Diamond Status Value

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
deleted

Last edited by schriste; Jun 21, 2013 at 9:00 am Reason: off topic
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
You have a lot to learn.... Yes they know what you SPEND... The hotels have access to your account, they see the revenue points you earn and the bonus points.. in the end it's all about REVENUE....
Get a clue why they have a revenue manager, they keep track on how much their frequent guest SPEND and reward them....

I know this first hand...as there are certain hotels I direct a lot of $$$ to... and I get well taken care of. I get a phone calls from the revenue manager before I arrive!!!, not the GM but a revenue, or rooms manager to make sure I'm taken care of. HAHA!
Exactly. So, who cares what joe schmo spends? You just made my point. If you spend X, it doesn't matter what anyone else spends to get the status.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Your $10K annual spend is an average of $400/night if you make 25 one night stays. Or $200/night for 50 nights. You should be able to hit Diamond if you strategically plan your stays.
My average rate per night is actually far higher than 400$. I have 3 weeks of vacation time per year -- as long as membership requirements are stay/night based instead of revenue based, I will not be diamond no matter how much I spend. I really do not have the time or inclination to game the system with mattress runs. And this isn't about the validation of status, either -- this is about the suite upgrades which would mean an awful lot to the kind of traveler that I am (high-dollar leisure.)
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:27 am

Hyatt seriously needs to add a revenue component in order to qualify for an elite level.

$750 for platinum
$5,000 for Diamond

As a Diamond who spends on average $8,000 to $15,000 (my room only) a year at Hyatt it cheapens the elite level when you have someone who is a Diamond that only generated $1,000 in revenue to achieve that status.

But in the end.... they know how much you spend, not all Diamonds are treated the same.
How does someone else's expenditure for Diamond affect your personal experience, especially since you seem to think Hyatt already values you highly?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by JetAway
How does someone else's expenditure for Diamond affect your personal experience, especially since you seem to think Hyatt already values you highly?
seems like some people tend to use these types pf threads to communicate wealth (or perception of it) more so than anything else. Ye old "I spend XX,XXX per year at _____" or "I always spend 4/500 per night" ... thus I deserve more or am better attitude.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Intercontinental, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
What do you value the Hyatt Diamond Status?
$2,220 for this year
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
seems like some people tend to use these types pf threads to communicate wealth (or perception of it) more so than anything else. Ye old "I spend XX,XXX per year at _____" or "I always spend 4/500 per night" ... thus I deserve more or am better attitude.
I think you're right. However, these loyalty programs aren't country clubs.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Can't remember where it was posted, but there was some discussion here about 6-7 levels of diamond too. So what you spend probably works into that too already.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
You have a lot to learn.... Yes they know what you SPEND... The hotels have access to your account, they see the revenue points you earn and the bonus points.. in the end it's all about REVENUE....
Get a clue why they have a revenue manager, they keep track on how much their frequent guest SPEND and reward them....

I know this first hand...as there are certain hotels I direct a lot of $$$ to... and I get well taken care of. I get a phone calls from the revenue manager before I arrive!!!, not the GM but a revenue, or rooms manager to make sure I'm taken care of. HAHA!

SO! What you are saying: The diamond with the little stays have less benefit than that regular member with the expensive spending!?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
SO! What you are saying: The diamond with the little stays have less benefit than that regular member with the expensive spending!?
Exactly! I don't know what "taken care of" means, but I prefer to spend most of my waking hours AWAY from the hotel and enjoying great restaurants, plays, parks, and night clubs. I go to a hotel to have a pleasant sleep - not to enjoy a fine bottle of wine sent to my room. And I never pay $400+ a night for the privilege. How boring.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Originally Posted by DCBob
Exactly! I don't know what "taken care of" means, but I prefer to spend most of my waking hours AWAY from the hotel and enjoying great restaurants, plays, parks, and night clubs. I go to a hotel to have a pleasant sleep - not to enjoy a fine bottle of wine sent to my room. And I never pay $400+ a night for the privilege. How boring.
+1

Only place I like to have a nice large room is when I'm traveling with family on vacation.. On business I could care less as long as its clean and quiet.

I'm a Diamond.. just qualified again for the year last week. I'd guess I average around $130 per night so I suppose I'm one of those Diamonds you guys despise.. Diamond "Lite"

I value Diamond Status as I'm a hotel hopper and so I can get a bump in points with the Diamond Amenity while staying at cheaper hotels.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:19 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan

When we were doing the Diamond Status trial we were upgraded at every Hyatt we stayed at to a nice suite. We had only 1 other stay at a Hyatt location in the last 2 years up to that point... if you're saying that someone who spends a lot of money at Hyatt's get's even more then I will be okay getting my suite upgrades and other Diamond benefits without having to "break the bank".
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
The value definitely makes me give more loyalty to Hyatt, aka stay at their properties vs a somewhat cheaper same class competitor or stay at their property vs. a more convenient location competitor. Marriott Platinum doesn't have this effect on due to their low weekend pleasure stay value proposition and SPG has a milder effect than gold passport.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
My stay profile is roughly
- 40% Hyatt Place at $89-$129/night,
- 30% less expensive FS Hyatts (think Grand Hyatt Tampa and Hyatt Dulles) for leisure probably averaging $100/night, and
- 30% older but relatively expensive ($225-$275/night) domestic properties such as Crystal City, GH SF, and Boston/Cambridge.

I redeem 4-5 nights a year at Cat 5-6 properties.

If I had to put a $ on the value of my benefits each year as Diamond, I'd have to place it at around $1000. Some very lovely upgrades (both with the 4 certs and without), a couple of dozen full buffet breakfasts, lots of free internet. Plus the 500/1000 per stay and the 15% bonus. I tend not to stay at places with Regency Clubs as I'd rather have the full buffet breakfast instead of the evening snacks.

Would I pay $1k for Diamond? Nah. But I've paid $300 to retain it before. I had a slow 2Q and am only at 11 stays so far. I should still hit 25 by the end of the year, and if not I happen to live in a city where $65/night December stays aren't hard to find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.