Wiki Posts
Search

GH Dubai during Ramadan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
Question GH Dubai during Ramadan

We have a 3 day stopover in Dubai which falls during Ramadan. We are booked into a suite. Does anyone know what can I expect as far as availability of food and drink during daylight hours at the GH Dubai?

We are not Muslim, so I know we are not expected to fast, but I am concerned that the hotel will not have the usual amenities available during the day.

Has anyone else done this? What was your experience?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I was at the Hyatt in Doha during Ramadan and there was no difference in the services, availability of food, etc..
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by keiko
We have a 3 day stopover in Dubai which falls during Ramadan. We are booked into a suite. Does anyone know what can I expect as far as availability of food and drink during daylight hours at the GH Dubai?

We are not Muslim, so I know we are not expected to fast, but I am concerned that the hotel will not have the usual amenities available during the day.

Has anyone else done this? What was your experience?
You shouldn't notice any differance except maybe screens to hide the resturants during the daylight. Doha does not allow adult drinks at all during Ramadan and I would expect Dubai to be the same.

You may want to see if the hotel host an iftar or Sohar dinner. Many of the hotels in Doha do and it is an experince if you have never attended one, I would recommend.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
Doha does not allow adult drinks at all during Ramadan and I would expect Dubai to be the same.
You can drink to your hearts content during the Ramadan in Dubai. Not sure, why I received a red wine bottle as my Diamond amenity at the GH Doha last year during the Ramadan?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by holtju2
You can drink to your hearts content during the Ramadan in Dubai. Not sure, why I received a red wine bottle as my Diamond amenity at the GH Doha last year during the Ramadan?
Did Doha serve drinks through room service or make them available in minibars? It would seem rude to drink in a lobby bar or other place in public view, but a closed off bar, especially if open only to hotel guest or foreigners, might be less of an issue during Ramadan.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I was at the GH Dubai during Ramadan. All they do is put up tents near the pool where you are asked to consume your food if you eat any. I think people still drank water near the pool, outside the tents.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are religious people not allowed to consume plain water during the day during Ramadan? Surely there must be exceptions very young babies, the very old, and those with medical conditions, especially in extremely hot weather.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are religious people not allowed to consume plain water during the day during Ramadan? Surely there must be exceptions very young babies, the very old, and those with medical conditions, especially in extremely hot weather.
Yes, there are exceptions for precisely the groups you have outlined.

To the OP: to amend my statement: I've only been in Doha during Ramadan, so there may be some restrictions on where alcohol/food can be consumed which I mistook for "normal" However, I was not forced, not even expected, to abstain nor did I feel uncomfortable eating lunch, etc.. in the same way that I didn't feel uncomfortable by not wearing a veil/head scarf at all times.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
You may want to see if the hotel host an iftar or Sohar dinner. Many of the hotels in Doha do and it is an experince if you have never attended one, I would recommend.
+1!

Though my experiences have been elsewhere. Great food. Very warm hospitality. Especially walking in as a solo traveler. I seek them out during Ramadan. One was in London, actually.

Last edited by Firewind; Jan 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did Doha serve drinks through room service or make them available in minibars? It would seem rude to drink in a lobby bar or other place in public view, but a closed off bar, especially if open only to hotel guest or foreigners, might be less of an issue during Ramadan.
I heard you can still have drinks from your mini bar but I have also heard they lock the mini bar or empty it out. I would think you can still use the mini bar as I still drink at my home as I stock up before Ramadan starts to ensure I have enough to last for the entire month.

However, the hotel bar will not serve alcohol and you will not be able to purchase it anywhere else in Doha. It doors seem like Dubai allows it.

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Yes, there are exceptions for precisely the groups you have outlined.

To the OP: to amend my statement: I've only been in Doha during Ramadan, so there may be some restrictions on where alcohol/food can be consumed which I mistook for "normal" However, I was not forced, not even expected, to abstain nor did I feel uncomfortable eating lunch, etc.. in the same way that I didn't feel uncomfortable by not wearing a veil/head scarf at all times.
You shouldn't feel uncomfortable in a hotel but if you venture out and you smoke, drink water or eat in public then someone may make you feel extremely uncomfortable. This also applies to cloths. Ladies should not show their shoulders our knees in pubic during Ramadan. Again this is in Doha, sounds like Dubai and barhain may be more lax.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I heard you can still have drinks from your mini bar but I have also heard they lock the mini bar or empty it out. I would think you can still use the mini bar as I still drink at my home as I stock up before Ramadan starts to ensure I have enough to last for the entire month.

However, the hotel bar will not serve alcohol and you will not be able to purchase it anywhere else in Doha. It doors seem like Dubai allows it.

You shouldn't feel uncomfortable in a hotel but if you venture out and you smoke, drink water or eat in public then someone may make you feel extremely uncomfortable. This also applies to cloths. Ladies should not show their shoulders our knees in pubic during Ramadan. Again this is in Doha, sounds like Dubai and barhain may be more lax.
This is precisely my point: we were out and about all week, at restaurants, the mall, etc... and did not encounter problems. We always covered our knees and shoulders - but we would have dressed this way whether it was Ramadan or not.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
I find the Ramadan rules confusing. There is no way I can go all day without water, and I know women are exempt if "indisposed", but how can they tell? I also read the eating & drinking in public is illegal in UAE during Ramadan, and then that it is not expected if not a Muslim.

I am totally confused.

Except about covering up. I'll do that anyway or I will be burnt to a crisp (I am very pale).
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
This is precisely my point: we were out and about all week, at restaurants, the mall, etc... and did not encounter problems. We always covered our knees and shoulders - but we would have dressed this way whether it was Ramadan or not.
I'm not sure what restaurants you went to as the only restaurants open during ramadan are the hotel restaurants in Doha. Even the grocery stores have signaificantly reduced hours.

I find the Ramadan rules confusing. There is no way I can go all day without water, and I know women are exempt if "indisposed", but how can they tell? I also read the eating & drinking in public is illegal in UAE during Ramadan, and then that it is not expected if not a Muslim.

I am totally confused.

Except about covering up. I'll do that anyway or I will be burnt to a crisp (I am very pale).
You can eat and drink but not in public. For instance at my work we block off meeting rooms for eating a snack or drinking coffee/water, we are not allowed to do this at our desk. These rooms are 'blacked out' so that no one can see in. This is the same for smoking, they conceal the smoking area.

As long as you are not in plain sight and not blatant about it then you will be fine in public. Again, I think Dubai is lenient and you shouldn't have to worry about this in a hotel.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:23 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

I am totally confused.

No-one expects you to not drink water all day. Just don't do it in public out of respect for others. As your location is Sydney, I'll direct you to DFAT's info on the Smart Traveller webiste http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...tabscontent0-5

During Ramadan, eating, drinking and smoking between sunrise and sunset is forbidden for Muslims.

I won't even respond to your question about women.

You are travelling to a foreign country, respect the local custom and culture as you would anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.