews on here.

Hyatt union- 340/cat 5
Hyatt place-230/cat 4
Grand Hyatt- 260/cat 6
Hyatt 48 Lex- 340/cat 5
Andaz 5th- 340/cat 6

As of now, due to price and location, Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Place are top contenders, but maybe someone can convince me to stay at one of the other three?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by UAL747fan; Jul 7, 2013 at 4:11 am
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:07 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
IMO the Andaz is the best choice. It's location is as good as the GH except 2 blocks to grand central. My second choice would be the Grand Hyatt based on price only.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:56 am

I would not stay at the Hyatt 48 Lexington. Rooms are tiny and AC noisy.

Grand Hyatt is OK.

I have not tried the Hyatt place.

Andaz 5h avenue would be my preference
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's all about what you are willing to spend.... The HP is not bad (based on the reviews here). But for me the GH works as well if the price is right due to the location. Only you can determine if the extra price for the Andaz is worth it to you, it's a better hotel for a higher price. As are a lot of things.....

But all of them have an extensive review thread here, so you might search a bit harder :-).
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the higher end, I've given up entirely on Hyatt in NYC at least until the PH opens. The Andaz 5th might be OK if, and only if, you don't need a dark room to sleep in. The hotel has no blackout curtains and the shades let in a lot of light.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:42 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
No matter which property you book, get busy looking for a Best Rate Guarantee.

I'd book the Grand Hyatt based on price and location. If you arrive by train it's just seriously sweet to step off the train and you're a few steps from the front desk.

I've always enjoyed every stay at GH NYC. Perhaps it's best to NOT read the review threads until after your stay
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone. After reading though some more of the reviews on here, it looks as though I will be booking the Grand Hyatt. Was also able to get the rate down from 260 to 205 with BRG
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
No matter which property you book, get busy looking for a Best Rate Guarantee.

I'd book the Grand Hyatt based on price and location. If you arrive by train it's just seriously sweet to step off the train and you're a few steps from the front desk.

I've always enjoyed every stay at GH NYC. Perhaps it's best to NOT read the review threads until after your stay
A train from Boston will not arrive at Grand Central.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:17 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
A train from Boston will not arrive at Grand Central.
Oops! Thanks for the info! I've never taken a train from Boston but I have taken the train from Bridgeport CT and it does arrive at Grand Central.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.