Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dulles Area Hyatts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I quite dislike the Hyatt House Herndon. Had to stay there during the big snowstorm a couple of years ago and realized when I pulled in that it's an old exterior-access Summerfield property... don't like having to schlep luggage up two flights of stairs to get to my room. (Even worse during a foot of snow!)

I am partial to the Hyatt Dulles, it appears from the floor maps that every room is a junior suite and the rates are often $71 on weekends. The HP down the street is perfectly acceptable if you're just going to sleep. The Hyatt Reston has the Town Center which is really convenient if you don't have a car. (The Hyatt Dulles does have a shuttle 2-3x/evening over to the Town Center, however.)

I've not been to the Fair Lakes property, but it is not what I would consider particularly close to the airport, at least 15 minutes with no traffic.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Reston Hyatt is on my no-fly list, unless there is a really good promo going on. But that's because I live within walking distance of the property

Seriously, I'm not a huge fan of the Reston Town Center -- too chainy for my tastes. But, if one wants to head into the city and not rent a car, there's a bust that leaves from the RTC and is more or less express service to the West Falls Church Metro. On Saturday nights, one can leave the city just before midnight and catch the last bus to the hotel.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I like the Reston the most for the hotel - really classy - and its easily walkable proximity to the rest of the Town Center complex, shops and dining establishments. Oh, and it is not an old town center. Created in - what - the '90s out of forest. All very modern. When I stayed at the Reston, it had a shuttle to IAD.

I like the view from the HR Dulles, which sits up on a hill, and there isn't anything for many miles in most directions.

The Fair Lakes is in an office park. Nothing to distinguish it, IMO. Meh. But the most convenient into DC by car.

If you wait until a couple weeks ahead to commit, you're very likely to see rock-bottom rates at all of the DC area Hyatts. But you have to keep your ear to the rail for the lowest. The Fair Lakes can be best - but there can be surprisingly - relatively - $80 - good rates downtown - even at the Grand Hyatt. DC is a ghost town around Thanksgiving, and Christmas to New Year's.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I will be in the middle of a Diamond trial and part of my mattress running will be a visit to the Udar Hzay center with my kids. Trying to pick a Hyatt; either Dulles or Fairfax (Reston's pool is closed). Any idea if one or the other would be a better choice with a 2 and 5 yr old? Looks like the rooms at both are jr suitish....

FDW
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
At Fairfax, I think there is a sidewalk to the neighboring food/retail chains

It's been a few years since I did a MR at Fairfax, it was dumpy, never seen/visited a pool there

Dulles is a bit nicer, the pool is indoors though

Dulles breakfast is ok, Hyatt standard
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:30 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 4aks
At Fairfax, I think there is a sidewalk to the neighboring food/retail chains

It's been a few years since I did a MR at Fairfax, it was dumpy, never seen/visited a pool there

Dulles is a bit nicer, the pool is indoors though

Dulles breakfast is ok, Hyatt standard
Thanks. Need an indoor pool so that's what knocks he hyatt places and hyatt houses out. I think both properties have had a soft goods renovation at least.

FairfAx seems to have a bit more for the kids like foodwise...

FDW
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:41 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
FYI, the Hyatt Place Herndon/Dulles Airport-East is across the street from the Hyatt Dulles, is fairly new (2011-12??) and has an indoor pool.

I've had decent stays at both properties, just go with whichever is cheapest.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thanks. Need an indoor pool so that's what knocks he hyatt places and hyatt houses out. I think both properties have had a soft goods renovation at least.

FairfAx seems to have a bit more for the kids like foodwise...

FDW
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Enjoyed a very pleasant stay recently at Hyatt Dulles in a jr. suite type of room. Good breakfast and prompt shuttle to/from IAD. Weekend rate in the $70-80 range.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Has any stayed at the Hyatt House Sterling (not the Herndon one) recently? I have two stays bookending by flights at Dulles and was wondering how it was as the rates are competitive. I have stayed at the Hyatt Dulles a few times and twice I have had to change my room up on the top floor because it was musty/molding smelling so I kinda want to try something else or go back to the Hilton Dulles which I do like.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

That's a relatively recent property, so it's in pretty good shape. The windows open a little, which lets you get some fresh air into the room.

I think I have gotten jipped on the "best available" rule before...when I booked a "guest room" they didn't give me the larger room even when it showed available on the website. But it was a perfectly good bed so I didn't mind so much.

Unfortunately, they don't have a park-and-fly, last I checked. But that was over a year ago, so might be worth calling.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by So
[B
Fair Lakes vs Dulles[/B]: There is nothing around Dulles, but there are two malls a very short walk from Fair Lakes, plus the Fairfax Corner (name??) a short drive. Fair Lakes is also slightly more convenient to downtown DC (take 66 east and no tolls). Both hotels are a bit tired, but food and staff and other facilities are fine, and similar, at both.
That's not true. I used to work across from the Hyatt Dulles. There's a rather larger shopping plaza the locals refer to as the "Clocktower" that's ~ a mile away by foot, 10+ restaurants in that shopping center, a Gold's gym, a couple local watering holes, and a grocery store. As a local, Reston is the obvious choice if you are looking for things to do, HP East/HR Dulles for proximity to IAD, and FL if you need to be in the Fairfax area or closer to DC.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Bumping this thread in case it's helpful for others too, who will benefit from this information.

In case anyone is traveling with someone in a wheelchair and you aren't getting a rental car, here's a list of the airport Hyatts with an airport shuttle and if they have an ADA-equipped vehicle or not:
Hyatt Regency Dulles: No, no alternatives
Hyatt Place Herndon/Dulles-Airport East: Yes, but 24-48 hrs notice is recommended
Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport North: No, no alternatives
Hyatt Place Chantilly/Dulles Airport South: No, but will pay for Washington Flyer (accessible) upon arrival
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport North: No, but will pay for Washington Flyer (accessible) upon arrival

DCA:
Hyatt Regency Crystal City: Yes, but 24 hrs notice is recommended

*Info current as of 8/14/23
Old Aug 27, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
I stayed at the Hyatt Place Herndon/Dulles Airport-East this past May. It's about a 5-10 minute walk from the Innovation Center metro station, which is on the Silver Line and one stop from Dulles airport. Although the walk is short, the hotel does have a shuttle to the metro station. A great place if you need an airport hotel and want to stay at at Hyatt family hotel. tls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.